Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 07:23 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,036,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVW View Post
The Sears building is landmarked. Perhaps it will become an apartment building.
The building will be protected, but the very large parking lot is what developers will be drooling over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 10:08 AM
PVW

287 posts, read 165,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
The building will be protected, but the very large parking lot is what developers will be drooling over.
Absolutely, good point. That parking lot is huge.

Old 09-22-2021, 10:22 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Nobody's mentioning how greedy SOB's from the "producer class" sucked the company dry just like they did with Toy'R us. A few people made themselves very rich destroying iconic US companies. I do not for a second believe that there isn't room for a brick and mortar toy store in a 1st world economy. Sears needed a facelift and a expansion of it's online business. Instead some guys came in and pocketed millions to basically destroy a company and lay all of it's employees off. That's the American way.

Get an MBA, play golf with the right people, find a big company in transition, tell everyone you are the guy needed to "streamline" and "modernize" the company. Pay yourself exorbitant fees, do stock buybacks to make yourself even richer, and then when the whole thing collapses, claim you did everything you could to save the company..in other words lie while you are buying your yacht, leaving a smoldering wreck.

https://theweek.com/articles/801927/...ists-ate-sears

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...equity/561758/

Old 09-22-2021, 10:35 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Downfall of Sears

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-22-2021, 12:04 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,240,189 times
I haven’t been to one in years.

Old 09-22-2021, 04:32 PM

6,461 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Nobody's mentioning how greedy SOB's from the "producer class" sucked the company dry just like they did with Toy'R us. A few people made themselves very rich destroying iconic US companies. I do not for a second believe that there isn't room for a brick and mortar toy store in a 1st world economy. Sears needed a facelift and a expansion of it's online business. Instead some guys came in and pocketed millions to basically destroy a company and lay all of it's employees off. That's the American way.

Get an MBA, play golf with the right people, find a big company in transition, tell everyone you are the guy needed to "streamline" and "modernize" the company. Pay yourself exorbitant fees, do stock buybacks to make yourself even richer, and then when the whole thing collapses, claim you did everything you could to save the company..in other words lie while you are buying your yacht, leaving a smoldering wreck.

https://theweek.com/articles/801927/...ists-ate-sears

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...equity/561758/
That's the entire story of Sears' demise......

Old 09-23-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
That's the entire story of Sears' demise......
Yes, because I said "here is the entire story of Sears demise".

I said "nobody's mentioning", so that implies something was left out, not that this is the entire story. : smack:. Reading comprehension is an important skill.

The person who should have been responsible for making the changes Sears needed: expanded online business, faster check outs, brighter looking stores...took none of those initiatives, and made a lot of money in the process.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:22 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,660 times
Oh yeah, I almost forgot why I stopped going there. A few years ago when I was looking to buy a snowblower and noticed that the price online for one of their 2-stage Craftsman's was about $500 but when I got the store the price was significantly higher. I think it was around $630-650. So I found a clerk and told him that I wanted to purchase the snowblower but the online and store prices varied and asked him to adjust the price according to the online price. He told me that they can't adjust the prices in store and that I would need to purchase it online then chose store pickup. WTF?

I got a little annoyed and told the guy that I'm here, I don't want to go through that nonsense and they should honor the online prices. He shrugged his shoulders and said there was nothing he could do about it. I walked out and never went back. This was the Sears at the Green Acres mall. What a stupid policy. The store was run like some crappy union shop.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Oh yeah, I almost forgot why I stopped going there. A few years ago when I was looking to buy a snowblower and noticed that the price online for one of their 2-stage Craftsman's was about $500 but when I got the store the price was significantly higher. I think it was around $630-650. So I found a clerk and told him that I wanted to purchase the snowblower but the online and store prices varied and asked him to adjust the price according to the online price. He told me that they can't adjust the prices in store and that I would need to purchase it online then chose store pickup. WTF?

I got a little annoyed and told the guy that I'm here, I don't want to go through that nonsense and they should honor the online prices. He shrugged his shoulders and said there was nothing he could do about it. I walked out and never went back. This was the Sears at the Green Acres mall. What a stupid policy. The store was run like some crappy union shop.
Everything about their customer service experience sucked. It took forever to get off a line because they asked everyone about the rewards, then you couldn't retrieve the rewards because you didn't know your pin, then they asked everyone if they wanted to sign up for a credit card, and and if someone god forbid said yes, the process would take like 10 minutes. They call somebody to run their credit, etc. I'm trying to buy a pair of socks or a wrench, it can't take this long. Any sensible person in charge would have shut that whole process down in 2 seconds. You go to Target, you are out the door in less than 5 minutes after you find what you need.

A new CEO should have focused on these aspects of what made the stores seem obsolete. Lampert basically never left Florida and saw the company as a pool of assets to squeeze all the value out of.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:47 PM

6,461 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post

I asked the same question (store price vs. catalog price), about some other item, a number of years ago. What the store clerk told me is that after you add in the shipping charge, for the catalog item, then the prices are the same.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: