Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 03:19 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,283,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
The PBA asked her to say this bs.
Look. Bragg just reinforced that he IS NOT PROCESSING low quality of life crimes, which they've been doing for almost 5 years now. So for Luzuriaga to condemn him for that, was WRONG. You want PD to be steered in a different direction? You want tougher laws for those who killed your husband? Have a seat with your mayor, and governor to change these laws. HELLO?!?!?!
You want to see the city burn because you're at the bottom rung here?
Why not just move? Is it because you're happy to take taxpayer dollars to survive here but funny want it too nice for others to enjoy it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 05:29 AM

30,746 posts, read 18,427,857 times
Quote:
The PBA asked her to say this bs.
Look. Bragg just reinforced that he IS NOT PROCESSING low quality of life crimes, which they've been doing for almost 5 years now. So for Luzuriaga to condemn him for that, was WRONG. You want PD to be steered in a different direction? You want tougher laws for those who killed your husband? Have a seat with your mayor, and governor to change these laws. HELLO?!?!?!
No, the issue is bigger than just refusing to prosecute certain low quality of life crimes. The issue is also with Bragg intentionally choosing to not prosecute actual violent felonies as, well, felonies so long as the "right" kind of weapon is used and nobody is hurt. But all that does is ensure that criminals who have already displayed a propensity for violence are free to roam the streets and violent offend again, the next time perhaps actually physically harming someone.

As I wrote in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
What DA Bragg said to try to placate our fears:

Quote:
“In practical terms that means: I’ve prosecuted gun cases and if you use a gun to rob a store, you will be prosecuted as a felony. I’ve prosecuted cases involving assaulting law enforcement, and if you punch a police officer, you will also be prosecuted as a felony,” he said. “But if you are houseless with an addiction problem and you steal toothpaste and some bread, you will be diverted for treatment to help break the cycle of recidivism.”
https://nypost.com/2022/01/05/nyc-sh...ncrease-crime/

What is actually happening:

Quote:
Investigators say another armed robbery case in Manhattan has been reduced to a charge of shoplifting by the new Manhattan district attorney.

Investigators say this time it was a suspect who wielded a pocketknife while stealing about $2,000 worth of cold medicine from a Duane Reade along Delancey Street in Lower Manhattan over the weekend. Video from inside the store shows the manager who was allegedly threatened by the suspect.

Police arrested 43-year-old William Rolon, saying it was the second time he hit the store — and his 39th arrest overall. But instead of charging Rolon with robbery, sources said prosecutors dropped the charges to petit larceny – a misdemeanor – even though the manager told police she was terrified.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...urces/3491736/

The fact that someone wasn't hurt should not be the determining factor of whether someone faces a felony charge. The fact that someone uses a knife vs. a gun to commit a crime should not be the determining factor of whether someone faces a felony charge. This William Rolon is an example of someone who should be locked away for a long time. The good people of NYC should not have to put up with his crap.
Armed robbery is not a quality of life crime. Yet, he still chooses to charge such cases as misdemeanors. This is a slap on the wrist and a joke that is making all of us less safe. But, leave it to people like Bragg, who have armed security details and are relatively free of worry from such crime to do crap like this

Old 01-29-2022, 05:31 AM

19,106 posts, read 14,096,760 times
Ever notice that leftists can flap all they want - since the media is on their side - but when something like this happens the person is at best "misguided", at worst a white supremacist (or whatever the label du jour is)?

The solution is for cops to stand down. Stop rushing to domestic violence calls. The people want disorder, let them have it. Let them wallow in it until they are prepared to vote properly. This dichotomy between the cops being required to work while the public votes against them needs to stop.

Get with the program officers. THEY. DON'T. WANT. YOU. TO. WORK. THEY. LOVE. PERPS.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-29-2022, 05:32 AM

19,106 posts, read 14,096,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
No, the issue is bigger than just refusing to prosecute certain low quality of life crimes. The issue is also with Bragg intentionally choosing to not prosecute actual violent felonies as, well, felonies so long as the "right" kind of weapon is used and nobody is hurt. But all that does is ensure that criminals who have already displayed a propensity for violence are free to roam the streets and violent offend again, the next time perhaps actually physically harming someone.
They don't care dude. They support perps.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-29-2022, 09:12 AM

17 posts, read 6,312 times
The wife had a beautiful speech that was a tear jerker but after her they should have just had the church staff take the lead.

I saw the photograph of Leticia James walking into the cathedral and she is so wicked looking. She had no business there. She is such a mean evil witch on so many levels. Then other wicked looking figures arrived on the podium: Mayor Adams and the new cop leader woman grandstanded and turned it into their usual agenda.

Old 01-29-2022, 09:39 AM

30,746 posts, read 18,427,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintercrush View Post
The wife had a beautiful speech that was a tear jerker but after her they should have just had the church staff take the lead.

I saw the photograph of Leticia James walking into the cathedral and she is so wicked looking. She had no business there. She is such a mean evil witch on so many levels. Then other wicked looking figures arrived on the podium: Mayor Adams and the new cop leader woman grandstanded and turned it into their usual agenda.
I always like to tell people that Leticia James, back when she was my home district city councilwoman (district 35!) almost killed me when I was crossing the street at Atlantic and Washington I did campaign against her when she ran for office, but, alas, she was elected.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:08 PM

2,450 posts, read 980,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...324-story.html

Dominique Luzuriaga, the widow of the fallen police officer Jason Rivera, directly called out Alvin Bragg for his radical criminal coddling.

“I know you were tired of these laws, especially the ones from the new DA.”

“I hope he’s watching you speak through me right now,” she continued, clearly speaking to Bragg as he sat in a pew just a few yards away.

Thank you, Dominique, for saying to fat Alvin's face exactly what we are all thinking. I hope that POS felt singled out.
Moving forward I hope the city doesn't give her a hard time about collecting benefits and other entitlements. She just called out Bragg and other politicians and embarrassed them nationally. They don't like that and will respond in petty passive-aggressive ways. However, kudos to her for saying what needed to be said and what should be said on a regular basis until real change happens.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:11 PM

2,450 posts, read 980,148 times
Quote:
He cannot "rewrite the laws" without the approval of the Legislature. HELLO?!?!?!
The laws are already on the books. He is using prosecutional discretion in not enforcing them.

Old 01-29-2022, 01:03 PM

13,684 posts, read 20,841,479 times
I guess it begs the question.

Why did the citizens of Manhattan- many of whom are highly educated and reputedly sophisticated- vote for someone like Alvin Bragg?

Really, I would like to know.

Have they never been mugged? Have they not noticed that an absence of law enforcement leads to bad places? Does magical thinking enable them to believe that releasing violent felons is a good thing? Do they get off on cops being shot?

Old 01-29-2022, 06:24 PM

621 posts, read 244,406 times
Kudos to the wife. Very touching speech. Glad she called out Bragg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: