Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 07:01 AM

106,637 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

meh , just another day in the life of a city data forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 07:13 AM

686 posts, read 300,394 times
@mathjack
while some may be true the fact they blew reasonable credibility makes it a post not worth discussing since the goal posts keep moving.

Yes, I am new here, one lives and learns.

Old 11-22-2021, 07:20 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,951,921 times
I give you tons of credit for admitting you were wrong. Very, very few people do that nowadays.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-22-2021, 08:21 AM

3,134 posts, read 2,728,507 times
”lol, yes, mea culpa, I always give the benefit of the doubt.”

My basic position is this: when the cost/risk to help is low, I'd rather give good-faith advice to a scammer than to deny help to someone unjustly. In my actual job, I spend a lot of time trying to poke holes in people's stories, so for the most part I prefer not to live my personal life that way.

Old 11-22-2021, 11:02 AM

686 posts, read 300,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I give you tons of credit for admitting you were wrong. Very, very few people do that nowadays.
Thank you, I feel embarassed having let me fooled by such a scammer, I have to toughen up...:-)

Old 11-22-2021, 12:58 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,125,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
”lol, yes, mea culpa, I always give the benefit of the doubt.”

My basic position is this: when the cost/risk to help is low, I'd rather give good-faith advice to a scammer than to deny help to someone unjustly. In my actual job, I spend a lot of time trying to poke holes in people's stories, so for the most part I prefer not to live my personal life that way.
Don’t worry, the guy probably has a blow-up mom.

Old 11-22-2021, 01:01 PM

106,637 posts, read 108,790,719 times
judge judy used to say it best ..

if you tell the truth you dont need a good memory.

once the storyline loses its natural flow it likely isnt true ….the initial statement is the most critical … it is where the most important stuff is presented ….

after that the untrue stuff that was missed gets fabricated to fit in and it usually wont fit in well if not true

Old 11-22-2021, 01:19 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
its easy today …cell phone pings confirm location easily as well as where you tend to bank , churches you may be members of , temples ,etc
He's obviously commiting fraud but if you actually think that some housing judge is gonna go this far in the most tenant friendly city in the country you're mistaken
It's on the landlord to prove he doesn't live there and the landlord isn't gaining access to cell phone records
People barely even use physical banks anymore ,he doesn't have to go to a church locally if at all etc
None of these things would prove he doesn't live there
Just taking my own bank statements in the last 2 years I've physically used a bak 12 times
9 of them were nowhere near my home and 7 of them were in a different state
It proves nothing

Bottom line is of he's determined to commit fraud and act like he was living there it's very hard for the landlord to prove he wasn't

Old 11-22-2021, 01:23 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the whole story makes no sense ..

if he was living there he could just give his mother the con ed money .not take a billing that his mother has had since the 1970s and put his name on it .

in fact he could just give her the same dollars to put , with the rent .

living there he already has succession rights .

if anyone wants to believe this malarkey go ahead but i am a big believer in if it doesn’t make sense it likely isnt true

this is the typical path things take when there is collusion to hold on to a rent controlled apartment when someone who doesnt live there tries to make it appear they do
It doesn't matter
Him switching the con Ed bill to his name isn't proof he doesn't live there

Let's say he lived there legitimately
They have every right to have the bill in whoever's name they want
Let's say he did really move in a few years ago when the bull was switched to his name
He could just as easily say he wanted to pay the bill so he wanted it in his name
A judge isn't going to see the bill was switched to his name and use that as proof he doesn't live there
It doesn't make any sense at all

Old 11-22-2021, 01:26 PM

5,666 posts, read 2,607,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Bottom line is of he's determined to commit fraud and act like he was living there it's very hard for the landlord to prove he wasn't
No it actually isn't. One camera in the front entrance can show him coming and going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City