Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 05:00 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,261,520 times

Advertisements

I told you so? The last few years it was blatant and there were some who pretended it wasn't happening.
Politicians have always (tried) to buy votes but at least they tended to be coy about it.

Not anymore. Politicians in NYC are proudly buying votes out in the open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
Latinos tend to be more conservative on social issues especially coming from Latin America I know Puerto Ricans who very liberal on certain issues but conservative on other issues my late mom was like that!
Yes, Latinos and immigrants in general tend to be conservative. Many come from traditional societies.

However, being an immigrant is hard. Most immigrants do not see the fruits of their labor. It's their kids and grandkids who benefit from the move to the US.

The scumbag politicians knows this and they're trying, and are, buying their votes.

Whether you're conservative or not, if you're benefiting from gov handouts or have the potential to benefit, very few will turn that down.

Old 11-24-2021, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
The people that made up New York City of the
60's,70's 80's 90's have left...for greener pastures.

Think about it....

There are few foods that taste good
reheating them once taken out of the oven.

Based on the current trajectory,
It will be a long time before New York City regains
the honor and glory it once held in the past.............
There was a time where taking government handouts was looked down upon. No one but the most desperate would entertain the idea.

Nowadays, taking government handouts is a sport. Especially in a city like NYC. Not only is it not looked down upon, in many communities your neighbors think you're an idiot if you're not indulging.

Old 11-24-2021, 07:24 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,031,771 times
This is hilarious. Do you know who is even more conservative than Latinos ? Muslim immigrants from the Middle East and Africa. Of which NYC has a lot of. Imagine trying to get the imams to preach about alphabet letter gender identity politics, bail reform, etc.

Nature invented two genders. Democrats made up the rest.

Old 11-24-2021, 07:48 AM

2,447 posts, read 1,220,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
City Council punted a hot potato into laps of three eejits who likely could have done without.

If BdeB doesn't veto this thing it becomes law automatically IIRC. If he does veto CC likely will override, and since 80% or more are not coming back next year, they don't give a rat's a$$. With elections over those who ran for other offices either won or lost, so either way again it's no skin off their backs.

OTOH Bdeb, Hochul, and that James woman are all running next year for governor. James in particular is person as AG who should step in and say "no, you can't do this because it violates state laws". Same with Hochul, but as both desperately need downstate (read NYC) votes next year to win governor's seat neither want to pi$$ off Latino voters. And make no mistake that is who CC is targeting with this dog of a law.

And this is the reason I'm not 100% for Term Limits. Now open the primaries and we might have something.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:01 AM

1,274 posts, read 979,370 times
It's a strange move, but at the lowest level, it could make sense if they are contributing tax wise.

My only problem is that, and I say that as a permanent resident as of now, so a non-citizen, nowhere in the world they would have reciprocity. So New Yorkers will feel giving more than they are receiving when they go live in another country/city. And that doesn't sound right.

This should be discussed at a higher level. Maybe NYS, a bit like for driving licenses, could negotiate some form of voting rights reciprocity with some countries to make it worthwhile and meaningful. If not, this should not be passed.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:07 AM

1,274 posts, read 979,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
BdB already declared that he is not going to veto this legislation. He may decide not to sign it either, but in that case it would become law automatically.

Unless of course the whole scheme is illegal. I'm not a lawyer but voting rights law might be under the state's jurisdiction.
That's what De Blasio also says, but it's apparently disputed.

Old 11-24-2021, 08:10 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
It's a strange move, but at the lowest level, it could make sense if they are contributing tax wise.

My only problem is that, and I say that as a permanent resident as of now, so a non-citizen, nowhere in the world they would have reciprocity. So New Yorkers will feel giving more than they are receiving when they go live in another country/city. And that doesn't sound right.

This should be discussed at a higher level. Maybe NYS, a bit like for driving licenses, could negotiate some form of voting rights reciprocity with some countries to make it worthwhile and meaningful. If not, this should not be passed.
I've lived in 6 other countries and all but one, in the middle East, allowed anyone resident in the country to vote in national elections. One of them required all residents, including foreigners, to vote. I never voted in any of those countries, and was out of the country on vacation where it was mandatory.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
This is hilarious. Do you know who is even more conservative than Latinos ? Muslim immigrants from the Middle East and Africa. Of which NYC has a lot of. Imagine trying to get the imams to preach about alphabet letter gender identity politics, bail reform, etc.

Nature invented two genders. Democrats made up the rest.
You're right but also missing the bigger picture.

There's been a recent (last 10-25 years) huge immigration wave from central Asia (those countries traded US bases for immigration) into Brooklyn. Most are conservative Muslims. Most also are on huge government handouts due to having large families and (most) of the women not working.

It's in their self interest to vote for government handouts regardless of their personal religious beliefs.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I've lived in 6 other countries and all but one, in the middle East, allowed anyone resident in the country to vote in national elections. One of them required all residents, including foreigners, to vote. I never voted in any of those countries, and was out of the country on vacation where it was mandatory.
What were their welfare systems like? As much as people **** on the USs safety net programs, NYC is one of the largest welfare states (per Capita) in the entire world. The problem in the US isn't the size of welfare programs but the labor participation rate.

That's the problem. If you allow working age people to vote to expropriate money from others (so that they don't have to work) into their own pockets, they'll do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: