Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 06:35 PM

153 posts, read 131,532 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

This is probably a dumb question but, here it goes anyways. I'm from Arizona and have no clue how the rest of the country lives, especially not what I'd consider nearly polar opposite of here (big city downtown manhattan).
When it comes to housing, I assume most people rent apartments if you're in Brooklyn or Manhattan. Correct? Does it EVER make sense to buy a condo? I've seen the crazy HOA fees on some of these places, 3k mortgage, and 3k HOA... However, do people just come to grips with the fact they'll rent forever? How do you retire if you just rent forever? Or, do most people move away after retirement age? how does this work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2021, 07:28 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,727,396 times
You put the money that you would be putting into the mortgage into the market and enjoy flexibility and liquidity. I'm not saying it's the only way to go, but it can work.

Old 10-07-2021, 07:52 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,258,719 times
With the current prices across NYC, buying doesn't make sense in a lot of circumstances. There are those who will argue until they're dead that it's always better to buy then rent but that is simply not true.

At the end of the day it's a numbers game. I bought my house in the late 90s. Back then it was clearly better to buy then rent. If I had to do it today, there's is no way I'd buy the same house. The numbers just fine make sense.

There's too much money bidding up the NYC market in addition to a terrible supply (getting worse by the year).

What a lot of people don't understand/take into account is that a lot of RE sales in NYC involve inheritance, gift money, or as an investment/bank account for those with plenty more. Under these circumstances, buying absolutely makes sense.

https://www.brickunderground.com/buy...condo-HDFC-nyc

https://www.brickunderground.com/buy...nts-family-nyc

https://www.brickunderground.com/blo...for_your_child

Last edited by Esacni; 10-07-2021 at 08:14 PM..

Old 10-07-2021, 08:59 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,749,994 times
I just sold my place uptown and am now renting in Brooklyn.

I say rent and put the down payment, closing costs, etc into the market. Unless you plan on staying put for ten plus years, and even then…

Old 10-07-2021, 09:03 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
How much can you afford each month, then budget what it cost to own vs rent.

Don't forget that owning is a long term process not like renting, if you lose your job or need a bigger place.

Owning a house is not suitable for majority of people regardless how cheap the interest rates.

Old 10-07-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I just sold my place uptown and am now renting in Brooklyn.

I say rent and put the down payment, closing costs, etc into the market. Unless you plan on staying put for ten plus years, and even then…
Most people don't even take closings costs into account. They're not terrible for coops but for houses/condos most will be giving up 1-2 years of rent just in closing costs.

Old 10-07-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
How much can you afford each month, then budget what it cost to own vs rent.

Don't forget that owning is a long term process not like renting, if you lose your job or need a bigger place.

Owning a house is not suitable for majority of people regardless how cheap the interest rates.
The entire game in NYC has been appreciating property prices. The game is cyclical though. If you bought at the beginning or middle or a cycle, you'll most likely be fine. If you bought somewhere in the latter half of the cycle, you most certainly will lose money.

Old 10-08-2021, 01:38 AM

572 posts, read 325,130 times
It varies from person to person, your requirements and preferences to buy or rent a property. Follow your interests and rent if you think it is the right choice for you.

Old 10-08-2021, 02:01 AM

786 posts, read 484,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirculateRX View Post
Hello all,

This is probably a dumb question but, here it goes anyways. I'm from Arizona and have no clue how the rest of the country lives, especially not what I'd consider nearly polar opposite of here (big city downtown manhattan).
When it comes to housing, I assume most people rent apartments if you're in Brooklyn or Manhattan. Correct? Does it EVER make sense to buy a condo? I've seen the crazy HOA fees on some of these places, 3k mortgage, and 3k HOA... However, do people just come to grips with the fact they'll rent forever? How do you retire if you just rent forever? Or, do most people move away after retirement age? how does this work?
Manhattan is its own world. Forget about buying there these days unless you're already a multi millionaire. My ex gf and I bought a 1 bedroom on the upper east side in 1996 for $150K (we were in our mid 20s with decent white collar jobs). It's now worth $2m, although we broke up years ago and sold it. Point being this scenario is almost impossible in Manhattan these days (2 young kids buying cheap apt). So forget about it!!!!!

The outer boroughs are a different story. You can get decent 1 bed coop in outer Queens, nice green areas, for $200K+. There are similar deals further East as you get into Nassau.

Since NYC area real estate is likely to keep appreciating, always good to buy if you can.

Retirement? In the past decades, you could live in NYC your entire life and get by. Not really anymore, in decent areas anyway. Nowadays most old timers (50+) have cashed out on their homes/apts and moved to places that are tax free like TX, FL and NV. I'm talking about cops, firemen, teachers, nurses, accountants...middle of the road salary folks. The immigrant/3rd world class of NYC (a very large population) will always have to rent and pretty much never retire. That's how it goes. But the days of being born/raised and retiring in NYC as a native in the middle class are pretty much gone. Again, this applies to decent areas of NYC. I guess you could live in the hood section 8 housing in Browsville all ya life and love it.

Old 10-08-2021, 05:56 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,836 times
We bought in the Upper West Side at the height of the pandemic. It was still far from cheap, but now a year later with prices recovered we could sell and make a nice buck. I do miss renting sometimes, because you have that flexibility of getting to choose and move where life takes you. If you own, you have to try to sell beforehand, or if the market is down, hold out until hopefully things get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City