Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 11:20 PM

32,117 posts, read 27,363,904 times

Advertisements

Sam the Eagle and his some kind of DOE have struck again!

https://nypost.com/2021/11/13/nyc-de...school-option/

This eejit is going to run out the clock in doing everything he can to destroy NYC, all in aid of catering to his peeps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 04:38 AM

12,793 posts, read 8,400,610 times
Disgusting... Kids that live in the neighborhood should get priority. That's how it was when I went to high school, otherwise I likely would've been in private school. As it stands, lots of kids that don't live in the neighborhood are getting into the better schools based on people using relatives' addresses, so I'm not sure how this will be a better process.

Old 11-14-2021, 06:27 AM

276 posts, read 233,036 times
part of the lefts quest to destroy neighborhoods, goes hand in hand with their fascination with outlawing single family zoning. just make sure you keep paying those high taxes- even though your kids can't use the schools.

coming to a county near you. im sure leticia james is a proponent....

Old 11-14-2021, 07:55 AM

2,576 posts, read 2,918,473 times
Looks like Tottenville and Fort Hamilton are going to get a lot better in basketball.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:03 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,701,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Looks like Tottenville and Fort Hamilton are going to get a lot better in basketball.
Uh, they were better in ball, back in the day, with a dude at Totenville, in the 80s, named Abdul Shamsid-Deen (he played later played for a Final Four squad at Providence); and in the 70s, Fort Hamilton had future Hall of Famer Bernard King.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:13 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,701,640 times
To be honest, this has been a segregation tool, even if unintended! While there are kids who benefit from "Good neighborhood schools," there is a segment of kids whose zone school is not a good option, and don't, for whatever reason, don't have other options.

Another phenomena I saw, a student, were certain schools, back in the day, that didn't have sports programs! That was always fishy, to me.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:19 AM

32,117 posts, read 27,363,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Don't know about how much better Tottenville HS will get in ball if more blacks attend, but they have been out there for some time now. One in particular did rather well for himself.

https://www.silive.com/highschoolspo...13-photos.html

https://www.silive.com/sports/2021/0...in-europe.html

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...fk4-story.html

Truth to tell unless they live out there, close enough, or near enough to perhaps public transportation to get out to Tottenville and New Dorp, many minority kids stick to schools where they live (largely on North Shore), or go to Susan Wagner. The latter takes in huge classes made up of kids from north and south shores with a bit of Mid-Island as well.

Old 11-14-2021, 09:23 AM

2,327 posts, read 1,179,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Don't know about how much better Tottenville HS will get in ball if more blacks attend, but they have been out there for some time now. One in particular did rather well for himself.

https://www.silive.com/highschoolspo...13-photos.html

https://www.silive.com/sports/2021/0...in-europe.html

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...fk4-story.html

Truth to tell unless they live out there, close enough, or near enough to perhaps public transportation to get out to Tottenville and New Dorp, many minority kids stick to schools where they live (largely on North Shore), or go to Susan Wagner. The latter takes in huge classes made up of kids from north and south shores with a bit of Mid-Island as well.

New Dorp HS is near the SI Railway, also served directly by the S76 and S78 buses. The MTA has for years run a 3pm S74 'school special' from NDHS. Tottenville HS is between the Huguenot and Princes Bay SIR stations and is served by the S78 and S59 buses. Some southbound AM S78 runs terminate at Tottenville HS.

Old 11-14-2021, 10:19 AM

30,766 posts, read 18,481,819 times
Eh, I don't have a big problem with doing away with zoned schools at the high school level. Priority in terms of zoning has not done much to prevent others from outside of the zone from attending to begin with based on how people rank high schools as a part of the application admissions process. This is much to do about nothing as far as I'm concerned. When I applied for high schools, I think I ranked 12 of them and ended up attending a school FAR outside of my neighborhood (I took me roughly 45 minutes to 1 hour to get to school in southern Brooklyn, even though we lived in Prospect Heights. From where I stand, while nice, being from a neighborhood shouldn't mean that you have preference to attend a school, especially when we start talking about the high school level when teens are more freely able to travel greater distances on their own to get to and from school.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:26 AM

1,485 posts, read 761,965 times
NYC schools were bad when I attended them
I can't imagine how bad they are now.

If this only effects High Schools it won't make much of a difference. The Zoning system they use to use was god awful. I was zoned for a Brooklyn school ( a really bad one at that ) even though I lived in Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: