Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 05:34 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Um.... what???? Do you have any idea how many problems our public transportation system has???
Manhattan has the best public transportation in the city - hard to believe anyone would disagree with that. It doesn't mean it's perfect, but that's why car ownership rates are lowest in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 05:51 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Manhattan has the best public transportation in the city - hard to believe anyone would disagree with that. It doesn't mean it's perfect, but that's why car ownership rates are lowest in Manhattan.
I understand why people are coming at your for saying "best"

A more accurate description would be to say that Manhattan is the most extensively covered borough with public transportation, to say best is subjective.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-27-2021, 06:07 PM

371 posts, read 625,009 times
OP, you just need to be prepared and you'll do fine. When it rains, you'll need an umbrella, rain coat, and some sort of rain shoe/boot. When it snows, most sidewalks in Manhattan are paved fairly quickly but a pair of snow boots is always helpful. Get a canvas shopping cart and it will help you tons. Going to the grocery store or running errands during bad weather is not a huge issue because most things are pretty close by. For instance, I can get to my subway stop, grocery store, bank, dry cleaners, and a few restaurants within a two minute walk. A 10 minute walk will lead me to even more places, hardware store, post office, etc. It's completely doable to live without a car. If you want to take the occasional weekend trip out of the city, you can always get a zipcar or a rental car. Also, the Hampton Jitney or the LIRR can take you to the LI beaches and the Metro North can take you to some quaint little towns upstate (like Cold Spring, NY) and Amtrak can get you to cities like Boston or Philadelphia or even Washington DC.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I understand why people are coming at your for saying "best"

A more accurate description would be to say that Manhattan is the most extensively covered borough with public transportation, to say best is subjective.
Would it be subjective for me to say that Manhattan has better public transit than Staten Island?

Old 09-27-2021, 07:06 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Would it be subjective for me to say that Manhattan has better public transit than Staten Island?

Depends on what aspect you're describing (delays, for example). One could say that SI has better public transit because the buses run more on time than buses in Manhattan. I don't have stats to back this up but it could certainly be proven, or disproven.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-27-2021, 11:07 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,412,090 times
Quote:
No, we don't drive in Manhattan because it would be too chaotic. Traffic is already crazy as it is. Can you imagine how much worse it would be if EVERYONE drove there?

Believe me, the subway system sucks. The subway is so old and dirty (not to mention infested with rats) and trains constantly have problems & delays. The service is just downright unreliable! And the construction on weekends is so ridiculous that service changes become very confusing. It's absolutely awful!

Old 09-28-2021, 12:19 AM

789 posts, read 486,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirculateRX View Post
I'm hoping to ask people who have 1 or 0 cars and bike/take public transit for pleasure, groceries, work, etc. What do you do during the bad bad winter days/weeks/months. My wife and I live in Phoenix Arizona but are thinking of moving somewhere walkable. She will most likely use the car while I will get work within a couple miles of home. We will sell our second vehicle and get an eBike as a second vehicle but I'm worried about the bad months. What's your experience?
Hahaaaaa. So you're moving from red hot Phoenix to ice cold frigid 3ft of snow NY? Well, most here will sugar coat it but expect pure horror and brutality. There's no nice way around it. Same as trying to explain to a NorthEasterner on how to cope with the mid August desert 115 degree Nevada or Arizona heat! Lol. Ya just gotta deal with the misery.

Imagine stepping out of your house/apt and getting blasted with 30 mph frigid 5 degree wind (sometimes can get well below 0), then stepping out and seeing 3 ft of snow. By 2 minutes you no longer can feel your face. Your hands and feet are next to go. But your walk to the grocery store, normally 5 minutes, is now 15 minutes of winter horror! If you make it to the store and don't slip and break your neck on black hidden ice, you then have to go into the store, take another 20 minutes to just get the feeling back in your hands so you can shop. Then, after getting warm, you have to repeat the nightmare again walking back to your home. Does this sound appealing to you, OP? No. I don't think so.

BUT I HAVE A CAR AND DON'T DEAL WITH THAT CRAP. GET A CAR!

Old 09-28-2021, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
No, we don't drive in Manhattan because it would be too chaotic. Traffic is already crazy as it is. Can you imagine how much worse it would be if EVERYONE drove there?

Believe me, the subway system sucks. The subway is so old and dirty (not to mention infested with rats) and trains constantly have problems & delays. The service is just downright unreliable! And the construction on weekends is so ridiculous that service changes become very confusing. It's absolutely awful!
Where do you live?

I get around without a car and appreciate not having to drive which doesn't mean I think the system is without problems, but for me, needing to have a car is worse.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:18 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,412,090 times
Quote:
Where do you live?

I get around without a car and appreciate not having to drive which doesn't mean I think the system is without problems, but for me, needing to have a car is worse.

I live in Queens and can easily take the subway to Manhattan. And everything is walking distance.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:29 AM

1,059 posts, read 548,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Hahaaaaa. So you're moving from red hot Phoenix to ice cold frigid 3ft of snow NY? Well, most here will sugar coat it but expect pure horror and brutality. There's no nice way around it. Same as trying to explain to a NorthEasterner on how to cope with the mid August desert 115 degree Nevada or Arizona heat! Lol. Ya just gotta deal with the misery.

Imagine stepping out of your house/apt and getting blasted with 30 mph frigid 5 degree wind (sometimes can get well below 0), then stepping out and seeing 3 ft of snow. By 2 minutes you no longer can feel your face. Your hands and feet are next to go. But your walk to the grocery store, normally 5 minutes, is now 15 minutes of winter horror! If you make it to the store and don't slip and break your neck on black hidden ice, you then have to go into the store, take another 20 minutes to just get the feeling back in your hands so you can shop. Then, after getting warm, you have to repeat the nightmare again walking back to your home. Does this sound appealing to you, OP? No. I don't think so.

BUT I HAVE A CAR AND DON'T DEAL WITH THAT CRAP. GET A CAR!
New York City averages 25 inches of snow per year. Here is a breakdown per month: https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...n-averages.php.

A typical snowfall is 2-3 inches. In Manhattan between building maintenance and the sidewalks being warm most times you would hardly even know it snowed. I wonder how this person gets his car out when it is allegedly surrounded by 3 feet of snow.

These are the temperature averages: https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...th-average.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City