Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 06:53 AM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

seems to me that just the fact his name is on a con ed bill for a women who has been living there since the 1970s is a red flag in itself in my book.

if he actually lived there there would be no need to change billing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2021, 08:32 AM

686 posts, read 300,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nonsense.

so you are supporting fraud ?

What fraud? He is not trying to commit fraud. He came here to ask what his rights are as son of a mother who lives in a rent controlled apartment. As one poster already mentioned it is best if OP googles "Succession rights rearding rent controlled apartments in nyc."

Old 11-20-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
seems to me that just the fact his name is on a con ed bill for a women who has been living there since the 1970s is a red flag in itself in my book.

if he actually lived there there would be no need to change billing
Maybe he pays the bill

Old 11-20-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rent.in.ny View Post
What fraud? He is not trying to commit fraud. He came here to ask what his rights are as son of a mother who lives in a rent controlled apartment. As one poster already mentioned it is best if OP googles "Succession rights rearding rent controlled apartments in nyc."
nonsense

if he is putting his name on bills and his license so it looks like he is living there or still living there it is fraud .

his original post made no reference to living there , only to the-fact he has the address on some things.

if he was living there for two years then why the post .it would be a given he has succession rights …it is clearly shown right on the stabilization website . if it was really a question he would not have omitted such a crucial piece of information in the original post

something here sounds fishy.

you want to believe this is legit , be my guest but i think the only thing missing here is it didnt start with once upon a time

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-20-2021 at 09:02 AM..

Old 11-20-2021, 10:25 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,375 times
Here is the problem with the fraud the OP is trying to commit, if we all decided to scam landlords by manipulating the rent-controlled regulations put in place several decades ago then the landlords would go bankrupt and the building would most likely go into foreclosure. Eventually the building would fall in disrepair because there is no money coming in to maintain it.

Once the boiler died there would be no heat. Once the hot water heater dies, there would be no hot water. If your upstairs neighbor had a leak it would never be addressed, mold would develop which would be a health hazard for you and your family. Blown breaker equals no electricity. This is just the tip of the iceberg in a list of disrepair that will unfold.

It's not about this one person trying to scam the system, it's about the many that do and think like the OP. You do not own this property. You just rent it. Lets say you bought a house in the 1970's for $50k. Now that house is worth over $1 million dollars. Would you sell the house a fraction of what it's worth, lets say $200k (I'm going by what the OP's mother is probably paying considering her rent-controlled rate).

You tell me OP, how is that fair? Can you possibly look at this issue subjectively or is your mind set on defrauding the landlord at all cost?

Old 11-20-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
nonsense

if he is putting his name on bills and his license so it looks like he is living there or still living there it is fraud .

his original post made no reference to living there , only to the-fact he has the address on some things.

if he was living there for two years then why the post .it would be a given he has succession rights …it is clearly shown right on the stabilization website . if it was really a question he would not have omitted such a crucial piece of information in the original post

something here sounds fishy.

you want to believe this is legit , be my guest but i think the only thing missing here is it didnt start with once upon a time
He does not know the requirements to be able to inherit the apartment. Therefore he came here to ask. Does thos make him suspicious of fraud, just asking questions?

Old 11-20-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Here is the problem with the fraud the OP is trying to commit, if we all decided to scam landlords by manipulating the rent-controlled regulations put in place several decades ago then the landlords would go bankrupt and the building would most likely go into foreclosure. Eventually the building would fall in disrepair because there is no money coming in to maintain it.

Once the boiler died there would be no heat. Once the hot water heater dies, there would be no hot water. If your upstairs neighbor had a leak it would never be addressed, mold would develop which would be a health hazard for you and your family. Blown breaker equals no electricity. This is just the tip of the iceberg in a list of disrepair that will unfold.

It's not about this one person trying to scam the system, it's about the many that do and think like the OP. You do not own this property. You just rent it. Lets say you bought a house in the 1970's for $50k. Now that house is worth over $1 million dollars. Would you sell the house a fraction of what it's worth, lets say $200k (I'm going by what the OP's mother is probably paying considering her rent-controlled rate).

You tell me OP, how is that fair? Can you possibly look at this issue subjectively or is your mind set on defrauding the landlord at all cost?
But it is the LAW, and if OP satisfies all requirements he inherits the apartment.
Btw,, not all apartments in a bulding are or remain rent controlled and are upgraded to market rate

Old 11-20-2021, 11:20 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Pinko politics.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-20-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rent.in.ny View Post
He does not know the requirements to be able to inherit the apartment. Therefore he came here to ask. Does thos make him suspicious of fraud, just asking questions?
yes it does when he doesnt say he is living there and only refers to putting his address on things

the logical question asked would have been i am living with my mother , can i stay in the apartment ?

that is likely what anyone of us would have asked had we not known the laws …not i have that address on my licence. and a con ed bill in my name , do i have succession rights .

that puts a big cloud over the whole scenario

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-20-2021 at 11:38 AM..

Old 11-20-2021, 11:40 AM

15,839 posts, read 14,472,390 times
If he's trying to fraudulently inherit the apartment, it's up to the LL to show that he doesn't actually live there. Given the state of technology, this is not that difficult, if it's really the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City