Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 11:05 AM

5,904 posts, read 3,030,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LES-Adrian View Post
You could change the articles title to About 200 Years Now of Getting Freebies in Chinatown And With More To Come (Chinese are Getting Pissed Because They Dont Get Enough Free Stuff in NYC)
At least they work and dont shoot. Ill take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 05:27 PM

212 posts, read 106,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LES-Adrian View Post
You could change the articles title to About 200 Years Now of Getting Freebies in Chinatown And With More To Come (Chinese are Getting Pissed Because They Dont Get Enough Free Stuff in NYC)
taking advantage of the free stuff to better themselves is something that the black community should be doing, but instead they're just content being bottom of the barrel.

Old 02-16-2022, 05:46 PM

6,852 posts, read 3,088,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
At least they work and dont shoot. Ill take it.
Ha,.this is true.

And I bet many posters would rather they 'stay' in Chinatowns and not inundate their areas despite complaining that they do stay in their bubble.

I'd say violent crime is a bigger fish to fry before we worry about running out of noodles. It's tough out there for a ton of people.

Old 02-16-2022, 05:49 PM

162 posts, read 71,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydings View Post
taking advantage of the free stuff to better themselves is something that the black community should be doing, but instead they're just content being bottom of the barrel.
I would normally respond to a comment like this in such a manner I would be called the likes of my username - but today, I will just frown.

Old 02-16-2022, 07:01 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,135,469 times
Chinatown needs a makeover. The storefronts are ugly. The restaurants are antiqued inside. Some parts have a horrid smell due to fish and meat, etc.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:52 PM

2,450 posts, read 980,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
I havent been to China town since late 90s. As a youngster I would crawl about checking out Audio gear. Since then ive driven by but never stopped. It was always a filthy place filled with too many people.

So are they waiting for tourists to come back or what is it? Uptick in sales of counterfeit goods?
I was in China Town the other day to help out with some Valentine's Day donations project to the Police preicent on Elizabeth Street. I think it's the 55. There are a lot of shuttered store-fronts, but the area itself is still packed to the gills. I was shocked that I found a spot on Pell Street. I still had to walk several blocks. It's not like I was all alone, the streets were lined with people and open store-fronts. I had the opportunity to buy several Rolex watches and Gucci handbags at a very reasonable price, but declined to do so.

Old 02-17-2022, 02:02 PM

84 posts, read 28,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Chinatown needs a makeover. The storefronts are ugly. The restaurants are antiqued inside. Some parts have a horrid smell due to fish and meat, etc.
That smell is part of Chinese cities. The meaning of Hong Kong is stinky harbor. They like that fish funk smell. In the USA we think something is wrong with the smell but Chinese think it’s great.

I think the shuttered storefronts is nothing to be alarmed about. This is only my one opinion but I think the Chinese completely over reacted about Covid. They probably outright own most of the Chinatown buildings. They can set up new shops quickly. But like others pointed out, the Chinese there are relatively stupid about how they treat tourists or anybody who is not Chinese, they chase them away with an unusual meanness that comes out of nowhere really.

The Chinese are not poor anymore okay? I would not give them a red cent probably was derived from Chinese who were acting poor while they have millions hidden under their mattresses.

One Chinese woman I know who is here illegally but speaks passable English refers to me as “a foreigner” in NYC. They basically think anyone who is not Chinese does not belong here. It is an attitude that is coming from the Mainland I am pretty sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City