Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 07:51 AM

38 posts, read 16,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
You are correct .
Manhattan is no longer capable of
handling rush hour traffic.

You are incorrect.
Depending of the hour and the day
driving into New York City makes for
a quick and pleasant ride far better than
any transit system has to offer.

Driving into Manhattan on some random off-peak time period isn't enough justification not to have congestion pricing. But even during those time periods your "pleasant ride" has traffic issues and quite frankly streets without cars look better than streets with cars. Walkable cities with outdoor dining look more sophisticated than the ghetto that the car creates. Cars all parked look more third world like something out of Zimbabwe which i am sure you would love to live in.

And driving into Friday or Saturday nights or during sports events isn't good either. Too many idiot drunk drivers end up causing accidents.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:18 PM

16,165 posts, read 6,909,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorJustinian View Post
I already explained the failure and it stems from Robert Moses and his attempts to make NYC car-centric to appeal to the trash of the city like you that don't belong here and would better be served moving to middle America.

Crime didn't return as a subway issue until the George Floyd and defund the police happened.

It also didn't help that NY for the last decade was run by a car-oriented governor. You seem to like him cause he made sure to hamper any effort at rail expansion.

The MTA is corrupt but so is the Port Authority, Department of Education, Sanitation, and the list can go go on. You seem to be fine with these agencies.

In Tokyo, one cannot buy a car unless they prove that they have a spot to park their car. So they are very restrictive with cars. So is London and Stockholm that have congestion pricing with money that gets spent on mass transit.

As for filling holes, well men already filled your mother for a cheap rate. You keep calling to eliminate the subway that is what you get.

You hate the subway and trains so much, even though your kind is better served elsewhere.

The MTA was thrown a multibillion dollar life vest.
Ridership is still less than 50% pre covid.

I rode the subways all my life (40 yrs ) alongside fine people that respected these
wonderful pieces of machinery and the skills of employees that maintained them.

I can not say the same today. People are disrespectful and vandalism is rampant.
Graffiti, Drug use,homelessness, public urination,defecation, ongoing criminal activities
and a poor discipline for work that can never measure up to the motor men of yesteryear.

I used to love taking the subway to work but now I would love to take a shovel and fill the hole with sand.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorJustinian View Post
Driving into Manhattan on some random off-peak time period isn't enough justification not to have congestion pricing. But even during those time periods your "pleasant ride" has traffic issues and quite frankly streets without cars look better than streets with cars. Walkable cities with outdoor dining look more sophisticated than the ghetto that the car creates. Cars all parked look more third world like something out of Zimbabwe which i am sure you would love to live in.

And driving into Friday or Saturday nights or during sports events isn't good either. Too many idiot drunk drivers end up causing accidents.

My pleasant rides are called pleasant for one reason. There were no issues.
There is a time a place an a method used for entering New York City at the
appropriate date and time of day. Been around long enough to figure it out.

Automobiles are beautiful pieces of machinery if taken care of properly.
I don't grasp why you think I would love to live in Zimbabwe.
Why would any person want to live in a country where the 3/4 of the population
lives on less than $5 dollars a day, hunger is rampant and roads are filled with dirt.
Speaking of dirt.............I say ....fill the hole with sand.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:38 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,270,758 times
Quote:
My pleasant rides are called pleasant for one reason. There were no issues.
There is a time a place an a method used for entering New York City at the
appropriate date and time of day. Been around long enough to figure it out.

Automobiles are beautiful pieces of machinery if taken care of properly.
I don't grasp why you think I would love to live in Zimbabwe.
Why would any person want to live in a country where the 3/4 of the population
lives on less than $5 dollars a day, hunger is rampant and roads are filled with dirt.
Speaking of dirt.............I say ....fill the hole with sand.
My wife and I like to go to Central Park on Sunday mornings. It takes us about 30 min from deep in Brooklyn with great views of the bay from the belt and then amazing views on the BK bridge. It's actually a ridiculously nice ride.

Via the subway it would take us at LEAST 90 minutes.

If I listened to this clown, I'd wait until I'm dead before the MTA gets fixed. Even with horrendous traffic , the subway isn't any faster than a car for long trips most of the time.

The only people who think the MTA is so great are clueless transplants whose entire world revolves around a few miles (2-3 subway stops) of where they live.

Old 10-16-2021, 04:12 PM

1,038 posts, read 677,866 times
Quote:
The MTA was thrown a multibillion dollar life vest.
Ridership is still less than 50% pre covid.

I rode the subways all my life (40 yrs ) alongside fine people that respected these
wonderful pieces of machinery and the skills of employees that maintained them.

I can not say the same today. People are disrespectful and vandalism is rampant.
Graffiti, Drug use,homelessness, public urination,defecation, ongoing criminal activities
and a poor discipline for work that can never measure up to the motor men of yesteryear.

I used to love taking the subway to work but now I would love to take a shovel and fill the hole with sand.

This is completely untrue. What you've described is state of subways in the 70s/80s/early 90s - anyone with internet connection can check out train cars covered with graffiti - out and inside, the general sense of danger lurking around the corner. Also it was during those decades when the capital improvements were forever put off, so not sure what 'motormen of yesteryear' you are referring to.

Subways today are far cleaner especially post COVID19. When was the last time you swiped a metrocard?

Old 10-16-2021, 04:26 PM

1,038 posts, read 677,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
My wife and I like to go to Central Park on Sunday mornings. It takes us about 30 min from deep in Brooklyn with great views of the bay from the belt and then amazing views on the BK bridge. It's actually a ridiculously nice ride.

If I listened to this clown, I'd wait until I'm dead before the MTA gets fixed. Even with horrendous traffic , the subway isn't any faster than a car for long trips most of the time.

The only people who think the MTA is so great are clueless transplants whose entire world revolves around a few miles (2-3 subway stops) of where they live.

At what time do you travel? I just googled directions from Brighton Beach to West 57th and 7th ave (Q stop) by car and by train. Both are roughly the same time - under an hour. Then there's parking obviously if you drive, which cancels out a walk to the train.

Old 10-16-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post

Well done.............I'm glad you and yours enjoy the rides into the city as well as my family.
It's all about timing...

Old 10-16-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
At what time do you travel? I just googled directions from Brighton Beach to West 57th and 7th ave (Q stop) by car and by train. Both are roughly the same time - under an hour. Then there's parking obviously if you drive, which cancels out a walk to the train.
I'm not that deep in BK but If you believe the Google train times then lol. Those are best case scenarios. When was the last time you took a train that didn't have delays?

I commuted for years on a 2 seat 1:15- 2 hour ride (all on the NYCTA subway) depending on delays. Most of the time it was closer to the 2 hour mark. I'd say that the percentage of time when it was perfect with no delays was MAYBE 20% of the time and that's a big maybe.

I've ridden the NYCTA subway system extensively over the years. I've used every line. It's a horrendous subway system for a world class city like NYC. It is so utterly bad but most transplant don't realize it because they come from places that don't have any mass transit and they keep their commutes under 30 minutes.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:02 PM

People like OP don't realize how much time and health the MTA has stolen from millions of NYCers. They're not just financial thieves. Stealing someone's tim and health is far worse than stealing someone's money.

It's disgusting what the MTA is able to get away with with the help of most of NYCs politicians who get driven around in cars paid for by taxpayers.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
This is completely untrue. What you've described is state of subways in the 70s/80s/early 90s - anyone with internet connection can check out train cars covered with graffiti - out and inside, the general sense of danger lurking around the corner. Also it was during those decades when the capital improvements were forever put off, so not sure what 'motormen of yesteryear' you are referring to.

Subways today are far cleaner especially post COVID19. When was the last time you swiped a metrocard?

Untrue? Sorry Pal...........
I suggest you do your homework. My Life experience speaks volumes.
I have been around for quite some time .The 60's were wonderful years.
Graffiti was minimal to a few simple tags or flair ups on the New York City Transit Authority.
The train covered filth you mention and many others refer to as art encompassing the entire cars
were mid 80's. Interior filth mid 70's. When the city launched the clean car program...... the 90's started to look like
the 60's once more and Republican Mayor Rudolph Giuliani helped squelch crime across the
city it numbers never seen before..returning New York City to the reminiscent times of the 1960's.
You have to have been around the subway system long enough to compare decades and trust me I have.
Best wishes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City