Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 03:20 PM

204 posts, read 97,456 times

Advertisements

i'll never understand why transplants don't move to southern brooklyn for cheaper rent and generally safer neighborhoods in exchange for maybe a longer commute to manhattan instead of these dodgy neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 03:32 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,028,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
want to note that I previously wrote "east along the J train" when I mean west along the J train in reply to Dave, though to be honest, I'm pretty sure basically all neighborhoods along the J train have increased in property value from over a decade or two ago. I'd be curious if there are any neighborhoods in NYC on average that have overall decreased in property value since the turn of the century.

Yea, that matters to varying extents. I feel like there's also sometimes significant differences among people who are ostensibly of the same ethnicity/descent but are different between those who have been here for more than a generation and those who came here fairly recently.

Also, will add that Mexican, and to a lesser extent Peruvian, are the best cuisines of the Americas to me and among the finest in the world, so there's actually a point to opening a Mexican restaurant. Yes, of course, that's an exaggeration and this is my personal preference so I'm kidding. Kind of. I do like a chimi as an after club drunk food though now in my 30s thinking about what I used to do routinely gives me phantom indigestion pains.
Yea, when I think of Mexicans, I think of those 4'10" skinny men on bicycles delivering food in all weather or their similarly short women in the worst parts of the NYC subway system selling cut mangos and churros in plastic bags. The women will have their kids with them and it is a wonder they are not attacked more often by NYC's more violent animal life forms. Sometimes I will buy food to support their business. It's money better spent than some aggressive teen saying he needs money to do Showtime routines in the subway.

Old 03-31-2022, 03:45 PM

8,359 posts, read 4,377,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Can anybody offer OP cheap and safe neighborhoods in NYC where she can practice her music and not have a roommate? I'll wait.

Well, obviously I can, but then people will start pelting me with eggs again for bringing up the unmentionable condo complex in the Bronx .

Old 03-31-2022, 04:08 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydings View Post
i'll never understand why transplants don't move to southern brooklyn for cheaper rent and generally safer neighborhoods in exchange for maybe a longer commute to manhattan instead of these dodgy neighborhoods.
Because a lot of them aren't really factoring commute to Manhattan for the price anymore, they're instead looking for shorter trips to North Brooklyn-ish like Williamsburg, Bushwick and now Ridgewood in Queens as well for the price. Make the Triboro RX or some form of it and maybe they will start looking at southern Brooklyn more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Yea, when I think of Mexicans, I think of those 4'10" skinny men on bicycles delivering food in all weather or their similarly short women in the worst parts of the NYC subway system selling cut mangos and churros in plastic bags. The women will have their kids with them and it is a wonder they are not attacked more often by NYC's more violent animal life forms. Sometimes I will buy food to support their business. It's money better spent than some aggressive teen saying he needs money to do Showtime routines in the subway.
Yea, I generally like these people. I'm slightly above average height, but I tower over a lot of these more indigenous-y Mexican and Andean folk and I like that a lot of them wear colorful clothes especially the Andean ladies with the cool hats. I want to hold them.

I have a friend who teaches young kids out there and has a really favorable opinion of these people, too. Thinks the kids are really bright and inquisitive and generally just noticeably "warmer" and considerate compared to other kids.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-31-2022 at 04:42 PM..

Old 03-31-2022, 06:16 PM

34,059 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Well, obviously I can, but then people will start pelting me with eggs again for bringing up the unmentionable condo complex in the Bronx .
Parkchester will tolerate musicians?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-31-2022, 07:13 PM

8,359 posts, read 4,377,807 times
Quote:
Parkchester will tolerate musicians?

Why not? If the instrument is electrical (as it probably is), she would need the earphones. If it is a guitar, they have micro-amps without speakers, just a plug for the earphones, so only she would hear what she is playing. I assume most other instruments have something similar (though drums could be a problem). Isn't Scatman, another occasional Parkchester contributor to this forum, a musician?

Old 03-31-2022, 07:26 PM

34,059 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Why not? If the instrument is electrical (as it probably is), she would need the earphones. If it is a guitar, they have micro-amps without speakers, just a plug for the earphones, so only she would hear what she is playing. I assume most other instruments have something similar (though drums could be a problem). Isn't Scatman, another occasional Parkchester contributor to this forum, a musician?
Thats assuming the instrument is electronic. OP would have to clarify.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-31-2022, 07:33 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,258,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydings View Post
It's psychological and the RE industry in NYC knows how to play these people to a T.

How do you think transplants even get a sense of where to live? Via media and word of mouth (from other transplants).

All of the major RE media outlets in NYC are bought and paid for by the RE industry. The NYT RE section is practically a daily advertisement of this.

Old 03-31-2022, 10:47 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,028,603 times
Southern Brooklyn is full of transplants. . . from the former USSR. Vadim, Artyom, and Anastasia don't exactly make the neighborhood inviting to non-Russian speakers. They can be a very insular community w/their own tribal conflicts and grudges from the old country.

Old 03-31-2022, 11:37 PM

21 posts, read 20,583 times
Quote:
Thats assuming the instrument is electronic. OP would have to clarify.
Electronic, mostly and guitar and vocals. Was searching for places I can live where I can be more free with sound
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City