Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2022, 09:16 AM

621 posts, read 243,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I thought these Democrats care about human life, so strange why Eric is pushing people back to the office. Is it safe to pack people into subway cars while Omicron is spreading like wildfire?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Agree it’s ridiculous!

I'll just leave this here for folks who are convinced that "leftist" Adams doesn't care about human life.

Gov Greg Abbott, quote "We’re moving forward with life as we know it,” Abbott said Tuesday in a radio interview when asked about omicron."

https://www.tpr.org/government-polit...micron-spreads

So if Abbott is saying we're moving forward, much like Adams is saying, should we be critical of Abbott too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 01:56 PM

3,525 posts, read 1,437,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
I'll just leave this here for folks who are convinced that "leftist" Adams doesn't care about human life.

Gov Greg Abbott, quote "We’re moving forward with life as we know it,” Abbott said Tuesday in a radio interview when asked about omicron."

https://www.tpr.org/government-polit...micron-spreads

So if Abbott is saying we're moving forward, much like Adams is saying, should we be critical of Abbott too?

Interesting point, but I will give Abbott the benefit of the doubt that he's not forcing people like Adams is. I mean, since when does the NYC mayor have the power to tell businesses what to do with its employees? If a business is allowing its employees to work from home, why does the NYC major have to butt in? If anyone should be forcing employees to go back to the office, it should be the employer.

Old 01-14-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Interesting point, but I will give Abbott the benefit of the doubt that he's not forcing people like Adams is. I mean, since when does the NYC mayor have the power to tell businesses what to do with its employees? If a business is allowing its employees to work from home, why does the NYC major have to butt in? If anyone should be forcing employees to go back to the office, it should be the employer.

Please point me to where Adams is using his power as mayor to force businesses to, in turn, force their employees back to the office. Similarly, if a business wants their employees to wear a mask, as is the case in the big cities like Austin and San Antonio, then why is the Texas governor butting in?

Old 01-14-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Please point me to where Adams is using his power as mayor to force businesses to, in turn, force their employees back to the office.

Did you not read the title of this thread?

Old 01-14-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Did you not read the title of this thread?
Quote:

I'm placing both of your statements here because you need to work through the logic yourself.

Ok so I read the title as you said.
Thread Title: NYC Mayor Eric Adams to big banks: We need you back in the office

You said in your prior post that Abbot is not forcing people like Adams.

Question: On what planet is telling people who don't work for you, "we need you back in the office" considered force? You can only force someone to do something if you have the authority. So if I tell you, "I need you to eat cat poop", am I forcing you to eat the cat poop? Or am I just making a plea?

Old 01-14-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Thread Title: NYC Mayor Eric Adams to big banks: We need you back in the office

You said in your prior post that Abbot is not forcing people like Adams.

Question: On what planet is telling people who don't work for you, "we need you back in the office" considered force? You can only force someone to do something if you have the authority. So if I tell you, "I need you to eat cat poop", am I forcing you to eat the cat poop? Or am I just making a plea?

OK, well regardless, Adams it out of bounds for telling people to go back to the office right in the middle of a big surge. That's not for him to say; that's up to each business to decide from themselves. And why even suggest such a thing when Covid numbers are skyrocketing?? Makes no sense!

Old 01-15-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
OK, well regardless, Adams it out of bounds for telling people to go back to the office right in the middle of a big surge. That's not for him to say; that's up to each business to decide from themselves. And why even suggest such a thing when Covid numbers are skyrocketing?? Makes no sense!
I think Adams is doing what any smart and savvy mayor or governor would do - he’s pushing for normalcy. Nothing wrong with that. And he’s right - the city’s economy will continue to suffer so long as people are working from home in NJ / Westchester/ Boise / wherever, and they’re not patronizing local nyc businesses. Places like Dallas and Miami are doing great in spite of COVID. Besides, Adams is banking on the assumption that most New Yorkers are vaccinated. Apparently with the high hospitalizations, that’s not the case. the good news is that this week the Covid infections dropped quite a bit.

Old 01-15-2022, 10:50 AM

2,335 posts, read 1,045,940 times
Another reason employers dont like WFH is their employees could be working multiple jobs without them knowing. This by itself is not a problem but it could be if theyre bound by noncompete agreements or other legal covenants. Or they could just be feeding info to the competition.

Old 01-15-2022, 11:25 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,276,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Another reason employers dont like WFH is their employees could be working multiple jobs without them knowing. This by itself is not a problem but it could be if theyre bound by noncompete agreements or other legal covenants. Or they could just be feeding info to the competition.

I make more now than most of the useless idiot middle managers. WFH makes them even more useless than they already were.
They probably hate that more than anything.

Old 01-15-2022, 11:27 AM

3,077 posts, read 5,512,241 times
Pushing for normalcy during a huge outbreak like this is not smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City