Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2022, 04:34 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times

Advertisements

We are experiencing a New way of Life in America.
Delays on everything will be the new normal for years to come.

If you can get your hands on an approved door and have it installed then do so.

You'll thank me later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 01:04 PM

8 posts, read 4,220 times
Thanks everyone for your input. Totally appreciated.

Esacni - it's in Jackson Heights, Queens. I actually love the neighborhood, just hate my neighbors, co-op board, and management company.

90sSitcom - the door is still on the hinges and it can be opened, with a good amount of force. The deadbolt is pretty messed up. If you try to use it to lock the door, it makes it REALLY hard to unlock. My partner accidentally locked it and it took him 20 minutes to unlock/unstick the door... It takes even more force than what's needed to open it. Not a good look for an apartment being sold.

BBMW - I get the sense that withholding maintenance without any kind of legal safety net (or a ton of $$$) will backfire, based on how poorly management has handled previous noise complaints. They said it's MY fault that the downstairs neighbor's music was too loud, so.

nightcrawler - thanks, fixing the door myself is probably the best way to put this all behind me... but management may not let me replace the door on my own, or more likely, they'll take months to approve it, make me pay some sort of deposit on top of everything, and then not reimburse me. They are greedy idiots like most management companies. I suppose I might as well ask them if that's possible though. Stay tuned?

Old 02-10-2022, 01:08 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
OP, you need to talk to your Board and have them light some fire (no pun intended) under management's butts. It is not in the financial interest of the co-op to delay a sale simply because of a malfunctioning front door. The Shareholders are the reason the management company is getting a paycheck.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-12-2022, 11:41 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
My husband had to replace his mother's coop door and it took FOREVER. More than six months, that's for sure. But we still sold the apartment and the buyers were told the door would be replaced. Obviously no one was paying maintenance on the apartment for over a year (she was deceased) and it didn't "rush" things along.

My sister was replacing the doors in her house and she had to wait five months because they were backordered. It's possible that they are actually backordered, and they don't know what else to tell you.

Good luck. I know how much of a pain it is.

Old 02-12-2022, 08:07 PM

870 posts, read 413,188 times
Go to Queens Housing Court, file a complaint, it falls into Housing Court issues.

Old 02-12-2022, 08:25 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
Go to Queens Housing Court, file a complaint, it falls into Housing Court issues.
Coops are immune to courts for the most part.

Old 02-13-2022, 06:55 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
This is so terribly sad, partly because my impression is that you didn't handle things well. If you had collected neighbors to join your battle, kept a log, and complained in writing, that might have gotten your problem solved.

I can't tell you whether you can sue. Well, technically anyone "can" sue. The question is whether there is any point to it. Can you sue over their refusing to give you a timetable for the door? I doubt it, and it seems like a minor problem. But even now, I'm not sure whether you've tried pinning them down in writing, and asking for speciifics. That might help. However, since this is potentially a safety issue, you can try siccing the government on them. What about the good ol' "warrant of habitability"? I wonder whether, if you can show that they are making it unsafe and unlivable, they should put in a temporary door and refund the months of maintenance.

Bood luck. Sorry that it worked out so badly for you.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:38 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Yes,

A temporary door, regardless of mismatch seems like a reasonable request and then you won't give a tinker's damn HOW long it takes for them to improve the looks of the place with a matching door.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:27 AM

2,328 posts, read 1,026,428 times
Sue the co-op board members in small claims court. You won't need a process server (can just send in via mail) and in NYC your claim is good up to $10k. They will likely not make an appearance and you can claim a default judgment. The statutory interest in NY is 8% which you can use to apply against their bank account or even business license - which can be suspended if they do not pay.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:18 AM

8 posts, read 4,220 times
Wow, thank you all. I did not expect everyone to be so helpful.

Just to follow up - I haven't reached out to the management company yet about fixing the door myself. Before management started ignoring my emails completely, the assistant manager was CCing the building super about the doors, as the super was the one saying the doors were backordered.

Today, my partner texted the super about the doors. The super responded saying he is "not really sure" if management has ordered them yet. But, in all the past emails, management was making it seem like it's the super's job to place the order.

I can't tell if they are all playing some sort of game, or if they are the dumbest and most irresponsible building management company in NYC.

At least I have all of this in writing - it does show a stupendous amount of ineptitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City