Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 02:21 PM

16,180 posts, read 6,932,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireGolightly View Post
With all due respect, what holds you back from doing so?
Tax friendly states like Florida Delaware and Pennsylvania followed by
cheaper priced homes, and a mass of retirees my age led to my final decision.

Waiting since it is never wise to purchase in a Sellers market and the possibility a
Republican taking over NYC as Mayor will draw many former New Yorkers back to the city
freeing up more real estate in the states mentioned as well as fingers crossed, elimination
of Covid Mandates.
Gotta know when to hold or fold.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 10-16-2021 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 02:27 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,276,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Sellers market and the possibility a
Republican make take over as Mayor.
A sellers market should mean you should sell and get out. Prices in nyc are way up and you should be able to live on less of a housing budget in most places.
Odds are almost certain that there will not be a Republican mayor elected.
Your reasoning seems faulty.
Is there any other explanation on why you stay in a place you seem to hate?

Old 10-16-2021, 02:53 PM

26 posts, read 22,063 times
OK, I'll bite.

What I like:

The fact that strangers join my conversations without preamble.

Comprehensive public transit treated as a municipal service rather than a curiosity (notwithstanding its major drawbacks).

The "old neighborhood." No matter your culture, there is an "old neighborhood" for you here. And I like that if you take the bus or train 5 minutes, you can get to an entirely different "old neighborhood."

What I miss:

When the city felt less like other cities in the U.S. and more like its own country.

Less glass-front construction.

Sedutto ice cream.

Mega 97.9 in the pre-reggaetón era.

All the bookstores my parents took me to when I was little.

In the pre-Metrocard days, when subway stations weren't filled with incessant beeping from the turnstiles.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:09 PM

9 posts, read 3,730 times
Quote:
Tax friendly states like Florida Delaware and Pennsylvania followed by
cheaper priced homes, and a mass of retirees my age led to my final decision.

Waiting since it is never wise to purchase in a Sellers market and the possibility a
Republican taking over NYC as Mayor will draw many former New Yorkers back to the city
freeing up more real estate in the states mentioned as well as fingers crossed, elimination
of Covid Mandates.
Gotta know when to hold or fold.
I would have to agree with the part about holding off on buying right now. Maybe sell but then just rent. I would tend to agree that NYC prices could go up, up, up again post pandemic and then all back to business as usual.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:21 PM

What I liked today in nyc?
Great few hours at the cloisters made me feel like I could have been in dordogne France. Place filled with college students, families, couples on dates, everyone masks and no one acting like it was a huge inconvenience. Lovely lunch with wine overlooking the gardens.
Leaves changing across the Hudson River on the palisades was spectacular.
Walk through fort tyron park which was beautiful and peaceful. Haven’t been to Washington heights in a long while and can’t believe how much nicer.
Am so happy that I can so this for a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon for a cheap, easy and relaxing activity.
And I could have done another 25 things that would have given me just as much pleasure. All different, all unique, all great options.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:34 PM

Sentimental highly personal musings of why I love NYC and how it's a dichotomy:

New York is a wild mix of everything. My immediate family left in the late seventies but their predecessors got off the boat there prior to the turn of the century before this one. My dad has the New York hustle even in his seventies even though he left in the late 1970s and he left because of his spotting of lower COL opportunities, lower hanging fruit, if you will. Dad set out for down South. I watch this 74 year old man running at the local greenway and that is his NY hustle keeping him going, going and not stopping at his age. I will tell you that the NY hustle has gotten him far in life and he out hustled those around him in other places where there was no real hustle like the NY one. This boy from Long Island (his parents moved out there) hustled out of his studio apartment above a gas station in Smithtown right out of Vietnam and now has two boys who graduated from Ivy Leagues, my brothers. Dad had nothing, no connections, no family money and scoured his couch cushions to find change to take the train into the city for his cash register sales job. From that, he created something and his boys went far too watching how dad did it.

Our matriarch from Brooklyn died in 2012 and she was a very glamorous bejeweled (costume jewels) lady on any given day. Always wore pumps with a matching clutch, red lipstick, and hair 100% exactly like Marilyn Monroe. Grandma also had the hustle in her own glamorous 50s movie star wannabe way. She just absorbed it from growing up there and her hustle was being glamorous at all times, every day despite not having that much money or status to match her glamour.

So that is how I am connected to NYC. Grandma inherited an apartment from a brother that is still in the family on the UWS which her heirs collectively rent out or use for family trips, get togethers. When it is available, we can stay there. Grandma's apartment is staying in the family and will go to her grandchildren and we all plan to pass it onto the great grands. We all want it to stay in the family forever and ever and ever.

On my last visit, my daughter and I stopped in for lunch at the Plaza Hotel and we sat next to older gals who ordered a bottle of $150 champagne with their soup and salad. You could just tell with their vibe and haughty grand mannerisms. Old money, huge money. Lifelong privilege knowing no other reality in their DNA and entitled. We later got on the subway and I was on high alert as an obviously mentally ill young woman (God help her) was staring down my daughter. We exited and the woman pitifully reached into the trash and scooped food out of a paper bowl dribbling it down her mouth. Looked like a Chipotle bowl. No one noticed or cared. I gag to this day thinking of it and it is forever etched in my mind as one of the most heartbreaking sights. That poor young woman and her difficult life. I cannot even imagine.

Next day, it was onto a Broadway play and we sat next to a class of prep school kids. Well spoken, well fed, well mannered, worldly and I thought about the uniqueness of their incredibly privileged lives growing up in Manhattan. Later in the trip, we sat in a coffee shop on the UES and three ladies talked about their frequent travels to Israel, Europe, and all the highly accomplished feats of their grown children. The tone was casual and slightly ho-hum matter of fact like isn't this everyone's life.

The Subway again. We were kind of nervous. It was at night. There were people hollering out, sleeping off to the side, numb deadened eyes did not meet mine and I felt distinct fear and oppression in the air. Two malnourished and sickly looking teens walked too closely behind us. Honestly, they looked like Zombie teens whose souls checked out long ago. It felt hostile and frightening and chills went up my spine. I was afraid and grabbed my daughter for a quick stop to pretend we needed to look something up on phone. They passed and I had a terrible thought of being stabbed from behind. On the train, our route was rerouted and the message said something about Queens. I didn't know if we were on the wrong route and felt panic and fear of the unknown. Would it be okay to end up at this place at night? I was on high adrenaline and finally relieved to reemerge up onto the street near our hotel.

Later onto dinner at Carmine's UWS. Large families together laughing, eating, drinking. A very warm family vibe but then back onto the street to walk to the hotel. Daughter and I huddled together in the cold night aware of strangers around us and on guard. You could just feel that guarded vibe to be alert and keep moving along briskly so we did it too.

So there it is. All of it in all of its disparate hell and glory. Glory meaning the best of the best of everything. The best art, the best minds, the best careers, the best talent, the best homes, the best food, the best upbringings, the best magic and excitement of possibilities. And then hellishness. Hunger, poverty, ignored, suffering, sickly, mentally ill, cold, fear, oppressed, savage. People born into and stuck in circumstances often to no fault of their own. I have compassion for those caught in cycles of poverty and desperation there. My feeling is there but by the grace of God go I. Would I be any different if molded and shaped by the same influences, circumstances? Probably not. Yes, people need to be held responsible but it's important to balance this out with compassion and understanding of why they are the way they are.

It's all there balled up into one intoxicating, magical yet also repulsive, tragic, and frightening place. I still do love it there for the magical things despite all of that dichotomy. I deeply appreciate my dad for giving me a good life and this was due in part to his NY hustle in truly the concrete jungle. Everything good in my life was built upon the good things dad created and provided with his grit, strength, and determination. This is a harsh world so that is a big deal to have a dad and/or mom like this who makes it all nicer. I am always fascinated by all of these things, people, places that shaped him and so I will always be drawn back to NYC.

Last edited by ClaireGolightly; 10-16-2021 at 04:46 PM..

Old 10-16-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
A sellers market should mean you should sell and get out. Prices in nyc are way up and you should be able to live on less of a housing budget in most places.
Odds are almost certain that there will not be a Republican mayor elected.
Your reasoning seems faulty.
Is there any other explanation on why you stay in a place you seem to hate?
Hate is a strong word.
Born,raised,retired New Yorker.
Paid my dues.

Other States offer better incentives for retirees
than New York City.
As I mentioned...........Florida ,Delaware and Pennsylvania.
Prove me wrong.

All the above mentioned States have pockets of crime
worse than New York City but I'm not about to live in
Miami, Wilmington or Philadelphia as I have done my homework.
There are other nearby areas in those states that have minimal crime
and package that with retirement friendly incentives what is there not
to like.

Then again,
One can live in New York City but not have to live in Brownsville,
Ocean Hill or High bridge when there is Malba ,City Island and
Fresh Meadows.
Fact remains..can't stretch the retiree dollar as well
in New York City than Florida ,Delaware or Pennsylvania.

I live in an area in New York City that has history of an exceptional market.
Purchasing in another area outside N.Y.C. that has suddenly become hot by
exiting New Yorkers starting back two years ago is not recommended. Waiting
for the market to stabilize is my best recourse. I'm in no rush.
Just can't wait to hang my hat elsewhere.

Hope this answers your question.....

Old 10-16-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Hate is a strong word.
Paid my dues.

than New York City.
Prove me wrong.

to like.

Then again,
Fresh Meadows.

Yes you did. Thank you.
I can’t and won’t prove you wrong.
I am glad you don’t hate living here. That was my impression but I’m glad you cleared that up.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Hate is a strong word.
Paid my dues.

than New York City.
Prove me wrong.

to like.

Then again,
Fresh Meadows.

So where are you leaning towards when you decide to make the move? PA, FL, or DE? If you don't mind me asking, where are you generally currently living in NY and how long have you lived there? If lived there for very long, I wonder if it will be a bit of a culture shock to relocate in retirement to a new place. New emphasizing NOT NYC which is like a PLANET, UNIVERSE unto itself! Honestly, I do think all of my relatives who have left LI or NYC did end up happier, better QOL and with no regrets of their decisions to leave.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireGolightly View Post
So where are you leaning towards when you decide to make the move? PA, FL, or DE? If you don't mind me asking, where are you generally currently living in NY and how long have you lived there? If lived there for very long, I wonder if it will be a bit of a culture shock to relocate in retirement to a new place. New emphasizing NOT NYC which is like a PLANET, UNIVERSE unto itself!
It is not common practice to disclose where you live but
Where I am looking to move?

I can only suggest any neighborhoods in any of the three
states mentioned that is welcoming to New York Transplants

Here is something that might help

Niche.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City