Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 11:10 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,327,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm bothered whenever people unjustly and irrationally wish to be violent.

In this case, any "pomposity" seems to be only in your own mind, and even if it were real, it's a strange trigger.
Perhaps you don't get it, but I get it. The media here in NYC has made a point of trying to point to certain groups having lower vaccination rates depending where they live in NYC and linking that to their political affiliation, etc., and then also implying that these groups tend to have higher COVID rates.

If you don't think that COVID hasn't been politicized here in NYC, I've got a bridge to sell you. I find that in particular, the liberal media has tried to paint certain groups as somehow less than, and yes, I take offense to it.

It is not in my mind. Throughout this pandemic, wearing a mask or not has definitely come with a political statement. The NYTimes even covered this story, and even when you are wearing one, for some it is not enough.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/03/u...-protests.html

Quote:
"ATLANTA — As the nation edges away from lockdown and people once again share public spaces in the middle of a pandemic, wearing a face mask — or refusing to — has become a flash point in a moment when civic rules are being rewritten, seemingly on the fly.

The result has been dirty looks, angry words, raw emotions and, at times, confrontations that have escalated into violence."
Now the majority of people from what I have seen are not using this whole COVID situation to make another point, but some are.

The fact that you're so bothered by a simple statement of what someone thought is comical. I can imagine you'd be one of the types that has been absolutely paranoid of this pandemic and acting over the top like some people I've seen covering their nose outside while wearing a mask despite being around people that are all masked. It's one thing to be concerned and another to be paralyzed with fear and over dramatic.

I only posted this topic to see how many other people have experienced this foolishness and how widespread it was. I think some of this is fueled again by reports that NYC is a hotspot, and so you have tourists esp. coming here terrified thinking the entire City is infected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 03:19 AM

67 posts, read 24,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The fact that you're so bothered by a simple statement of what someone thought is comical. I can imagine you'd be one of the types that has been absolutely paranoid of this pandemic and acting over the top like some people I've seen covering their nose outside while wearing a mask despite being around people that are all masked. It's one thing to be concerned and another to be paralyzed with fear and over dramatic.
Yeah I come across the over the top types. They wear masks outdoors when no one is around. They use these invisible social distancing concepts in a way to just be a flaming jerk to others around them. They behave in over the top hypocritical ways that are obvious to everyone.

Yeah overly dramatic.

Some people are just jerks that suck at life.

Old 01-02-2022, 07:28 AM

5,741 posts, read 2,641,695 times
Y'all think too negatively and that everything is about you.

I'm always adjusting my mask because they never fight tightly on me. One smile or yawn and I got to readjust. Have a conversation. Forget about it. Gotta move that mask every few seconds.

Now as far as pulling up their face mask from their chin when they pass you. Every think they may actually be trying to be considerate and it's not about them at all. Maybe they want to make the person walking by comfortable!

Old 01-02-2022, 07:38 AM

8,942 posts, read 4,786,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Now as far as pulling up their face mask from their chin when they pass you. Every think they may actually be trying to be considerate and it's not about them at all. Maybe they want to make the person walking by comfortable!
Exactly. I wouldn't assume they're doing that to say, "oooh, ooh, you have cooties!".
I think they're being considerate. And I can see some becoming upset and yelling put your mask on if you don't put your mask up when someone passes you.

People are wound up so tight right now, it's like you can't win without someone having an issue with you.

Old 01-02-2022, 08:18 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,327,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpbklyn View Post
mask are for protecting others, vaccine is for yourself.... so actually they are being mindful of you
The first part of true, but the second part is not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: