Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 04:21 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,082,980 times

Advertisements

For a month or more now there's a camera with some fancy equipment on a pole on Union Turnpike facing westbound between the Cross Island Parkway and Winchester Boulevard, but closer to the CIP. It's not a red light camera as there is no red light in view of the camera. Anyone know if this is a speed camera? It's near a fairly new high school but the school grounds are north of Union Turnpike and there is no pedestrian traffic or crossing where the camera is. I'm guessing it must be a speed camera so I stay close to 30 mph but cars are speeding left and right around me. Anyone else notice this camera or know what it's doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 8,517 times
If it has a white,rectangle box (a radar gun) next to it,then it might very well be a speeding trap.Though,it might be there to tell how fast traffic is moving.I have seen one also in Staten Island on the 278 next to the construction sight.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:56 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Has anyone seen a good online map with all these speed traps marked out yet?

Old 07-18-2014, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 8,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
For a month or more now there's a camera with some fancy equipment on a pole on Union Turnpike facing westbound between the Cross Island Parkway and Winchester Boulevard, but closer to the CIP. It's not a red light camera as there is no red light in view of the camera. Anyone know if this is a speed camera? It's near a fairly new high school but the school grounds are north of Union Turnpike and there is no pedestrian traffic or crossing where the camera is. I'm guessing it must be a speed camera so I stay close to 30 mph but cars are speeding left and right around me. Anyone else notice this camera or know what it's doing?
It is a speed camera, my dad and I just got 2 notices this week for doing 41 in a 30 (school zone) both incidents a week apart. $50 fine.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:58 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omerc10696 View Post
It is a speed camera, my dad and I just got 2 notices this week for doing 41 in a 30 (school zone) both incidents a week apart. $50 fine.
The school as I noted in the original post is north of Union Turnpike and there is no pedestrian crossing (or pedestrian traffic for that matter) where the camera is located. In fact there is a sign on the north side of Union Turnpike indicating no pedestrians allowed. The camera is on a wide open part of the road where it's going to be easy to catch people doing more than 40. If they were really doing it for student safety the camera would be near Commonwealth Boulevard where students cross the street.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:02 AM

21 posts, read 34,005 times
The cops are about every two blocks on eastern park way.brooklyn.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 8,232 times
A few weeks ago I received a letter in the mail from the Department of Finance Parking and Red Light Violation Monitoring Program. It detailed that the driver of the photographed vehicle was observed speeding in a school speed zone located between Union Turnpike and Cross Island Parkway, going Westbound. It also specified that the vehicle was traveling at a speed of more than ten miles per hour. The posted speed limit is 30 mph and the statement/ticket stated that I was going 41 mph. I honestly believe that this traffic camera is a fixed camera and is targeting innocent individuals in order to gain City revenue in conjunction with the D.O.T. I know for a fact that I was not going 11 miles over the limit beause I was driving my Mother who is a stroke patient in the car with me as we were coming from one of her doctors appointment. I always adhere to the speed limit and is especially mindful when she is my passenger. It is extremely sad that the City would stoop so low to ticket the inncoent. It is also unfortunate that we put all of our time and effort in to voting for State Senators and local Assemblyman and Assemblywoman who do not do enough to advocate for their communitites. This would be a community problem to address. As I was reading the previous discussions on this forum I could not believe how similar our experiences were. For example, what are the odds that we all get ticketed for speeding 41 in a 30 school zone (11 mph over) and then being charged $50.00. This is no coincidence so this confirmed to me and my Mother that this camera was posted there for the purpose of fraudulently ticketing people.

Last edited by 1Reese; 08-12-2014 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: miss spelled words

Old 08-12-2014, 01:14 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,005 times
Right..the camera is wrong and you don't speed. You were only doing 30. Good for you.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:38 PM

8,688 posts, read 11,076,893 times
ok, so how fast do you THINK you were hoing 1Reese?

Old 08-13-2014, 09:16 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
ok, so how fast do you THINK you were hoing 1Reese?
Everyone thinks they are god's perfect angel! Everyone else is the problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City