Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your experience if you had a speeding ticket
Pled guilty and paid fine 4 40.00%
Pled not guilty, went to hearing, successful, fine or points reduced 1 10.00%
Pled not guilty, went to hearing, unsuccessful, paid fine 1 10.00%
Other (please explain below?) 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 11:57 PM

86 posts, read 168,702 times

Advertisements

My 20 year old son got a speeding ticket in the Bronx. $203 and 6 points. The ticket says "Speed in Zone 11-30". He had 1 previous violation, a parking ticket 3 years ago, which we paid.

My son and I both felt he should just plead guilty and pay up, feeling that there's probably not much chance of getting it dismissed or reduced. I read this thread with posts from people with good driving records who fought speeding tickets with no success:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...ars-ago-3.html

But I talked to a friend who said that he's known cases of people pleading not guilty, going to the hearing and getting the fine and points reduced. Has anyone here experienced that or heard of it? Is it really worth a try?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2021, 02:03 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
No such thing as plea bargaining in New York City ..that is only in Long Island and outside the city .

You can only be 100% guilty or a 100% innocent…..my 30 year good record meant nothing as far as getting a reduction .

Nyc has no court or judge for traffic violations..you go to a dmc hearing office with an administrator who has no latitude to plea bargain anything down .

About the best you can do is if you are very close to where the points increase by a miles per hour or two difference is argue the radar accuracy and maybe get them to use the lower speed but radar today is so good that it is rarely wrong

Old 09-20-2021, 07:31 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,356 times
always fight it
in nyc it's either 100 guilty or dismissed.
draw it out as long as possible and then hopefully when you finally go the cop doesn't show up. they're also probably super backed off because of covid.
Even if you get points you're still way better off drawing it out bc points don't go on your record until you're guilty but then the date of the infraction is what starts the clock on when they drop off.

Old 09-20-2021, 09:17 AM

9,121 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lister View Post
My 20 year old son got a speeding ticket in the Bronx. $203 and 6 points. The ticket says "Speed in Zone 11-30". He had 1 previous violation, a parking ticket 3 years ago, which we paid.

My son and I both felt he should just plead guilty and pay up, feeling that there's probably not much chance of getting it dismissed or reduced. I read this thread with posts from people with good driving records who fought speeding tickets with no success:

But I talked to a friend who said that he's known cases of people pleading not guilty, going to the hearing and getting the fine and points reduced. Has anyone here experienced that or heard of it? Is it really worth a try?
Interesting responses.

My take: if he is guilty, he should accept the ticket, pay the fine and live with the points. If he is not guilty, he should challenge the ticket. Isn't that the right thing to do? What am I missing here?

Old 09-20-2021, 10:06 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Interesting responses.

My take: if he is guilty, he should accept the ticket, pay the fine and live with the points. If he is not guilty, he should challenge the ticket. Isn't that the right thing to do? What am I missing here?
Interesting change of opinion! Weren't you all about the punk in Florida keeping quiet as "the right legal course" or whatever? Why not exercise your rights for a ticket?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-20-2021, 11:18 AM

5,668 posts, read 2,608,456 times
Is your son guilty? If he is, teach him responsibility and accountability. Own up. You do the crime. You pay the fine.

Old 09-20-2021, 01:55 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Interesting responses.

nope guilt or innocence doesn't matter. all that matters is time needed to fight it vs potential savings.if i get some 30 dollar parking ticket i can't fight online i'm just going to pay it because it isn't worth my time to fight it even if I shouldn't have gotten it. Something like this could cost you thousands of dollars in increased insurance costs so fight it whether or not you were speeding.

cops give out enough traffic and parking tickets that are total bs. even if it's a legitimate ticket, speed limits have NOTHING to do with safety, they're a money making scam so treat the tickets appropriately.

Old 09-20-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
always fight it
in nyc it's either 100 guilty or dismissed.
draw it out as long as possible and then hopefully when you finally go the cop doesn't show up. they're also probably super backed off because of covid.
Even if you get points you're still way better off drawing it out bc points don't go on your record until you're guilty but then the date of the infraction is what starts the clock on when they drop off.

Points are just a dmv thing as far as getting your license suspended …it has nothing to do with what your your insurer or anyone else sees .

Points go on record once convicted for 18 months from date of ticket .

Convictions are what the world sees ..they stay on your record for up to 4 years FROM DATE OF CONVICTION for your insurer to see .

Keep in mind most insurers do not call up your driving abstract unless you highlight yourself .

Taking the driver safety course highlights you As well as an accident or claim as well as buying a new car .

Delaying the conviction a year or two only delays another year or two when the clock starts ticking for those convictions to come off .

Never confuse the dmv points system which has nothing to do with the outside world with your conviction record which is up to 4 years from date of conviction and is what the world sees.
There is a good chance your insurer will not see the convictions unless you give them reason to call your record up ..I got through all four years without them seeing my 6 pointer.

And noooo , taking the driver safety course does not alter your conviction record at all ..it only removes points internally if you are in danger of getting your license suspended if you have to many points .

Taking the course will likely have the insurer pull your record since they know many who take it just got a ticket .

The discount on your liability portion may be less than the surcharge

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-20-2021 at 02:50 PM..

Old 09-20-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:

The ticket is 203 plus there is a state penalty .

When you reach 6 points you will be penalized $300 additional so 6 points is 503.00 in total
You can either pay it all at once or they bill you for three years

Old 09-20-2021, 03:29 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:

Not guilty, keep pushing it. They with schedule court in 6 months. At 6 months minus 2 days, go online and get your automatic reschedule, bam another 4-6 months later. So then one year later, go to the court and ask for another postponement, pushing another few months. It gets hard to extend after that but it's possible. The main goal is make it so much later that the cop retired or he forgot about you (unlikely that though).

The second goal is that points only go on your record as of the violation date, so that year and a half you push is a free clean record even if convicted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: