Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 05:42 AM

154 posts, read 116,009 times

Advertisements

More of these white women oughta go volunteer in Ukraine. Fearless I tells ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2022, 05:45 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,259,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ycomoque View Post
More of these white women oughta go volunteer in Ukraine. Fearless I tells ya!
Not fearless just foolish, desperate, and single. They want to live in NYC but have limited funds and are single. If they had money, a dual income household, and /or kids, they wouldn't be living in Cypress Hills.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:48 PM

21 posts, read 20,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Transplants should not give advice on neighborhood safety in NYC. If you have a take a cab/uber from the train if you're coming home late, then the neighborhood isn't safe.

If you had the money to live elsewhere, Cypress Hills wouldn't even make the top 50.
Cool it’s also about being able to make music, so finding a space to do that is a little hard

Old 03-30-2022, 10:38 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvetmind View Post
Cool it’s also about being able to make music, so finding a space to do that is a little hard
Ignore him, he's never lived in that neighborhood and likely has little knowledge and zero experience of the area. Trying to make a point that if money weren't a factor in a topic that's about renting in NYC would usually be outrageously stupid, but it's about on par for what to expect from him so most posters here don't even bat an eye at it. You seem to be new to this forum, so I thought that bit of context would help.

You're likely to receive better, more accurate advice from people who actually do know the area and know you which is why your friends that are already in the area are a better barometer of how you'll do there.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-30-2022 at 10:49 PM..

Old 03-30-2022, 11:40 PM

1,052 posts, read 452,369 times
I'll repeat some of what others have already said, but as someone who's lived around Woodhaven before I would definitely recommend Woodhaven over Cypress Hills any day from a safety/convenience perspective. Yes, it is a few stations further out on the J, BUT it is also closer to the E at Sutphin on the Archer Avenue lines, which makes for a much faster commute into Manhattan. Most people taking the J east of around Broadway Junction find it faster to take the J to Sutphin and transfer to the E, especially if they're not going into downtown.

Woodhaven does vary quite a bit, I think you will definitely prefer areas NORTH of Jamaica Avenue more as they more closely resemble that Cypress Hills/Bushwick/Ridgewood feel I can tell you are going after. As an added pro, they are also nicer, closer to the park and reasonably safer than South of Jamaica Ave. But, don't stress if you find something nice one or two blocks south of Jamaica. As long as you stay east of ~85th St, anything will be safer than Cypress Hills. And as was mentioned, there are pharmacies/supermarkets/produce stores right along Jamaica Ave in that area, which is far more convenient than Cypress Hills.

If you haven't already, I would urge you to check out Woodhaven for yourself and see that it really does resemble Cypress Hills/Bushwick/Ridgewood. If I were a young white artist with a tendency to be out late and return home from work at odd hours (as OP mentioned), I wouldn't take the risk with Cypress Hills.

Old 03-31-2022, 03:55 AM

5,813 posts, read 2,940,694 times
Friend inherited a house on 81st off Jamaica. Big spread. After living there for a few years he moved swiftly as kids started approaching school years. His words were, “ dude, Franklin high school has SWAT team around it during school hours. “

Old 03-31-2022, 06:06 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,259,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Ignore him, he's never lived in that neighborhood and likely has little knowledge and zero experience of the area. Trying to make a point that if money weren't a factor in a topic that's about renting in NYC would usually be outrageously stupid, but it's about on par for what to expect from him so most posters here don't even bat an eye at it. You seem to be new to this forum, so I thought that bit of context would help.

You're likely to receive better, more accurate advice from people who actually do know the area and know you which is why your friends that are already in the area are a better barometer of how you'll do there.
Still salty that I exposed you and your entire "MTA is a great organization" narrative and then " electric generated heat is cheaper than Nat gas" argument?

Now one has to live in a neighborhood to comment whether it's a ****ty neighborhood or not? Hilarious.

Old 03-31-2022, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Friend inherited a house on 81st off Jamaica. Big spread. After living there for a few years he moved swiftly as kids started approaching school years. His words were, “ dude, Franklin high school has SWAT team around it during school hours. “
I guess the warning is that a good deal isn't always a good deal, but how long ago was this? For the OP, this poster's talking about neighboring Woodhaven, but some of it is applicable to Cypress Hills.

Franklin High School essentially stopped existing about a decade ago way back in 2012 and a decade can mean quite a bit of change in a neighborhood, so was this more than a decade ago? Several things possibly related have shifted a bit over the last couple decades as the hispanic population of the area while still heavily Caribbean Spanish has shifted a bit more towards Mexican and Ecuadorian/Peruvian, there's been a notable bump of South Asians in the area especially Bangladeshi it seems, there's been more often white transplants in the area though that's more Cypress Hills, the areas east along the J train (and L with the transfer at ENY) and neighboring Bushwick (and Bed-Stuy and transfer to A/C) have gone way up in terms of market rate rents and purchase, there are a lot venues/jobs/nightlife/restaurants/amenities that are desirable in North Brooklyn including nightlife/music venues OP might be interested in that are now deep in Bushwick and so now there are people looking at travel times to those places rather than just travel times to the city. Also, OP does not have school age kids. That's generally played a large part in gentrification as it doesn't usually start with homeowners from outside the neighborhood with school age kids. By that point, that neighborhood's probably well done or at least at a solid medium. A few years ago but not over a decade ago, at the fairly incessant push of in-laws, we were looking at investment properties in places including the northern parts of Cypress Hills, and it seemed like a pretty good investment given what the trajectory had been over the decade prior to that. I do/did a lot of research on then present and near-ish term historic property value and demographic data for this and other neighborhoods and looked at what stores/eateries have been popping up over the last decade or so along with any other data I thought was relevant which is, you know, not that crazy for someone who's on a site named city-data. Also did a lot of in person tours and looked around this and other neighborhoods and got to visit Neir's Tavern in Woodhaven after one of those open houses--supposedly one of the oldest still operating bars in the country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Still salty that I exposed you and your entire "MTA is a great organization" narrative and then " electric generated heat is cheaper than Nat gas" argument?

Now one has to live in a neighborhood to comment whether it's a ****ty neighborhood or not? Hilarious.

Never said that MTA is a great organization. I've never thought they were a great organization and I still don't think they're a great organization--I have pointed out things you've said in regards to mass transit or MTA are inaccurate, useless or stupid though which somehow you've continuously conflated with saying MTA is a great organization. Can't really expect better than that, so I don't. You still couldn't tell the difference between a heat pump and an electric resistance heater in the topic you're referencing, and so there's probably a good chance you still don't get it now. I'm not going to teach you, but hopefully other people saw the arguments there and realized that you still had no idea what you're talking about. The crazy thing is that when it comes to technical things rooted in physics and engineering, there are actual accurate and demonstrably true answers. You, being not STEMS-inclined or capable, don't seem to realize that other people can be and so you bloviate your way through those as you would any topic which makes me pretty disinclined to believe anything you say. Not salty, just disappointed this kind and level of stupidity exists.

Also didn't say someone has to live in a neighborhood to comment on whether it's ****ty or not. I think someone who has some knowledge and actual experience of the neighborhood currently should have their opinion weighted more heavily than someone who doesn't. This also holds true for someone who knows the OP and is familiar with what the OP is comfortable with and habits are like. I'll stand by those comments and you probably believe similar. I'll also stand by the comment that telling the OP that if money weren't an issue blah blah blah when the OP specifically mentioned money versus proximity to other areas they cannot afford and enough space to do something important to them is pretty stupid.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-31-2022 at 08:33 AM..

Old 03-31-2022, 07:41 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,029,788 times
Demographics matter. Mexican/Peruvian/Central Americans are too busy working 16 hour days in the restaurant or construction industry to find time to commit violent felonies. They may be committing other crimes related to immigration law but that is not something which will result in immediate harm to your physical body. Meanwhile, the previous inhabitants are too busy staying on welfare and trying to murder each other b/c someone "disrespected" them by giving a side glance on the street.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:01 AM

want to note that I previously wrote "east along the J train" when I mean west along the J train in reply to Dave, though to be honest, I'm pretty sure basically all neighborhoods along the J train have increased in property value from over a decade or two ago. I'd be curious if there are any neighborhoods in NYC on average that have overall decreased in property value since the turn of the century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Demographics matter. Mexican/Peruvian/Central Americans are too busy working 16 hour days in the restaurant or construction industry to find time to commit violent felonies. They may be committing other crimes related to immigration law but that is not something which will result in immediate harm to your physical body. Meanwhile, the previous inhabitants are too busy staying on welfare and trying to murder each other b/c someone "disrespected" them by giving a side glance on the street.
Yea, that matters to varying extents. I feel like there's also sometimes significant differences among people who are ostensibly of the same ethnicity/descent but are different between those who have been here for more than a generation and those who came here fairly recently.

Also, will add that Mexican, and to a lesser extent Peruvian, are the best cuisines of the Americas to me and among the finest in the world, so there's actually a point to opening a Mexican restaurant. Yes, of course, that's an exaggeration and this is my personal preference so I'm kidding. Kind of. I do like a chimi as an after club drunk food though now in my 30s thinking about what I used to do routinely gives me phantom indigestion pains.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-31-2022 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City