Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 04:01 PM

34,188 posts, read 47,607,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
A mortgage is not equivalent to this type of deal. If I want to sell my house tomorrow, I can. There's nothing stopping me. There must be some negative aspect to the contract these people sign which makes it highly undesirable to sell before 25 years have passed. They have this and a mortgage.
Back in my day people didn't sell houses every 10 years

My parents lived in their house for almost 40

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2021, 04:04 PM

8,948 posts, read 4,827,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Shame about the couple, but who would sign a piece a paper stating you had to live in a certain place for 25 years???

Your home is a prison sentence, can we also interest you in a life of indentured servitude?
That's what got me. Who in their right mind would agree to something like that. 5 years, maybe but... 25?!
No.

Old 12-03-2021, 04:10 PM

19,116 posts, read 14,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Back in my day people didn't sell houses every 10 years

My parents lived in their house for almost 40
Sometimes that isn't the best choice for various reasons, sometimes it is.

Regardless, that's a personal choice. This is a different situation. They made an agreement to get the house either cheaper or with mortgage approval terms they'd have been denied on the open market.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-03-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Sometimes that isn't the best choice for various reasons, sometimes it is.

Regardless, that's a personal choice. This is a different situation. They made an agreement to get the house either cheaper or with mortgage approval terms they'd have been denied on the open market.
I'm not denying that

I'm just saying times have changed, people didnt sell their houses every 10 years

So to stay for 25 back in the day was a a non-issue, seems like its a big deal now (I wonder why )

Hell, ARMs are still a new thing as far as I'm concerned.

Old 12-03-2021, 04:59 PM

1,095 posts, read 574,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
That's what got me. Who in their right mind would agree to something like that. 5 years, maybe but... 25?!
No.
They don't have to live there 25 years. I believe they can move out whenever they want, and sell whenever they want, but the terms of the contract are that the loan is forgiven if they stay the whole 25 years. If they move out after 5 or 10, that's cool. Just will have to re-pay some of the forgivable loan.

Old 12-04-2021, 05:41 AM

16,255 posts, read 7,007,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What's the difference between this and a 30 year mortgage? If you sell and and still owe on the home somebody still has to pick up the tab

This is the difference between buying a house and a home

Clearly these ppl bought a home and not a house. There is a difference.

There is a difference between the program and a 30 year mortgage.

( program that requires the owners to live there for 25 years.)

That's an occupancy agreement that I would never ever sign.......comes with penalties.

Old 12-04-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

That's an occupancy agreement that I would never ever sign.......comes with penalties.
How long have you lived in your house?

Old 12-04-2021, 09:03 AM

1,095 posts, read 574,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

I don't see it as a penalty. It's just something that doesn't allow them to keep all the free money they would be given by the city if they did stay the full 25 years.

Instead of seeing it as a penalty if you leave early, you see it as a gift you get if you stay 25 years.
Stay 1 year - no gift. Stay 10 years - partial gift, stay 25 years, full gift.

Old 12-04-2021, 09:08 AM

42,813 posts, read 26,527,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
A very very bad deal indeed. So much can happen in 25 years. What if the neighborhood you make that 25 year deal in turns ghetto in 5 years. Or a change in jobs, divorce, etc. A deal for suckers.
In similar programs that I'm familiar with the 25 years is the point at which the grant for the down payment is forgiven. If you sell prior to that time you have to repay outstanding balance on the grant

Old 12-04-2021, 09:42 AM

2,115 posts, read 1,161,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
I don't see it as a penalty. It's just something that doesn't allow them to keep all the free money they would be given by the city if they did stay the full 25 years.

Instead of seeing it as a penalty if you leave early, you see it as a gift you get if you stay 25 years.
Stay 1 year - no gift. Stay 10 years - partial gift, stay 25 years, full gift.

Exactly.

I think that initially, it’s a last ditch mechanism to allow for someone to acquire property. As circumstances change, if the owner sells, they can forfeit the deal, and still make good on the value of the sale in good time. People get promoted, come into money different ways, and circumstances dictate whether it’s worth staying or leaving, and forfeiting on the deal. I’m more concerned with their reason for worrying about their home situation.

Heck, people buy expensive cars and lose out on selling them over time, and vast sums of money go down the drain that way.

If the couple repaired at a cost of 100k after Sandy, the house has probably increased significantly since then. The value is OK; the neighbors not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City