Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 07:45 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
NYCHA is an endless drain on NYC Taxpayers, a bottomless pit of money thrown at it for years and years. NYCHA was at first designed to be a stepping stone for the working class of NYC. Start out in a NYCHA apartment and then as your income increases move into a nicer market rate building or buy your own home. I know a few homeowners who started out in the Berry Homes or the big projects in lower Manhattan and later bought nice little houses on SI. That's when NYCHA was for motivated hard working people. Adams is going to have make some hard choices regarding NYCHA. Because at the current rate it will drag down the entire city with it.
Yes, because NYC needs more homeless people. I want to see a homeless city like SF or Portland and you'll pray for housing.

And no matter how the people at the bottom scam the system, which is, as you said, made to be scammed, you can believe me that those at the top are doing far, far better, and living in much better housing because of it. They want NYCHA to last forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 08:36 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
I have worked in NYCHA for over 20 years.

If NYCHA were a rainbow it would be located on the opposite end of where you expect to find that pot of gold.

Old 11-27-2021, 09:53 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
A private leech maybe, but not a leech at NYC taxpayers expense.
Exactly. I don't understand if the intention is to conflate the two and obfuscate the argument or if some start to rationalize in order to make themselves feel better.

If it's private money, why would I care what's done with it?

Last edited by Esacni; 11-27-2021 at 10:03 PM..

Old 11-27-2021, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Yes, because NYC needs more homeless people. I want to see a homeless city like SF or Portland and you'll pray for housing.

And no matter how the people at the bottom scam the system, which is, as you said, made to be scammed, you can believe me that those at the top are doing far, far better, and living in much better housing because of it. They want NYCHA to last forever.
Same tired, old justifications that the city's parasitic class has used for ages. " We might be scamming but there's someone who's even a bigger scammer!". How's that supposed to solve anything? Should we let murderers, who committed a single homicide, run free because some are serial murderers?

Furthermore, the only.people who.want NYCHA to last forever are certain politicians, those who work at NYCHA, and NYCHA contractors. Frankly, the people who work at NYCHA and the contractors are simply tools used by the parasitic relationship between NYCHA residents and politicians. NYCHA residents hand over votes and the politicians take other people's money and hand it to them.

The "bottom scammers" have more of an effect on the everyday taxpayer then the "people at the top". Without the "bottom scammers" and politicians there would be no " people at the top". By the way, who are these mythical "people at the top" that you're referring too?

Old 11-27-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Not all NYCHA residents are “leeches.” And just because one pays below market rate doesn’t mean they have to live with pests, asbestos and broken furniture. What would the purpose of NYCHA be? Have a heart. Many of these people are elderly and disabled or on their way out of the projects.

An ex friend of mine who lived in a luxury building in Chelsea and is like 30 and lives with her parents and pays no rent. Is she a leech too?
We're not talking about the elderly or truly disabled. That's another scam prevalent in NYCHA. All types of fake mental and physical "disabilities". Am I wrong?

Old 11-27-2021, 10:28 PM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
We're not talking about the elderly or truly disabled. That's another scam prevalent in NYCHA. All types of fake mental and physical "disabilities". Am I wrong?
No, you’re not wrong. I knew of a man who was an executive chef in the city for a gourmet five star restaurant and lived in NYCHA. Something is up when you make 6 figures or more and live in NYCHA. But there are also genuine people in NYCHA who are actually in need. I know of at least two older women in their 70s whose retirement do not stretch enough for market rate. But yes, the program needs to be revamped. I’m just not for throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:34 PM

Oh and by the way, I’m watching a documentary on Jeffrey Epstein and this guy was such a con artist - aside from a predator. So not only people in NYCHA fit the bill but the scumbags like Epstein! Faking and writing s.hit off in taxes, give me a break. Just like Madoff. They’re just as much leech if not worse than NYCHA leeches! not all rich people are leeches and neither are all NYCHA people.

Old 11-27-2021, 11:45 PM

416 posts, read 247,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This the best thread you could start today? You can do better, I believe in you even if you don't believe in yourself.
Stop trying to silence people. These people that live in these communities don't care for their own space.

Old 11-28-2021, 02:52 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
No, you’re not wrong. I knew of a man who was an executive chef in the city for a gourmet five star restaurant and lived in NYCHA. Something is up when you make 6 figures or more and live in NYCHA. But there are also genuine people in NYCHA who are actually in need. I know of at least two older women in their 70s whose retirement do not stretch enough for market rate. But yes, the program needs to be revamped. I’m just not for throwing the baby out with the bath water.
once you go over a certain level of income and assets you can stay in your nych apartment but pay full rent .

assets count too as there is a formula used that converts assets into an income stream and that is counted as income.

personally i made it a lifetime goal never to go back to a nych project with my own family..

Old 11-28-2021, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
once you go over a certain level of income and assets you can stay in your nych apartment but pay full rent .

assets count too as there is a formula used that converts assets into an income stream and that is counted as income.

personally i made it a lifetime goal never to go back to a nych project with my own family..
Sometimes they report it off the books. He got paid half in check and half by cash. Still, I don’t think everyone in NYCHA is a scam artist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City