Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2021, 05:49 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,778,202 times

Advertisements

Interesting. Wasn't aware that these orders already exist in certain neighborhoods like ... Flushing!
I know my mom as well as a neighbor of my mom's have been harassed over the years about selling their home but not recently.

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/brookl...d-desist-zone/

Legislation recently signed into law by Gov. Kathy Hochul could make Brooklyn a real estate “cease-and-desist” zone following a public input period just launched by the state.

The legislation, sponsored by Brownsville Assemblymember Nick Perry and central Brooklyn State Senator Kevin Parker, was signed by Hochul in early November. The Department of State announced in early December that they would begin seeking input from Brooklyn residents as they entered into an investigation into whether the borough was worthy of the designation.

The legislation is intended to protect Brooklyn homeowners from frequent solicitation from real estate brokers intent on convincing them to sell their homes, a constant occurrence in Brooklyn throughout the past decade as housing inventory has decreased dramatically.

Several of these zones exist throughout New York, including in East New York, parts of Queens including Flushing, and parts of the Bronx including Country Club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 06:07 PM

34,120 posts, read 47,349,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Interesting. Wasn't aware that these orders already exist in certain neighborhoods like ... Flushing!
I know my mom as well as a neighbor of my mom's have been harassed over the years about selling their home but not recently.

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/brookl...d-desist-zone/

Legislation recently signed into law by Gov. Kathy Hochul could make Brooklyn a real estate “cease-and-desist” zone following a public input period just launched by the state.

The legislation, sponsored by Brownsville Assemblymember Nick Perry and central Brooklyn State Senator Kevin Parker, was signed by Hochul in early November. The Department of State announced in early December that they would begin seeking input from Brooklyn residents as they entered into an investigation into whether the borough was worthy of the designation.

The legislation is intended to protect Brooklyn homeowners from frequent solicitation from real estate brokers intent on convincing them to sell their homes, a constant occurrence in Brooklyn throughout the past decade as housing inventory has decreased dramatically.

Several of these zones exist throughout New York, including in East New York, parts of Queens including Flushing, and parts of the Bronx including Country Club.
What did they do exactly?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-08-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What did they do exactly?
Phone calls. E-mail. Letters. Even had people ring the doorbell to inquire if they were planning to sell anytime soon. And if not, why not.

I've had people bug me about selling my condo in Manhattan. Had to threaten to call the police at one point because they wouldn't take no for an answer. In my case, this even went on during the height of the pandemic. It's puzzling because they even got my private unlisted cell number. Haven't heard from them recently though.

Old 12-08-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Phone calls. E-mail. Letters. Even had people ring the doorbell to inquire if they were planning to sell anytime soon. And if not, why not.

I've had people bug me about selling my condo in Manhattan. Had to threaten to call the police at one point because they wouldn't take no for an answer. In my case, this even went on during the height of the pandemic. It's puzzling because they even got my private unlisted cell number. Haven't heard from them recently though.
What you mean wouldn't take no for an answer?

Old 12-08-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What you mean wouldn't take no for an answer?
They kept bugging us. Asking us why we didn't want to sell. And no matter what we said, they (it was mostly realtors) wouldn't stop calling us until we mentioned the cops or an attorney and that would shut them up for a time only for it to start up all over again. My mom's neighbor had it worse. They actually had people show up at their door. My mom and I never had it like that. Although, I had someone follow me to the gym once to ask about selling my unit. We now just have to deal with the random phone calls, e-mails and letters from time to time. I've learned to just ignore it and if they personally accost me, I mention my attorney and they leave.

Old 12-08-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
They kept bugging us. Asking us why we didn't want to sell. And no matter what we said, they (it was mostly realtors) wouldn't stop calling us until we mentioned the cops or an attorney and that would shut them up for a time only for it to start up all over again. My mom's neighbor had it worse. They actually had people show up at their door. My mom and I never had it like that. Although, I had someone follow me to the gym once to ask about selling my unit. We now just have to deal with the random phone calls, e-mails and letters from time to time. I've learned to just ignore it and if they personally accost me, I mention my attorney and they leave.
Like junk mail in person

Smh

Old 12-08-2021, 07:30 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,303,268 times
That is already in place. There is a way to put yourself on a do not contact list. We never get calls about our property in Brooklyn

Old 12-08-2021, 07:31 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,303,268 times
https://dos.ny.gov/cease-and-desist-zones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: