Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 10:52 PM

32,040 posts, read 27,262,808 times

Advertisements

Bodega owners are organizing and sounding alarms as grocery store delivery apps such as JOKR, Gorillas, and Buyk are making inroads into their territory.

https://www.amny.com/news/bodega-own...s-apps-expand/

Guess selling all that stolen Hagan Daz and other stuff just isn't profitable enough...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2021, 04:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 6,957,101 times
Having worked the 5 boroughs of New York City and Beyond for
close to 40 years Bodegas were the go to stores for only one reason.

A quick Cup of coffee and a buttered and jellied roll.
Any purchase beyond was expensive and a roll of the dice
compared to shopping at the supermarket. Just my opinion.

Small privately owned businesses are going the way of the dinosaur
as our landscape is changing as a result of bad politics.

My greater concern? Supermarkets that are now on the endangered lists.

Old 12-04-2021, 10:06 AM

19,103 posts, read 14,090,889 times
What's to complain about? They are free to come in and purchase everything at the same price as everyone else. Don't give the third party delivery any concession. If they can't then make their service affordable, people won't use it. If they do make it affordable without the bodega giving a discount to them or any concession at all, then who cares?

Point is, treat third party delivery people like regular customers. It's their problem to make their own profit if they think this is a viable business model.

If a bagel with cream cheese costs $2.00, the delivery guy pays $2.00. It's his problem to try to make a profit after that.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-04-2021, 10:16 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,134,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Bodega owners are organizing and sounding alarms as grocery store delivery apps such as JOKR, Gorillas, and Buyk are making inroads into their territory.

https://www.amny.com/news/bodega-own...s-apps-expand/

Guess selling all that stolen Hagan Daz and other stuff just isn't profitable enough...
This is sort of like the yellow cabs protesting about uber, lyft, etc. It did nothing for them.

Bodegas should face reality and change their business model.

Old 12-04-2021, 09:18 PM

357 posts, read 729,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
What's to complain about? They are free to come in and purchase everything at the same price as everyone else. Don't give the third party delivery any concession. If they can't then make their service affordable, people won't use it. If they do make it affordable without the bodega giving a discount to them or any concession at all, then who cares?

Point is, treat third party delivery people like regular customers. It's their problem to make their own profit if they think this is a viable business model.

If a bagel with cream cheese costs $2.00, the delivery guy pays $2.00. It's his problem to try to make a profit after that.

Did you read the article? They're not buying stuff from bodegas to resell, they have mini warehouses where they pack up orders then deliver.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:48 AM

19,103 posts, read 14,090,889 times
If that's the case then too bad guys. Your business model has stagnated. Oh well.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-05-2021, 10:39 AM

2,324 posts, read 1,171,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If that's the case then too bad guys. Your business model has stagnated. Oh well.

The small grocery store business model has been dying a slow death over the last 60 years. I'm surprised that the Bodegas have survived this long. My grandfather owned a small grocery store in Brooklyn. Italians didn't call them bodegas but it was the same idea. The growth of nearby supermarkets and changing tastes eventually forced him to close that little grocery store - in 1959. So this is nothing new but I wish the very hard working Bodega owners of NYC luck.

Old 12-05-2021, 10:48 AM

1,064 posts, read 556,436 times
I've always assumed they survive because they provide credit to customers until payday, like in the olden days.

Old 12-05-2021, 10:51 AM

2,324 posts, read 1,171,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
I've always assumed they survive because they provide credit to customers until payday, like in the olden days.

Maybe but that is an inadvisable practice for a modern business of any size.

Old 12-05-2021, 11:21 AM

15,883 posts, read 14,568,958 times
I don't think they residents in the area the serve owe them anything. If they want to app shop, they should be able to. I didn't favor giving yellow cabs support against the intrusion of rideshare app cars. I wouldn't support giving bodegas support against grocery app competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City