Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 07:57 AM

1,063 posts, read 554,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I live in Denver.

In NYC it's pretty impossible to not use the subway to get around.

We are traveling. Just not to NYC or Cancun
You can travel all over Manhattan by bus. It will take longer but you'll get to see the streets and the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 08:14 AM

22,413 posts, read 29,556,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
You can travel all over Manhattan by bus. It will take longer but you'll get to see the streets and the people.
Not interested in a bus service.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
What is a "bus service?" I am referring to the regular MTA buses. They are everywhere.
Here is the Manhattan bus map.

https://new.mta.info/map/5391

North/south they move decently.
East/west, faster to walk.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:03 AM

8,423 posts, read 4,447,439 times
Quote:

I have been in and out of NYC many times since June 2021, and have been using city buses (I agree that subway is to be avoided, but buses are fine - they are the same or safer than the city buses in Denver). Incidentally, why would a tourist need any transportation in Manhattan, considering that the island is pretty small and totally walkable, and you generally don't need to arrive anywhere on a strict schedule?

Old 02-28-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I have been in and out of NYC many times since June 2021, and have been using city buses (I agree that subway is to be avoided, but buses are fine - they are the same or safer than the city buses in Denver). Incidentally, why would a tourist need any transportation in Manhattan, considering that the island is pretty small and totally walkable, and you generally don't need to arrive anywhere on a strict schedule?
Well, midtown to the Wall Street area, or midtown to the Cloisters would be pretty long walks.

Old 02-28-2022, 10:12 AM

8,423 posts, read 4,447,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
Well, midtown to the Wall Street area, or midtown to the Cloisters would be pretty long walks.

I'd take transportation to Cloisters because I wouldn't want to walk through unsafe areas, but I routinely walk the whole length of Manhattan from 96th St to Battery (midtown to Wall St is nothing :-). And I am 62. I practically never take any transportation within Manhattan, only have to take express bus because I stay in the Bronx when I am in NYC, and occassionally a connecting express bus in Manhattan if I have walked all day and am still somewhere deeply downtown (the southernmost stop of my Bronx bus is E 23rd St).

Old 02-28-2022, 01:56 PM

475 posts, read 277,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Well hold one. NYC is not the main attraction. Plenty of other things to do away from cities.
Skiing, hiking, camping, horse back riding, exploring museums outside the city, historic areas.
You just have to drive a bit and explore this wonderful land. And once you get away from this urban toilet it gets a lot better and safer.

I was walking to Penn last week and head Sinatra's "New York New York" playing in Bryant Park. How pathetic and sad I thought. A song from half a century ago about a city that is well past its prime, still trying to sell a slice of Americana to a dumb tourist.
I'm pretty sure skiing is less safe than walking down the street in NYC.....

Old 02-28-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I'd take transportation to Cloisters because I wouldn't want to walk through unsafe areas, but I routinely walk the whole length of Manhattan from 96th St to Battery (midtown to Wall St is nothing :-). And I am 62. I practically never take any transportation within Manhattan, only have to take express bus because I stay in the Bronx when I am in NYC, and occassionally a connecting express bus in Manhattan if I have walked all day and am still somewhere deeply downtown (the southernmost stop of my Bronx bus is E 23rd St).
Most tourists come from land-of-drive-everywhere. They are not in shape for that.

Old 03-01-2022, 02:03 PM

22,413 posts, read 29,556,866 times
We do not want to ride buses. We walk most of the time. However, sometimes it's easier to get on the subway.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:01 PM

2,669 posts, read 1,262,968 times
Quote:
The bus is a nightmare. Especially cross-town busses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City