Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 06:05 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,773,686 times

Advertisements

I can attest to that. It's ridiculous how the prices vary from hospital to hospital for the same procedure. And the difference between what the hospital charges and what the insurance are willing to pay. And you're stuck paying the difference. It's not going to change any time soon. I wonder how other countries deal with this.

https://gothamist.com/news/nyc-hospi...aw-took-effect

It’s no secret that health care prices are all over the place. For a patient with commercial insurance, the cost of a cesarean section can range from under $2,000 to more than $40,000 just within the borough of Manhattan. But typically, the full cost of a medical procedure comes to light only after the bill arrives.

For years, hospitals have shielded the rates they negotiate with insurers — making it harder to call out the hospitals with the highest price tags and the health plans that agree to them.

That was supposed to change last January, when federal price transparency regulations took effect requiring hospitals to post their once-secret rates online. But more than a year later, the vast majority of hospitals in the U.S. still are not fully complying with the law. Accessing the pricing information that they do provide often remains difficult for the average person, and a federal official confirmed that the government has not handed out a single fine for non-compliance, despite hundreds of hospitals being flagged.

A survey of 1,000 hospitals nationwide, conducted between December and January, found that only about 14% were in full compliance with the price transparency regulations — and none of the 12 hospitals analyzed in New York City and Long Island were among them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 07:32 PM

494 posts, read 558,332 times
Prices are crazy, they wanted to charge me $1000 for blood tests and a telephone call with my doctor. I would love for pricing to be transparent and given the opportunity to know the costs so I can pay in advance. Right now no one knows or will admit what they want to charge you, you just have to wait to get the bill. And their pricing is sometimes in a range so it is still a guess at what they will charge you. They can add a few Q-Tips and tac on hundreds of dollars. What a scam.

Old 02-23-2022, 10:05 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,667,809 times
For NYU Langone go here and then click Continue at the bottom of the page:
https://med.nyu.edu/standard-charges...andard-charges

Old 02-26-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
For NYU Langone go here and then click Continue at the bottom of the page:
https://med.nyu.edu/standard-charges...andard-charges

Hmm, cost estimator - general office visit between $110 - $2000. I don't know how that helps. ER visit between $100-$7000. Knowing the prices only works if they tell you before hand. Just to talk to a doctor will cost you x amount. Then the doctor can say they want to run which tests and why, which will cost you x amount. Do you accept or decline?

Old 02-28-2022, 02:05 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,715,581 times
Healthcare is one industry that can just straight up flaunt any market rules and government laws. No other industry can get away with this.

Imagine you go to a restaurant and they do not tell you prices, and then give you a bill only after you ate. And if you ask them before hand, they will just shrug and say the food is between $20 and $2,000...

All of these prices should not only be transparent but highly visible and easy to find. The staff should tell you the exact pricing of a procedure right away if asked. Also, there should be yelp for hospital procedures where people could rate or have some kind of statistics, which hospitals are good at what, especially for elective procedures such as births, etc. Make the hospitals compete and force to improve.

One area of healthcare that does follow rules is plastic surgery. And what do you see? Lots of competition, lots of advancement and improvements, and much more reasonable prices considering its usually not covered by any insurance.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:13 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,715,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrical View Post
Prices are crazy, they wanted to charge me $1000 for blood tests and a telephone call with my doctor. I would love for pricing to be transparent and given the opportunity to know the costs so I can pay in advance. Right now no one knows or will admit what they want to charge you, you just have to wait to get the bill. And their pricing is sometimes in a range so it is still a guess at what they will charge you. They can add a few Q-Tips and tac on hundreds of dollars. What a scam.
They charge $20 per pill of tylenol at the hospital, and a lot of people get it (because they do not know the price and the hospital doesn't tell them), but you can buy it for like $8 for a bottle across the street at a pharmacy.

Old 02-28-2022, 02:49 PM

1,250 posts, read 680,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
They charge $20 per pill of tylenol at the hospital, and a lot of people get it (because they do not know the price and the hospital doesn't tell them), but you can buy it for like $8 for a bottle across the street at a pharmacy.
What is the justification of doing that?

Old 02-28-2022, 03:30 PM

3,738 posts, read 3,474,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
What is the justification of doing that?
Why do baseball stadiums charge you $18 for a beer? Same reason.

Old 02-28-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Why do baseball stadiums charge you $18 for a beer? Same reason.

Baseball stadiums have the prices on huge signs so you know what you are paying for, it isn't a surprise after the fact.

Old 02-28-2022, 05:49 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,773,686 times
And you don't really need the beer (although you may think that you do). Where as you may really need the medical procedure and don't have the time or the energy to inquire and shop around. They got you where they want you, these hospitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City