Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 07:49 AM

8,940 posts, read 4,785,354 times

Advertisements

I've never taken the G train in my whole life (I don't even know where it goes) but FYI to those who do.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sts_po-organic

The G train is getting a facelift that MTA officials say will increase the number of trains running on the line and reduce time in between stops.

Newer cars that began rolling out in November will allow the MTA to implement a new signal system to better track trains' locations and speed. Currently, the G train uses an older system that is unable to detect a train's location. The new signals will give the MTA exact location data along the full length of the line, allowing them to run trains more frequently, the MTA said.

"For too long, G riders have gotten the short end of the train and it's past time improvements came to the original Brooklyn-Queens line," said Lisa Daglian, executive director of the Permanent Citizens Advisory Committee to the MTA. "Having to do the G train run has become a way of life and the perception that it's not well-used can be debunked with a ride from any station, from Court Square to Church Avenue. We hope the MTA recognizes the growing needs along the G and is in fact making these improvements."

Prior to the pandemic, more than half of the G train stops saw increased ridership year over year, according to the MTA. Some stations, including Greenpoint Avenue and Nassau Avenue, grew weekday ridership by more than 5% between 2018 and 2019.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 08:23 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,041,652 times
That's because nearly all areas along that line have gentrified or are rapidly gentrifying in the past 10-15 years or so, so they're sprucing it up. The G in the past five years or so has already gotten markedly better. Before the past couple of years I could count on one hand the number of times I took it (rather go into Manhattan and take the L back into BK) but now I do take it several times a year when I need to get to Greenpoint/Williamsburg.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:32 AM

5,866 posts, read 2,983,107 times
Gentrification is a gift that keeps on giving.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:41 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,159,878 times
Has the G line been overcrowded lately while no other line has?

Old 02-22-2022, 09:39 AM

5,466 posts, read 5,725,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
That's because nearly all areas along that line have gentrified or are rapidly gentrifying in the past 10-15 years or so, so they're sprucing it up. The G in the past five years or so has already gotten markedly better. Before the past couple of years I could count on one hand the number of times I took it (rather go into Manhattan and take the L back into BK) but now I do take it several times a year when I need to get to Greenpoint/Williamsburg.
Even nowadays, the G train is surprisingly full compared to when I was taking it a few times a decade ago. Granted, it is a shorter train, but it is sure not riding around empty anymore. The ridership on that line has noticeably gone up.

Old 02-22-2022, 03:12 PM

43,759 posts, read 44,531,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Even nowadays, the G train is surprisingly full compared to when I was taking it a few times a decade ago. Granted, it is a shorter train, but it is sure not riding around empty anymore. The ridership on that line has noticeably gone up.
When you mention it is shorter are you referring to the fact that it doesn't go all the way to Forest Hills (as it is used to many years ago) or does the train have less cars than other routes?

Old 02-22-2022, 03:33 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,725,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
When you mention it is shorter are you referring to the fact that it doesn't go all the way to Forest Hills (as it is used to many years ago) or does the train have less cars than other routes?
Train has less cars.

Old 02-22-2022, 03:36 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Both

Old 02-23-2022, 06:42 AM

25,392 posts, read 37,139,204 times
I used the G-line only for infrequent visits to MOMA PS-1 (at Court Square) once a year before Covid.

Old 02-23-2022, 06:45 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,247,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Gentrification is a gift that keeps on giving.
Always better than ghetto-fication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City