Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 09:00 AM

21 posts, read 20,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoppressedracist View Post
Well duh! You think someone who values their life or could actually afford market rate value apartments would state let me move to Brownsville, ENY, Cypress Hills or areas in Crown Heights or Bedstuy?

No one is debating life expectancy is lower in the ghetto, that’s why people who want to do better - and can LEAVE.

I just spoke of personally knowing Whites/Asians who live in said areas that aren’t targeted - not on drugs, etc. just taking their chances residing there.

Brownsville was just an example considering it’s history.

In Crown Heights there’s a restaurant called Mayfield which I adored unfortunately in August a woman was shot dead across the street, few shootings in September - then again in November two people were shot. You’d see crackheads roaming the streets with their shopping carts or strung out on the corner. Yet, White people are flocking to the area because it’s “trendy” and I question their reasoning and I’m not White.
I value my life a lot. People move to places where they can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2022, 09:02 AM

19,067 posts, read 13,999,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvetmind View Post
You’re not though. You’re choosing it for convenience to other things.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-19-2022, 09:08 AM

34,126 posts, read 47,356,745 times
Quote:
Let us know if you decide to take the apartment. Check back with us in a few months and keep us updated.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-19-2022, 09:09 AM

162 posts, read 70,766 times
Quote:
People can afford Brownsville but choose NOT to live there for aforementioned reasons.

I think you’re more concerned with convenience rather than quality of life.

Old 02-19-2022, 09:17 AM

21 posts, read 20,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoppressedracist View Post
People can afford Brownsville but choose NOT to live there for aforementioned reasons.

I think you’re more concerned with convenience rather than quality of life.
I’m not moving to Brownsville, and no I need to be able to focus on my music, that’s mainly why I’m choosing this place

Old 02-19-2022, 09:23 AM

162 posts, read 70,766 times
Quote:
I’m not moving to Brownsville, and no I need to be able to focus on my music, that’s mainly why I’m choosing this place
I know, it was just an example due to your response that “people move where they can afford”. People do but they ALSO consider other factors.

Best of luck with your music.

Old 02-19-2022, 11:01 AM

1,075 posts, read 552,376 times
Quote:
Hi,

I just scored a deal on a beautiful spot in Cypress Hills on Jamaica Ave, close to the Van Siclen stop. I am a musician and artist so the space is necessary for me. I’ve been living in NYC for 8 years and have lived in Bushwick, Bedstuy, Ridgewood, and east Williamsburg. A friend of a friend introduced me to this spot so I know it’s a legit deal, and the landlord seems very nice. A good friend of mine lives on Sunnyside Ave. It’s true I’m a young italian woman, so I know I’m going to potentially be a target in the neighborhood and I’m wondering about safety. I’ll be living alone for the first time. Obviously I would try my best not to walk the streets at night but I also am a little on edge about the neighborhood itself. Of course I know anything can happen anywhere and that street smarts are a must, but I’m wondering if you think it’s a bad idea to move there all together and if there are some areas around there that I should avoid wholeheartedly. A lot of my friends live off of the J a few stops down and a lot of the venues I frequent are in the vicinity which is also why I chose this neighborhood. I plan on being a part of the community and culture there as much as I can, learn to speak Spanish, but again I just have been reading that there are a ton of shootings that may happen in broad daylight/ muggings
Maybe reach out to this gallery. They are at 88 Pine St. https://www.nortemaar.org/
They've there for several years, like 7.

Here's an article
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/11/r...smid=url-share

Old 02-19-2022, 01:40 PM

16,139 posts, read 6,881,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Come on now, Brooklyn is huge and has a massive diversity of incredibly safe neighborhoods.

Safety, as we all know it, is incredibly relative to each individual, and varies wildly person to person.

What is completely safe to man/woman "A" may be terrifying to man/woman "B." It's all about your streets smarts, overall comfort level and where you like to live.

If anybody has to ask if Cypress Hills is safe ...............................

Old 02-19-2022, 08:04 PM

1,107 posts, read 554,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
If anybody has to ask if Cypress Hills is safe ...............................
Exactly. The OP knows this. That's why she asked the question in the first place, and that's why I suggested that she trust those instincts.

Old 02-19-2022, 08:15 PM

1,107 posts, read 554,101 times
Quote:
Sarcasm?

I’m closer to highland park. That part seems nice. I’m literally just moving here so I can have my own place to work on things and live close to my friends who are in bushwick off Halsey or Myrtle Broadway.
Coupled with the doubts that brought you here in the first place, I think you got enough answers now to give you a good idea of the neighborhood. You seem to be set in your reasons for wanting to be there, safety issues notwithstanding. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City