Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 01:05 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Good for them. Employees get to live another day. It would be stupid to risk your life for some beef.
Facts. Listening to NY1, an employee at CVS got slashed in the hand after trying to stop a shoplifter from stealing $200 worth of merchandise. Sigh. Something has to be done. Or we will all suffer from stores closing. I won't suffer as much because I do 90% of my shopping via Amazon. But it will be tough on people who actually rely on these stores (older folks).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 01:41 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post

Where’s the beef? Video shows man stealing 10 steaks from NYC Trader Joe’s

The suspect — now wanted by cops — was at the grocery store’s East 14th Street location around 8:30 a.m. when he was caught on footage strolling out the door with 10 packages of meat piled up in his arms.

Two helpless Trader Joe’s staffers had followed the man up an escalator leading to the store’s exit but only stopped him from taking a shopping basket outside – not the meat, the video shows.

https://nypost.com/2022/02/08/video-...c-trader-joes/
First off, the guy stealing these steaks is either an absolute idiot, or criminal who thinks he's above getting caught.

Second, no employee should interfere with this, because why would they? Not their job to police theft. And if it is, they need much higher pay.

A $15/hour-ish clerk/casher/stocking job does not include policing shoplifters. Ridiculous to think they should be responsible for this.

Old 02-09-2022, 01:57 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
He's a troll. It's sad that a mod uses their position to troll but what can you do. Best to ignore.
7th never abuses his mod powers. He doesn't agree with anything I say but he has never used his mod powers negatively. The LI forum on the other hand, the mod is an anti asian fascist and loves deleting every other post I make (Nancy the Nazi).

Old 02-09-2022, 02:09 PM

6,671 posts, read 2,975,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Could be. Did you happen to notice in the article that many stolen goods are being re-sold to bodegas? I wonder how prolific the shoplifting would be if the bodegas didnt buy the stolen goods.
I do agree Bodegas should be held responsible for buying illegal goods, but this is just food. What about all the other type of merchandise?

But the guy doing the stealing holds all responsibility for the stealing.

Old 02-09-2022, 02:55 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
First off, the guy stealing these steaks is either an absolute idiot, or criminal who thinks he's above getting caught.

Second, no employee should interfere with this, because why would they? Not their job to police theft. And if it is, they need much higher pay.

A $15/hour-ish clerk/casher/stocking job does not include policing shoplifters. Ridiculous to think they should be responsible for this.
I wouldn't be surprised if someone paid him to do it

I honestly think most of this "new crime" is artificially manufactured

Who walks in to steal that many steaks with no bag

Like forget about the stealing part, why hold all that in your hands? Lol.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-09-2022, 02:58 PM

6,671 posts, read 2,975,051 times
Quote:
Well,...he 'did' try to steal the basket too,..but that's where the staffers drew the line

Old 02-09-2022, 03:00 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
mmm-mmm-mmm

Old 02-09-2022, 03:02 PM

206 posts, read 116,747 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if someone paid him to do it

I honestly think most of this "new crime" is artificially manufactured

Like forget about the stealing part, why hold all that in your hands? Lol.

He tried to steal a big garbage bag from a street sweeper after leaving the store.

I think this particular thief didn't think far ahead regarding bagging but knew he could get lots of free stuff and took advantage.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:05 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
OP why are you making a dumb statement like "Staff does NOTHING "? What do you want them to do? I thought you were smarter than that.
I've seen staff at lower class stores stop and get people for lifting their merchandise

I see you're not familiar with the "Wall of Shame" where they stop em, take pictures with whatever the thief attempted to steal, and put em on a wall for all to see

They did NOTHING. let him walk outta the store with steaks in tow

My sources tell me that this happened AGAIN, today at the Downtown Brooklyn location. Said the guy ran up the stairs and bailed. Don't know what the person took, and again, nothing was done

Old 02-09-2022, 03:07 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,222,031 times
Quote:
Only reason we're "seeing it now" is because cameras are everywhere (phones, affixed to buildings, etc). Most of you simply didn't realize it due to this fact. Meh.
It is true that camera phones and the increased prevalence of security cameras are making us more aware of things that have been happening for years.

However, the level of brazenness of these types of shoplifters is something that has emerged on a new level since the pandemic had begun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City