Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 01:22 PM

5,856 posts, read 2,977,889 times

Advertisements

Look up anti depressant/anti anxiety withdrawals. Getting off those things alone might make you want to end it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 02:12 PM

4,200 posts, read 4,100,609 times
In 1995, a man jumped from a building on Rector Street in lower Manhattan and landed in Trinity Church Cemetery a few feet away from Alexander Hamilton’s grave. I came upon the scene shortly after it happened. The man had been decapitated, probably from hitting his head on a tombstone. Somebody had covered his body with a sheet and his head with a smaller sheet. I think he was covered by someone from the church because the cops had just arrived and there was no ambulance yet. The next day there was a small paragraph about it in the Daily News. I still can’t figure out why the guy didn’t land straight down on Rector Street. Although Rector Street is very narrow he easily cleared it and landed 15 feet or more inside the cemetery fence. Maybe he got a running start from the roof. Very odd.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:36 PM

From what I have gathered, regret is often instantaneous in these situations.

There is a guy who jumped off a bridge and lived. Talks about just that. He is a motivational speaker now or some thing like that.

Old 11-30-2021, 03:07 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,782,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
From what I have gathered, regret is often instantaneous in these situations.

There is a guy who jumped off a bridge and lived. Talks about just that. He is a motivational speaker now or some thing like that.
Woah. That's what I heard too. That if you don't give into it, no matter how strong the urge may be (suicide, drinking, smoking) that the desire passes or subsides in time.

That's what happened to someone I know. His friend called him up in the middle of the night wanting to end it all. He told him not to do anything until he got there, sat talking with him all night and the moment passed never to come up again. Thank God.

Old 11-30-2021, 05:52 PM

16,150 posts, read 6,896,236 times
I remember a suicide up at Washbridge Towers in the early 80's.
Those are the buildings that straddle the GW Bridge. It was an
awful sight.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I remember a suicide up at Washbridge Towers in the early 80's.
Those are the buildings that straddle the GW Bridge. It was an
awful sight.
I never understood it. Why was that building built on top of the entrance to GW bridge. First the pollution and what about structural stress both to the building and the entrance to the bridge. How would the repairs take place when the building needs it? Closure of lanes for years?

Old 11-30-2021, 06:53 PM

31,957 posts, read 27,093,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
I never understood it. Why was that building built on top of the entrance to GW bridge. First the pollution and what about structural stress both to the building and the entrance to the bridge. How would the repairs take place when the building needs it? Closure of lanes for years?
In a few words, cheap air rights.

Port Authority sold air rights above approach to GWB to NYC for what city always does; build "affordable" housing with as little cost to taxpayers as possible.

Finding low cost land was something then and still today all developers in NYC struggle with, and air rights again then and now play a huge role in housing, especially "low income' and "affordable"

City's inclusionary bonus program is built upon premise of giving developers more FAR to play around with if they will provide a portion of low income/affordable housing.

https://www.nytimes.com/1974/02/24/a...-at-10-is.html

Old 11-30-2021, 08:10 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,752,644 times
"There is a guy who jumped off a bridge and lived. Talks about just that. He is a motivational speaker now or some thing like that."

Yeah. That was depressing to learn. I always thought that once you took that last awful step, at least you'd feel some relief that it was all coming to an end. Turns out not to be the case, at least for some of them.

National Suicide Hotline: 800-273-8255

Someone gives a damn that you're alive and not dead.

Old 12-01-2021, 04:34 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,746,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Someone gives a damn that you're alive and not dead.
Everybody needs to watch "it's a Wonderful Life" right now

Old 12-01-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Everybody needs to watch "it's a Wonderful Life" right now
https://youtu.be/VNNTKZ4hEyw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: