Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2022, 04:02 AM

158 posts, read 169,474 times

Advertisements

And btw his job is not to ignore the law it’s to uphold the law. No recall in NYS, that’s a California thing. Governor Hochul is able to remove and should otherwise for the love God hopefully Governor Suozzi will do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 05:23 AM

19,092 posts, read 14,064,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Encourage criminality? If thats the case, 100% of the population will become criminals then, since abiding by the law appears to not be the most lucrative.

So exactly what was going on prior to bail reform, I still saw major crimes being reported every day.
Sorry dude, this just isn't an intelligent response to the posts you quoted.

100% of people are never going to be criminals, and making such a statement is just more of your deflection from the topic at hand. We're not talking about bail reform here. We are talking about a DA who has stated that his office will almost never ask for jail sentences and will fully refuse to prosecute some crimes completely.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-06-2022, 05:52 AM

608 posts, read 241,686 times
Fat Alvin is a racist piece of sub-human garbage.. I'd bet my last dollar if a White man stole so much as a candy bar, misedemeanor, he'd push for the full year.

Old 01-06-2022, 06:08 AM

1,915 posts, read 748,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
George Soros funds the campaigns of these marxist lunatics, including Fat Alvin.
Why would he have an interest in destroying America's large cities? What's in it for him, as I doubt he is motivated by much beyond his own financial interests.

The people that benefit from this are organized crime elements, namely the Mexican drug cartels and their affiliated distribution gangs in the cities.

Old 01-06-2022, 06:27 AM

34,180 posts, read 47,478,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Sorry dude, this just isn't an intelligent response to the posts you quoted.

100% of people are never going to be criminals, and making such a statement is just more of your deflection from the topic at hand. We're not talking about bail reform here. We are talking about a DA who has stated that his office will almost never ask for jail sentences and will fully refuse to prosecute some crimes completely.

“We will be tough when we need to be, but we will not be seeking to destroy lives through unnecessary incarceration,” Bragg said in a statement.

“In practical terms that means: I’ve prosecuted gun cases and if you use a gun to rob a store, you will be prosecuted as a felony. I’ve prosecuted cases involving assaulting law enforcement, and if you punch a police officer, you will also be prosecuted as a felony,” he said. “But if you are houseless with an addiction problem and you steal toothpaste and some bread, you will be diverted for treatment to help break the cycle of recidivism.”

https://nypost.com/2022/01/05/nyc-sh...ncrease-crime/

How can you say that the current situation is working? The bad neighborhoods are still bad no matter what policies against crime are implemented. If you considered Brownsville and ENY safe enough for your kids to go to school there during the reign of your Lord Giuliani, then I might be swayed that this stop n frisk crap actually worked. Time to try new things. Manhattan is a transient borough, therefore it sees the cyclical change quicker than any other borough. I can't even blame the media at this point, people are free to interpret it to fit their agenda.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-06-2022, 07:05 AM

You're still doing it.

The DA's sole role is to prosecute crimes. Obviously there is some lee-way to deal with intervention and such, but in the end the DA is supposed to take the criminal law as duly-passed by the legislature and enforce it.

That is not what this DA intends to do.

Second, the DA should be much more concerned with the rights of victims. Victims don't have to live in Manhattan, NY, or even the United States. That is why people are concerned that the new DA of Manhattan has stated his anti-prosecution views.

Deflecting won't make this go away. There are definitely plenty of other reasons besides enforcement why crime either does or does not exist. But guess what? That is not the prosecutor's job.

I'm out. Discussing this is a waste. Anything negative about NYC - even when 100% real - sets you off into a defensive mode that makes discussion pointless. You're ok with the current situation (and apparently every step further down the ladder that we've encountered over the last few years). So why waste time? You should just ignore these threads.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Last edited by Airborneguy; 01-06-2022 at 07:48 AM..

Old 01-06-2022, 07:20 AM

2,474 posts, read 1,241,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierlifter View Post
And btw his job is not to ignore the law it’s to uphold the law. No recall in NYS, that’s a California thing. Governor Hochul is able to remove and should otherwise for the love God hopefully Governor Suozzi will do it.
Um, that would be racist

Old 01-06-2022, 07:21 AM

34,180 posts, read 47,478,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You're still doing it.

The DA's sole role is to prosecute crimes. Obviously there is some lee-way to deal with intervention and such, but in the end the DA is supposed to take the criminal law as duly-passed by the legislature [i]and enforce it[/].

That is not what this DA intends to do.

Second, the DA should be much more concerned with the rights of victims. Victims don't have to live in Manhattan, NY, or even the United States. That is why people are concerned that the new DA of Manhattan has stated his anti-prosecution views.

Deflecting won't make this go away. There are definitely plenty of other reasons besides enforcement why crime either does or does not exist. But guess what? That is not the prosecutor's job.

I'm out. Discussing this is a waste. Anything negative about NYC - even when 100% real - sets you off into a defensive mode that makes discussion pointless. You're ok with the current situation (and apparently every step further down the ladder that we've encountered over the last few years). So why waste time? You should just ignore these threads.
Whats there to discuss? Everybody is just supposed to jump on the bandwagon and not have their own opinion. My opinion is that the current system does not work, and let's try something different, which is what this new DA is doing. Now you don't want to talk because I don't agree with you?

You really think cops in the worst neighborhoods are making a difference? The bad neighborhoods still have high crime, how is high crime being reduced in these bad neighborhoods then?

So the DA's quote here, you have no comment on this?

“In practical terms that means: I’ve prosecuted gun cases and if you use a gun to rob a store, you will be prosecuted as a felony. I’ve prosecuted cases involving assaulting law enforcement, and if you punch a police officer, you will also be prosecuted as a felony,” he said. “But if you are houseless with an addiction problem and you steal toothpaste and some bread, you will be diverted for treatment to help break the cycle of recidivism.”

When the celebs go to rehab it makes news, God forbid the poors need help from addiction or whatever other help they cant afford

We just go with whatever's convenient for us to accept.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-06-2022, 07:52 AM

There have always been diversion programs. I watched hundreds of people accept them back in 2006-2007 when I worked in Brooklyn Criminal Court. This is not a new concept.

Furthermore, while this last post does more closely address the issue, you haven't been doing that most of the thread. Come on, I know you know this.

As to the quote you asked about:

Other policy statements up thread directly refute what he says here, so the answer is, "we'll see". In almost 20 years, in 3 boroughs, under 4 different DA's, I rarely saw punching a cop prosecuted as the felony it is supposed to be. I highly, highly doubt that THIS GUY is going to be the one to do it.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:38 AM

2,335 posts, read 1,045,940 times
Pretty obvious that the DA is catering to a subset of the liberal Black and Hispanic demographic. The wokesters and perpetual victimhood hucksters. Of course, many regular people of said demographics support more law and order but their voices are drowned out by the social justice warriors on twitter and other social media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City