Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the new NYPD PC will go a good job in her term?
Yes 1 4.17%
No 7 29.17%
Too soon to tell 16 66.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 01:07 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,026,243 times

Advertisements

I've heard good things about her...but I have my doubts. For one I believe that since announcing himself as the only one who can get crime under control---Adams is going to keep a close hand on the NYPD...and I also believe that he appointed Phillip Banks as the 'Deputy Mayor of Public Safety' to be his personal lackey....Sewell's appointment is if anything, simply symbolic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 02:46 PM

34,179 posts, read 47,465,420 times
So we not even going to give her 6 months in her new position before we start making evals? Sheesh. Last I checked every job has a probationary period.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-19-2021, 03:03 PM

147 posts, read 60,922 times
If only people held the current police commissioner, Dermot Shea to the same level of scrutiny. Why is it that no one speaks about the present police commissioner's extreme incompetence?

Old 12-19-2021, 03:22 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,260,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So we not even going to give her 6 months in her new position before we start making evals? Sheesh. Last I checked every job has a probationary period.
This is not about evaluating her so much as evaluating the process that got her this gig.

Old 12-19-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
This is not about evaluating her so much as evaluating the process that got her this gig.
Well, let's let the numbers speak for themselves

I added a poll.

Old 12-19-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
What experience did Dermot Shea have leading and setting the mission, goals and objectives of any large organization?

Why is there no focus on Shea's current failings as police commissioner?

Old 12-19-2021, 04:36 PM

19,092 posts, read 14,056,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia_inNova View Post
What experience did Dermot Shea have leading and setting the mission, goals and objectives of any large organization?

Why is there no focus on Shea's current failings as police commissioner?
Uh...

Lol

Look up Shea's prior roles in the NYPD. You're making yourself look bad.

Hint: he manages WAY more than 352 people in a suburban county's detective division.

Also...

Plenty wrong with Shea. But this thread isn't about him. The tactic you are using is common on twitter but has zero relevance beyond the world of snippet arguments.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-19-2021, 04:48 PM

Put it to a vote

Go to the poll

Haha

Old 12-19-2021, 04:54 PM

19,092 posts, read 14,056,720 times
No interest. Doing so give credence to those who ignore well written posts in their pursuit of labelling dissent as agenda.

Note that not a single person addressed my mention of a much better qualified black woman as the #1 candidate.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-19-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Uh...

Lol

Look up Shea's prior roles in the NYPD. You're making yourself look bad.

Hint: he manages WAY more than 352 people in a suburban county's detective division.

Also...

Plenty wrong with Shea. But this thread isn't about him. The tactic you are using is common on twitter but has zero relevance beyond the world of snippet arguments.
I looked up his record and it states the following:

Sworn in as a Patrolman – 1991
NYPD Sergeant Stripes.svg Promoted to Sergeant – 1994
US-OF1B.svg Promoted to Lieutenant – 1999
Captain insignia gold.svg Promoted to Captain – 2003
US-O4 insignia.svg Promoted to Deputy Inspector – 2008
Colonel Gold.png Promoted to Inspector – 2010
Promoted to Deputy Chief – 2013
Deputy Commissioner of Operations – 2014
Designated Chief of Crime Control Strategies – January 1, 2017
Promoted to Chief of Detectives – 2018
New York City Police Commissioner – December 1, 2019

Regardless of the steady promotions, he had no prior experience managing a large police force like NYPD, prior to being appointed as commissioner, by Mayor De Blasio. It seems like he simply followed orders and was rewarded with consistent promotions for being a good ole' boy.

Now let's critique his current performance as NYC Police Commissioner. Under Shea's leadership, there has been high spikes in crime throughout the city. Most people do not feel safe using public transportation. Why has there not been a call for his resignation? Do you honestly believe that if Adams was mayor and his selected police chief performed in the same manner as Shea, --there wouldn't be calls for her to resign for incompetence? Why is it ok for him to fail, but not ok for others to even be given a chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City