Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 04:26 AM

3,351 posts, read 1,240,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorJustinian View Post
Sorry, but the leechers are the active heavy use car users that have made NYC look Sub-Saharan African rather than Western European or East Asian which is what we want. They are addicted to their cars and should be forced out of the NYC metro area. They belong in Iowa which is geared for cars. The government should quite frankly round them up and force them to live in rural America since the do not support trains.
The government doesn't support trains either or care about you or me
Give them more money to waste/steal and they will

If I had ANY confidence in them to actually not be corrupt and actually build things to help us efficiently I'd actually agree with you for the most part but I don't

When I pay tolls and gas taxes that more than cover the costs of the awful roads and people take the train every day to work when their fare doesn't cover the cost of those trains I'm not the one being a leech sorry

This woukdnt even really effect me as I don't drive through Manhattan except maybe once a month on off hours and most of those rides I'm only using the FDR so I wouldn't pay this tax anyway

Public transport for the outer boroughs is absolutely hot garbage and there are plenty of reasons to have a car outside of Manhattan

I've been to Europe and I've been to other civilized cities in the US and the trains do go right into airports as they should here

This should have been done decades ago in NYC and they've had plenty of money to do it
Despite that they haven't done it but I'm supposed to support them taking more.kimey from the middle class to do so when even if they did it they would take 30 years and waste 95 percent of the money Not a chance.

Look at how much time and money was wasted to build an uneeded second avenue subway line so people didn't have to walk quite as far from Lexington while the outer boroughs get garbage service

The amount of money wasted on "studies" for building this line alone is a disgrace

Old 10-17-2021, 05:21 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
No idea, but when are the mods going to address the problem?
I sort of apologize. I'm in Florida for a gaming convention, only checking briefly. Tomorrow when I'm back I'll deal with it.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-17-2021, 06:40 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,263,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorJustinian View Post
The problem is the MTA for years has been governed by people that don't give a damn about the system and are basically car oriented.

I said it before, the MTA or Port Authority officials that don't spend on rail or making things like Japan and Europe do deserve to be brutally punished. The same applies to Cuomo. The goal is to make NYC more European or Japanese, but to do so requires a starting point or effort.

There have been some good people that wanted to do the right thing in the MTA but the NIMBY subhumans like Mr. Retired are the prime example that stand in the way. He has no business being in NYC metro area and would be better off in Iowa.

The fact is cars don't work in big cities. It has been proven to be failure. I am not calling for a ban of cars as I stated before that there are exceptions, but would much rather see their use reduced significantly. I said it before, I am glad the AirTrain to LGA is canceled because its route was r-tarded and Cuomo should have been sat in a chair along with the Port Authority chairman and tortured for even proposing it.

The ONLY time cars are cool is if you are off-roading out in the desert or rugged terrain especially near the Rockies. That is the only time a car is enjoyable and really awesome when you are firing through sand dunes or going along the ridges. When I was in rural Idaho, Utah, or Arizona, the cars worked effectively there.

It is a proven FACT that cities that are walkable and transit oriented especially subway trains are healthier.
Your argument that the MTA is "run by car people" is illogical because the money is there. It's not like the MTA isn't well funded.

It is well funded it's just that the MTA is organizationally corrupt with an extremely low productivity workforce.

Let's take JR Railways in Japan as an example. They employ around 73,000 people. The MTA employs 74,000. JR Railways spends approximately 4 billion USD on wages. The MTA spends 6 billion USD. Why does the MTA spend 50% more on wages for a lower productivity workforce? This doesn't take into account pension and fringe benefits which I'm sure the MTA spends AT LEAST double (if not triple) on.

JR Railways spent around $5bn in CAPEX in 2019. The MTA plans to spend $5 billion per year from 2020-2024. Look what JR Railways does for $5bn (over a much larger system) and look what we get for $5bn with the MTA.

JR Railways operates around 13,000 miles of track across Japan. The MTA operates approximately 1,600 miles of track.

The sad thing is that people like you simply don't understand the extent of rot in the MTA. You HAVE to look at their financial statements and comp them to similar size agencies and world class cities.

When you look at the numbers, nothing makes sense about the MTA except that it's a huge money pit. The politicians, MTA, nor most mass transit "advocates" ever talk about the numbers and it's evident why.

Last edited by Esacni; 10-17-2021 at 06:55 AM..

Old 10-17-2021, 08:06 AM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
So let's cut to the chase: which banned member do we think this is?

(I know who)

Ecasni was previously Bklynball, but what's the mechanism for checking and preventing another account? He had one account in case another one goes down and probably has another one right now.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-17-2021 at 08:57 AM..

Old 10-17-2021, 08:08 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,232,697 times
Our whole system is broken and I am not just talking about the transit system. From culture to social to political to demographics. It is all broken. The failing subway system is just a symptom.

The Japan example is a fine example but you have plenty of others around the world. Europe, Asia have plenty of examples of where they do things right. Everything here costs more and takes longer to build and the product is usually still far inferior.

Old 10-17-2021, 10:28 AM

1,428 posts, read 728,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Ecasni was previously Bklynball, but what's the mechanism for checking and preventing another account? He had one account in case another one goes down and probably has another one right now.
People will go through the effort to change their IP address and make a new email over and over again every time they get banned. Its pathetic. I know I sound like a hypocrite saying that, but I was never banned.

Old 10-17-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Our whole system is broken and I am not just talking about the transit system. From culture to social to political to demographics. It is all broken. The failing subway system is just a symptom.

The Japan example is a fine example but you have plenty of others around the world. Europe, Asia have plenty of examples of where they do things right. Everything here costs more and takes longer to build and the product is usually still far inferior.
While I agree I think it's important to talk about the numbers. The "other side" never wants to talk about numbers because their argument falls apart. It's imperative to bring forth concrete examples and comparisons.

Old 10-17-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
The government doesn't support trains either or care about you or me
Give them more money to waste/steal and they will

If I had ANY confidence in them to actually not be corrupt and actually build things to help us efficiently I'd actually agree with you for the most part but I don't

When I pay tolls and gas taxes that more than cover the costs of the awful roads and people take the train every day to work when their fare doesn't cover the cost of those trains I'm not the one being a leech sorry

This woukdnt even really effect me as I don't drive through Manhattan except maybe once a month on off hours and most of those rides I'm only using the FDR so I wouldn't pay this tax anyway

Public transport for the outer boroughs is absolutely hot garbage and there are plenty of reasons to have a car outside of Manhattan

I've been to Europe and I've been to other civilized cities in the US and the trains do go right into airports as they should here

This should have been done decades ago in NYC and they've had plenty of money to do it
Despite that they haven't done it but I'm supposed to support them taking more.kimey from the middle class to do so when even if they did it they would take 30 years and waste 95 percent of the money Not a chance.

Look at how much time and money was wasted to build an uneeded second avenue subway line so people didn't have to walk quite as far from Lexington while the outer boroughs get garbage service

The amount of money wasted on "studies" for building this line alone is a disgrace

We don't get the necessary return on public infrastructure investment in NYC. so much of the funding gets stolen (the politicians use it as a payoff to either buy voters or pay off campaign supporters) or paid out to extremely low productivity labor.

Old 10-17-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
The MTA is a joke
That same 4 train to Mosholu parkway stops at Yankee Stadium
But what often doesn't stop at Yankee Stadium is the D train which skips Yankee Stadium seemingly randomly when there are Yankees games

So people then have to get off the D train at 145th to wait for an often late packed B train to go 2 stops if you can even get in the train bc the MTA is run by total imbeciles

Of course there are times that very same D train will stop every few blocks for no reason . But stopping at Yankee Stadium and the last major transfer point in the Bronx? Nope why would that be an express stop
I'm somewhat familiar with that as well. Once you realize what the MTA has become it's evident that things are done in a very chaotic manner and there's no short or long term strategy to anything they do.

Old 10-17-2021, 03:19 PM

38 posts, read 16,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Your argument that the MTA is "run by car people" is illogical because the money is there. It's not like the MTA isn't well funded.

It is well funded it's just that the MTA is organizationally corrupt with an extremely low productivity workforce.

Let's take JR Railways in Japan as an example. They employ around 73,000 people. The MTA employs 74,000. JR Railways spends approximately 4 billion USD on wages. The MTA spends 6 billion USD. Why does the MTA spend 50% more on wages for a lower productivity workforce? This doesn't take into account pension and fringe benefits which I'm sure the MTA spends AT LEAST double (if not triple) on.

JR Railways spent around $5bn in CAPEX in 2019. The MTA plans to spend $5 billion per year from 2020-2024. Look what JR Railways does for $5bn (over a much larger system) and look what we get for $5bn with the MTA.

JR Railways operates around 13,000 miles of track across Japan. The MTA operates approximately 1,600 miles of track.

The sad thing is that people like you simply don't understand the extent of rot in the MTA. You HAVE to look at their financial statements and comp them to similar size agencies and world class cities.

When you look at the numbers, nothing makes sense about the MTA except that it's a huge money pit. The politicians, MTA, nor most mass transit "advocates" ever talk about the numbers and it's evident why.

In Japan they have something called honor, which frankly, the USA doesn't have. So they are more accountable of the actions. We spend more money on crack heads and MeToo than our public infrastructure. So of course the money is not going to be managed well. In Japan, they have their priorities handled well, but at the same time they are not car obsessed. Every Japanese person I know has no desire to have our public transportation system. Even though Japan makes the best cars in the world, they don't bother with them.

The MTA and Port Authority is of course is managed by car people since you get Cuomo types that pick cheap options like the botched AirTrain. I said it before, there SHOULD be accountability on what the MTA and Port Authority does, if it means another independent agency or even torturing officials that fail to make rail like the Japan does.

You also are not understanding that even before the MTA was formed, Robert Moses promoted cars and directed funding AWAY from trains. You are failing to understand the period of 1960s to 1970s really hurt NYC. It's no coincidence that as more cars and roadways were built, crime went up and NYC has been looking more like Kinshasa rather than Vienna.

With the said, EVEN IF there is accountability, you still get people like Mr Retired that will STILL regardless of everything wants to remove the all subway and passenger rail. The guy belongs in Iowa along with the rest of these fake New Yorkers.

Last edited by EmperorJustinian; 10-17-2021 at 03:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City