Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 07:04 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Now you're cooking with gas

So people created a system to be easily scammed on? Why create the system if people are just out to scam it? What's in it for the creators?
There's nothing conspiratorial here. This is just another case of two groups getting into business and making someone else pay. In this case the two groups are the tenants and the politicians.

The tenants provide their votes and the politicians provide other people's money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2021, 07:05 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
There's nothing conspiratorial here. This is just another case of two groups getting into business and making someone else pay. In this case the two groups are the tenants and the politicians.

The tenants provide their votes and the politicians provide other people's money.
Would you say this is since NYCHA's inception?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-29-2021, 07:23 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Would you say this is since NYCHA's inception?
You tell me?

Quote:
The high demand for inexpensive housing allowed NYCHA to be
selective in choosing residents. The families that moved into Wil-
liamsburg and Harlem River Houses in 1937 first passed through
a lengthy screening process. The first cut of selectivity was by
race — the projects were strictly segregated, with Williamsburg
open only to whites and Harlem River only to blacks. Next,
NYCHA evaluated applicants by both “need and merit.”

However,
NYCHA had no interest in providing housing for the poorest New
Yorkers; only those families headed by breadwinners with stable
jobs were eligible for these projects. In addition, potential residents
also had to prove to NYCHA administrators that they had insur-
ance policies, bank accounts, and proper housekeeping skills.
The population that first entered public housing in New York
were, as a result of these policies, rarely those most in need of it.

Every family selected for Harlem River Houses, for instance, had
at least one wage earner, and one-fourth of the families had two
people working. Considering that unemployment in Harlem was
at least 40 percent, families entering the project were well-off
compared with the population of the surrounding neighborhood.

Old 11-29-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
You tell me?
So why invent a system so easy to scam?

Also, please post a link next time

Old 11-29-2021, 08:02 PM

870 posts, read 414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
I escaped NYCHA. The massive motivator was being one of a handful of Asian residents in a predominantly Black and Hispanic ( Rican) building.

We experienced monthly harassment, robberies, and assaults. This was in the 1980s through 1990s.
I believe you, I worked on an Adult Protective Services case, for instance, where the son, part of a Blood subset was robbing, hitting, and cutting off his own handicapped mother's benefit card because she refused to give him more money, so I can only imagine what it was being Asian (East Asian I guess?) in a NYCHA complex, also proving than anti-Asian hate crimes are nothing new, and definitely not the product of "White Supremacy". You guys have it worse than Whites and Arabs in this type of environment.

Many NYCHA complexes are hell, not because of the buildings themselves, but the people who live in them, with their sense of entitlement, and their notion that, because the rent is cheap and they're poor they have the right to pee, crap, spit, drop garbage all over.... And from my experience working with residents of nearly all NYCHA complexes in 4 of the 5 boroughs (not Staten Island), those who treat their buildings this way also treat their own apartment the same way.

Old 11-29-2021, 08:07 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,211,227 times
Quote:
The extent of entitlement in NYC is horrifying. You'd think paying virtually nothing for rent, people would spend a few dollars out or pocket repairing minor issues.

The residents are parasites. NYCHA employees are parasites.

https://nypost.com/2021/11/26/nychas...e-hill-houses/

Can't fix a drawer?

I understand she's elderly but No kids ,grandkids, neighbor to help fix a shower rod or are they living in their own NYCHA apartments and just don't care?

Every NYCHA apt should also come with a complimentary BMW.
How does it possibly matter who pays what part of the rent relative to the landlord keeping the place up?

Old 11-29-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
I believe you, I worked on an Adult Protective Services case, for instance, where the son, part of a Blood subset was robbing, hitting, and cutting off his own handicapped mother's benefit card because she refused to give him more money, so I can only imagine what it was being Asian (East Asian I guess?) in a NYCHA complex, also proving than anti-Asian hate crimes are nothing new, and definitely not the product of "White Supremacy". You guys have it worse than Whites and Arabs in this type of environment.

Many NYCHA complexes are hell, not because of the buildings themselves, but the people who live in them, with their sense of entitlement, and their notion that, because the rent is cheap and they're poor they have the right to pee, crap, spit, drop garbage all over.... And from my experience working with residents of nearly all NYCHA complexes in 4 of the 5 boroughs (not Staten Island), those who treat their buildings this way also treat their own apartment the same way.
You worked on it how? Did you help them any? Refer them to any therapists? What did you do for them exactly? Did their life improve any because of your involvement?

By your words, it was an Adult Protective Services case, so how exactly did you protect both adults from further self-harm?

Old 11-29-2021, 11:50 PM

3,350 posts, read 1,239,574 times
my heinous aunt was like this. she had an apartment (not run by the city) she wasn't really entitled too (was her grandmas who died) she moved in paying something like 200 a month for rent. at first they didn't even really try to get her out, but she has zero common sense. she started calling them nonstop to fix this fix that bc the place was old. she should have realized how much money she was saving, paid to have things she wanted fixed and been done with it. instead she kept getting dragged to housing court and spending money on a lawyer. she kept winning but it would have been far cheaper and more pleasant for her to just have had things fixed herself. none of this surprised me as she was also banned from most of the local businesses in the neighborhood.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:52 PM

3,350 posts, read 1,239,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Not all NYCHA residents are “leeches.” And just because one pays below market rate doesn’t mean they have to live with pests, asbestos and broken furniture. What would the purpose of NYCHA be? Have a heart. Many of these people are elderly and disabled or on their way out of the projects.

An ex friend of mine who lived in a luxury building in Chelsea and is like 30 and lives with her parents and pays no rent. Is she a leech too?
assuming she's healthy yes she's leeching off of her parents.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:59 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,032,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post

Ironically, as a teen I was protected. I delivered packages for a local Puerto Rican guy who put the word out I was not to be touched. He figured correctly that police would stop a black or hispanic messenger but not an asian one carrying a restaurant takeout bag. I never opened his packages and got paid $20 for each trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City