Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 07:44 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,902,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Bwhahaha you wouldn’t be saying this if it was the Saint Patrick’s Day Parade with people getting drunk, fighting, yelling, and punching people.

Please.

No industry? A lot of the intricate and elaborate costumes take months to make and theyre litterally in high demand.

I agree it’s probably not on the same level of the Trinindad carnival but it does take skill to make and I know the steel pan bands put in a lot of practice for the parade.

Yes they are celebrating their culture.
notice how we don't get the same racially charged comments during those holidays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 08:11 PM

2,606 posts, read 3,406,498 times
I'm actually pleasantly surprised that this year's event went down calmly and peacefully. Yeah, I was one of those people that thought it was going to get ugly but I really hope it continues with this trend.

Old 09-08-2022, 05:39 AM

19,060 posts, read 13,989,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
notice how we don't get the same racially charged comments during those holidays
I don’t recall a single shooting at ANY of the 2 different borough St. Patty’s parades I worked over the course of 18 years.

I was at individual West Indian parades with more shootings than who precincts have in a year.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-08-2022, 05:53 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,263,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I'm actually pleasantly surprised that this year's event went down calmly and peacefully. Yeah, I was one of those people that thought it was going to get ugly but I really hope it continues with this trend.
The parade was on heavy lockdown. Last thing Adams needed was things to pop off at the parade.

Old 09-08-2022, 05:55 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,263,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
...and the ones who come here usually work bout 3, 4, 5 jobs, but you completely omit that fact.. oh ok. got it
Let's says this is true (which in general it's not), what does this have to do with my previous statement? They're in the US, right?

Old 09-08-2022, 06:10 AM

2,449 posts, read 1,224,277 times
22 shot in city that weekend, but the parade was OK....no one collects the pool cause no one picked Zero. Money rolls over to next years pool. Stay tuned

Old 09-08-2022, 06:34 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,155,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
22 shot in city that weekend, but the parade was OK....no one collects the pool cause no one picked Zero. Money rolls over to next years pool. Stay tuned

LOL, but I'm glad no one was shot or killed at my favorite 3rd World parade.

Old 09-08-2022, 06:59 AM

11,358 posts, read 16,723,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Nope. In fact my whole career until the very end when it mattered most, I never liked overtime at all. 18 years of avoiding most of it only to suddenly get hundreds of pensionable hours dumped in my lap over 3 weeks. I hit the lottery and promptly retired early!
How is it possible to work an extra hundreds of hours over 3 weeks?

Old 09-08-2022, 07:50 AM

19,060 posts, read 13,989,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
How is it possible to work an extra hundreds of hours over 3 weeks?
Well:

Step one is to allow roving bands of rioters and anarchists to take over the city for 3 weeks plus.

Step two is to have well-placed friends with access to over time assignments.

Step three is to decide that you are going to retire so nothing that happens over the next however long matters other than racking up OT.

Step four is to be someone who’s deployed to combat zones multiple times, hence developing the ability to stay awake for days on end without noticeable depreciation in functionality.

Step five is to turn in a huge stack of overtime slips at the same time as your retirement paperwork.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-08-2022, 08:54 AM

12 posts, read 13,989 times
Really unfair to compare St Patrick day parade which is hundreds of years old vs the Carribean day Parade. Im sure lotsa folks got killed/raped/etct in the Patty's 1700s parades. This is just another case of the old immigrants sh*tting on the new immigrants, nothing to see here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City