Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 09:37 AM

268 posts, read 357,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
$45K annual net before paying insurances as a single filer.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/new-yor...tor#YuEewEA8Xx

Thanks for this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 11:37 AM

61 posts, read 49,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya97 View Post
Thank you so much ! The hunt has just began but it does seem scary!
That budget isn't great to be in Manhattan. But it is a quick train ride from Astoria, Queens, Greenpoint, Brooklyn. I would have her look in Queens and Brooklyn. Most people making 65K don't like in Manhattan what is referred to as "the city" However, Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island and the Bronx are all NYC.

65,000 is not a lot of money in NYC.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:05 AM

268 posts, read 357,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyWeigh View Post
That budget isn't great to be in Manhattan. But it is a quick train ride from Astoria, Queens, Greenpoint, Brooklyn. I would have her look in Queens and Brooklyn. Most people making 65K don't like in Manhattan what is referred to as "the city" However, Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island and the Bronx are all NYC.

65,000 is not a lot of money in NYC.
Well hopefully its a good starting point. Her rent in downtown San Diego is 1600 and in NYC no need for the car. She was fine with 65K in San D so I believe it will work in NYC. She said she will look at Queens. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2022, 07:19 AM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Yes, in general NYC as a whole has not been too safe lately. I love my quiet NJ suburbs more and more each day. Your daughter may be much better off living in the NJ suburbs of NYC and commuting to work. It may still save her money, although rents here in NJ have been skyrocketing too.

Safety is completely relative to the person.

For example: What is safe for a nervous mother of 2 young kids in New Jersey, may not be the same safe for a single woman starting her career in Manhattan, who has lived abroad and is independent.

NYC is a huge city of 8.8 million people. With that, comes a risk. Also, sitting in a small town that is quiet, comes with a risk--as nutty as that sounds.

You've gotta do what makes sense for you, and makes you comfortable and happy, at the end of the day.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:32 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Safety is completely relative to the person.

Also, sitting in a small town that is quiet, comes with a risk--as nutty as that sounds.

You've gotta do what makes sense for you, and makes you comfortable and happy, at the end of the day.
Not nutty at all. I wouldn't necessarily consider a "quiet, small town" safe. I watch too many true crime shows on the ID channel to know crime and violent, awful crime can happen anywhere. I like the anonymity and the independence that a more urban environment provides (with the caveat that you have the means to live in an area that's relatively "safe") where no one's all up in your face wanting to know your business & judging you for it.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:46 AM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Not nutty at all. I wouldn't necessarily consider a "quiet, small town" safe. I watch too many true crime shows on the ID channel to know crime and violent, awful crime can happen anywhere. I like the anonymity and the independence that a more urban environment provides (with the caveat that you have the means to live in an area that's relatively "safe") where no one's all up in your face wanting to know your business & judging you for it.
Yeah, 100% agree here.

Brutal crimes can happen anywhere, anytime. Sometimes small, quiet towns are more ideal for criminals to do their thing, sadly.

In my opinion, a busy crowded city like NYC is the best place to be for safety, in general.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:24 AM

100 posts, read 89,583 times
I suggest living near work so she can avoid needing to commute. If she has 5 days in office the subway is about 130 dollars a month. If you do some work you can find deals in the LES. The main danger there is getting fat.

Old 01-20-2022, 01:26 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
I can attest that the real danger in the LES and not having to commute is getting fat. Have been using Huel to hopefully not go into the 160s...

Old 01-22-2022, 06:16 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya97 View Post
Thanks! Is south-central Harlem safe for a single 25 year old?

No, not in my opinion.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:29 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
No, not in my opinion.
You need street smarts everywhere KK. Don't let them okie-doke you. People buy/rent where they can afford.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City