Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 02:14 AM

8 posts, read 4,651 times

Advertisements

I am an Asian born in the US and planning to move to NYC in 6 months. I enjoy to be close by Asian food and markets and was wondering if I should move to somewhere in Midtown Manhattan or Flushing as a late 30s single working professional. I read that many immigrants live in Flushing but was wondering if it’ll be harder for me to meet other working professionals for social outings. Is it easy to meet people in Flushing or will I constantly be commuting to Manhattan for social activities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2021, 05:50 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
It depends.

How many times a week does your employer want you to be in office?

Do you enjoy being around FOBs?

I grew up in Flushing and my personal observation has been that most American Asians I grew up with left Flushing as soon as they could. Because there is too much of a cultural difference apparently. Today the population is a lot younger and more educated, there's more things to do than 20 years ago for sure. But unless you are a foodie and want to keep your Mandarin/Cantonese fresh I'm not sure of the benefit.

There are now many more educated FOBs your age in Flushing than ever before in history. But their mentality, culture and lifestyle will probably be significantly different from yours, especially if you are from the West Coast or Midwest. You may experience a "double culture shock".

I don't know your personality but I suppose if you watch Mikey Chen he is somewhat a good archetype of the stereotypical Flushing dude. I'm not even Chinese and I'm quite similar to him in many respects.

I suppose the question is do you want Real Housewives of Flushing or Midtown. How comfortable do you feel with the Omegatron/Optimus Prime variant? In Flushing people will be more respectful with mask wearing than in Midtown Manhattan. Lots of things to consider.

Old 12-03-2021, 06:13 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,322 times
As an ABC, you have about as much in common with Chinese immigrants as Irish or Italians in NYC have with real Irish or Italians.

Old 12-03-2021, 06:32 AM

2,543 posts, read 2,865,719 times
Long Island City would give you the best of both worlds between Flushing and Midtown.

Old 12-03-2021, 08:05 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Long Island City would give you the best of both worlds between Flushing and Midtown.
There is the Q19 bus, but it's annoying getting to flushing from LIC.

Old 12-03-2021, 08:18 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
There is the Q19 bus, but it's annoying getting to flushing from LIC.
That's what the 7 train is for.

Old 12-03-2021, 08:22 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
There's lots of ABCs in Flushing and that number has only grown since I used to hang out there.

Old 12-03-2021, 08:42 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
I highly second that. I think you would really like LIC. 15 min to Midtown Manhattan and 30 min to Flushing taking the 7. Lots of young people particularly Asian Americans, restaurants, parks, activities to do. Brand new apartments, clean, I believe safe and more grocery stores are opening up.

https://www.planetizen.com/news/2021...-new-york-city

Where New Asian Residents Are Transforming New York City

Asians were the only major racial group in increase in population in all five boroughs of New York City since 2010. Long Island City in Queens saw a fivefold increase of Asian residents.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/18/n...s%20population.

Yumpling, a Taiwanese eatery, opened its first brick-and-mortar restaurant in August 2020, when New York City was in an uneasy limbo between waves of the coronavirus. Indoor dining was still banned, but the owners had signed the lease right before the pandemic and could not keep paying rent on an empty storefront.

To their surprise, they sold out of food within three hours of opening their doors in Long Island City, Queens. A line of Asian Americans waited around the block for beef noodle soup and pork dumplings.

Despite the challenges presented by the pandemic, Yumpling, which had operated a food truck in Manhattan, is one of at least 15 Asian-owned businesses — including a Mandarin child care center and hair salon — that have opened in the neighborhood since March 2020.

“The whole rise of the Asian American population has been crazy,” said Chris Yu, 30, a co-owner and native of Taiwan.

Old 12-03-2021, 09:51 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,030,467 times
The 7 train commute to Manhattan sucks. Don't expect many ppl in other boroughs to visit you. Street parking is bad unless you want to pay for it.

If you want great food then just stick to the 7 from flushing to 74th st. Indian, Latin, Filipino, Nepali foods are at your doorstep at a fraction of the prices in Manhattan.

Old 12-03-2021, 10:27 AM

8 posts, read 4,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
The 7 train commute to Manhattan sucks. Don't expect many ppl in other boroughs to visit you. Street parking is bad unless you want to pay for it.

If you want great food then just stick to the 7 from flushing to 74th st. Indian, Latin, Filipino, Nepali foods are at your doorstep at a fraction of the prices in Manhattan.
Does it suck because of the long commute, infrequent train schedule or something else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City