Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 12:23 PM

5,710 posts, read 2,627,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rent.in.ny View Post
The replies by "opinionated, narrow minded grumps" are LLs' replies!!!!!!!
No they aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 12:24 PM

5,710 posts, read 2,627,371 times
Op started a similar thread a few years ago. Looks like hes been trying to lock this in for a while. So I'd guess he doesn't actually live there

Old 11-19-2021, 12:30 PM

106,817 posts, read 109,039,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rent.in.ny View Post
The replies by "opinionated, narrow minded grumps" are LLs' replies!!!!!!!
nonsense.

so you are supporting fraud ?

Old 11-19-2021, 01:46 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,506,290 times
If the tenant is still alive, he can now move in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
guaranteed the op does not live there and just made fraudulent documents so it looks like he does …of course now he wont admit to it since it is fraud

Old 11-19-2021, 02:17 PM

106,817 posts, read 109,039,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If the tenant is still alive, he can now move in.
but he has to be there two years to have succession rights .

but again , this is likely just out right fraud

Old 11-19-2021, 02:54 PM

2,332 posts, read 1,036,082 times
Op wants to reap the benefits from his mom but without actually being her caretaker by moving in. Sounds about right for the typical entitled NYer.

Old 11-19-2021, 03:51 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,303,268 times
So you mean to tell me you and your family have had cheap rent since Jesus was a baby and in stead of using that time to better yourself financially so that you can pass down something tangible to the next generation, the best you guys can do is figure out how to extend the subsidized gravy train for another few decades??!!!!

Welfare mindset (the mindset that someone is responsible for maintaining one's lifestyle) truly creates a culture of dependency and prevent people from striving to be the best they can be. It is sad.

If your mom had saved money and bought a property in the 80s (after 10 years of super cheap subsidized rent from the 70s), you would be looking to inherit a property with atleast $300K to $1 million in equity. Add a $300K life insurance and your family would be in a great position.

With such a head start you could build on that and leave even more for your children (if you have any).

If you do succeed in acquiring the rights to live in this one bedroom apartment please, please, please, use the time to improve your finances so that you can leave more than 'subsidized rent' when you pass away.

I wish people realized how amazing the USA is and how many opportunities there are instead of making it their life's mission to exists subsidized by someone else.

Old 11-19-2021, 03:54 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,303,268 times
I know someone who pulled this scam in NYCHA. The mom has since passed away and the person is renting the NYCHA apartment and pocketing the difference. Family member who inherited the NYCHA apartment has always lived somewhere else.

While people who truly need affordable apartments are struggling.

The lengths people go to. Spending years of their life trying to hold on to an apartment in the projects.

Old 11-19-2021, 04:08 PM

37,233 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
I know someone who pulled this scam in NYCHA. The mom has since passed away and the person is renting the NYCHA apartment and pocketing the difference. Family member who inherited the NYCHA apartment has always lived somewhere else.

While people who truly need affordable apartments are struggling.

The lengths people go to. Spending years of their life trying to hold on to an apartment in the projects.

Report them?

Old 11-19-2021, 04:22 PM

316 posts, read 1,017,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
guaranteed the op does not live there and just made fraudulent documents so it looks like he does …of course now he wont admit to it since it is fraud
Oh...you guarantee it? Interesting! You're not willing to put up money, and bet on it though. If you are, would you like to pay me through PayPal or CashApp?

As to everyone else, thanks for all your replies. I actually have been living here for at least the last 2 years, but I may be leaving the country next year for an extended period of time. There's still one of my other siblings here as well, so we wouldn't be losing the rental property even if I did leave the country, because it would still correspond to my other sibling upon my mother's demise. I created the topic because I'm just trying to "get my ducks in a row", and plan/see what my options are.

For the people that commented very harshly and kind of insinuated that we should just leave the property when the time comes and let others rent it for nearly double the current price...nah. I'll do what I can to ensure that is not going to happen (I'm only one person, but I'll do what I can.). You can look at the economic ladder from the lowest rung all the way to the tippity top and find people trying to take advantages of laws and loopholes at every level. This should've shown you by now that: "Life is not fair.". Get a grip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City