Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 10:30 AM

5 posts, read 3,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
You can request your rent payments back.

What is your end game? 90 days is more than enough time to find an apartment. Also this is the optimal time to find an apartment before spring summer when everyone else is moving. In addition the apartment prices are creeping up so if I were you I would move.

If you eventually have an eviction there are not many landlords who will rent to you no matter what your reasons are as most LL are aware how long and drawn out a court battle is.

Also you aren't exactly looking like an appealing tenant after haven't paid rent since 2020. Try to move while you still have no eviction and can still negotiate an ok referral from your current landlord.

I know 2 renters who were able to negotiate free month/free parking because of the availability of apartments. If the landlord gave you notice in 2020 and you still haven't moved in 2022, is it the illegality of the apartment that bothers you or are you just looking to squat?
If the place is so horrible that you can't pay rent, you are having heart palpitations and stress I would think you would want to leave no?

You found out that you were pregnant in 2020. You stated "I just needed time to give birth and find a new apartment". I think normal gestation time is 9 months. That would take you into early 2021. Then Time to find an apartment should be 3 months at maximum.

If you haven't been paying rent all this time I would look for a house to buy if I were you (Hope you saved all the back rent, tax return and stimmy money received in the past 2 years).
You should apply for first time home buyers grant. You can get up to $20K.

Hopefully you have a husband/baby father/boyfriend situation who can help out ( and you aren't just 2 broke people trying to live for free and bringing a baby into the world).
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
You are equally at fault as much as the LL. For ages now attic apartments have been illegal in NYS. If a fire breaks out, then how do you safely get out in time? Even if you "didn't know", an attic arrangement should have looked awfully sketchy by way of common sense. You should have avoided the "apartment" and reported it right from the start. By participating, you share fault with the LL.
I know it now, but this was my first apartment in this country, and apparently in NYC. It looked normal to me - kitchen, bathroom.. tiny but still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
New member first (troll) posts can sometimes be fun to read but I don't believe a word of this. I like it better when I get sucked into believing the story for at least a few minutes. Sadly, that didn't happen here.
I am happy it is funny to read for you, but it is my real situation. And I am not an author of fiction books, so sorry it didn't seem true to you.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
You can request your rent payments back.

What is your end game? 90 days is more than enough time to find an apartment. Also this is the optimal time to find an apartment before spring summer when everyone else is moving. In addition the apartment prices are creeping up so if I were you I would move.

If you eventually have an eviction there are not many landlords who will rent to you no matter what your reasons are as most LL are aware how long and drawn out a court battle is.

Also you aren't exactly looking like an appealing tenant after haven't paid rent since 2020. Try to move while you still have no eviction and can still negotiate an ok referral from your current landlord.

I know 2 renters who were able to negotiate free month/free parking because of the availability of apartments. If the landlord gave you notice in 2020 and you still haven't moved in 2022, is it the illegality of the apartment that bothers you or are you just looking to squat?
If the place is so horrible that you can't pay rent, you are having heart palpitations and stress I would think you would want to leave no?

You found out that you were pregnant in 2020. You stated "I just needed time to give birth and find a new apartment". I think normal gestation time is 9 months. That would take you into early 2021. Then Time to find an apartment should be 3 months at maximum.

If you haven't been paying rent all this time I would look for a house to buy if I were you (Hope you saved all the back rent, tax return and stimmy money received in the past 2 years).
You should apply for first time home buyers grant. You can get up to $20K.

Hopefully you have a husband/baby father/boyfriend situation who can help out ( and you aren't just 2 broke people trying to live for free and bringing a baby into the world).
Thank you for your reply. I will try to explain myself better. I gave birth in the end of January. Until my baby was 3 months old I wasn't even trying to find a new place because I was dealing with postpartum issues. In May I started looking for a new place and that's when I got a second 90-day notice to move out by August 31st. At that point, I planned to move out by that date. Now when I got a notice that LL filed a case in court I stopped looking for an apartment and I waited for a court as several attorneys recommended because LL wanted to get money for rent that I did not pay. I had no idea that I will have to wait so long for a court date. However, this is what happened.

So the reason why I did not move out sooner - because LL started the case and I had to answer it. And this is what I am doing now. I am looking for a place to move now, but it will take some time, Maybe 2-3 months and that is all I need. We were trying talking to LL and asked her to give us time to move out, but she wants to go through court, that was her choice. She did not want to make any agreements with us.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You are not allowed to live in an illegal apartment, you will have to leave any way you look at it. But similarly, landlords are not allowed to rent illegal spaces. If the city is notified he will be fined a substantial amount - that is your leverage. Tell the landlord you will leave for a big payoff or you will report them. If they refuse, say fine - evict me. The landlord will not be entitled to any back rent and will get fined. Keep in mind any way you look at it you will have to leave (unless he decides to let you stay)
We tried to talk to LL and to his attorney. Attorney is not returning calls or emails. We will move out, I just need this case to be closed and no one hunting on me when I move out. And of course, 2-3 month to find a new place. Thank you replying!

Old 03-08-2022, 11:35 AM

1,081 posts, read 560,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelika View Post
We tried to talk to LL and to his attorney. Attorney is not returning calls or emails. We will move out, I just need this case to be closed and no one hunting on me when I move out. And of course, 2-3 month to find a new place. Thank you replying!
I'm confused. Why do you need to wait for the court date or "case to be closed" before you can move out? This actually seems the ideal time to move out as you're not paying rent, and as someone else mentioned, rents are likely lower now than they will be in a few months.

Since you haven't been paying rent, you should have plenty saved up for a move, plus your baby is more than one year old by now.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:37 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,296,131 times
Since none of the parties has "clean hands" the legal system is not the panacea the OP is looking for. She and her entourage should just get out. She used the apartment; she should pay for it. Another gimme gimme gimme person who is spawning.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:40 AM

1,081 posts, read 560,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Since none of the parties has "clean hands" the legal system is not the panacea the OP is looking for. She and her entourage should just get out. She used the apartment; she should pay for it. Another gimme gimme gimme person who is spawning.
OK, yes, I just re-read the OP and it looks like she just wants to get out of paying rent for an apartment she was happily living in until she was told her lease would not be renewed.

OP- pay the rent and move out.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:32 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,306,735 times
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I will try to explain myself better. I gave birth in the end of January. Until my baby was 3 months old I wasn't even trying to find a new place because I was dealing with postpartum issues. In May I started looking for a new place and that's when I got a second 90-day notice to move out by August 31st. At that point, I planned to move out by that date. Now when I got a notice that LL filed a case in court I stopped looking for an apartment and I waited for a court as several attorneys recommended because LL wanted to get money for rent that I did not pay. I had no idea that I will have to wait so long for a court date. However, this is what happened.

So the reason why I did not move out sooner - because LL started the case and I had to answer it. And this is what I am doing now. I am looking for a place to move now, but it will take some time, Maybe 2-3 months and that is all I need. We were trying talking to LL and asked her to give us time to move out, but she wants to go through court, that was her choice. She did not want to make any agreements with us.

You spent alot of time and energy making demands on what the landlord needs to fix and register. Demanding not to pay rent.

Like we have explained to you. Finding an apartment is not hard for the motivated. There are tons of apartments available.

Are you working? Do you have baby sitting options. You claimed that you just moved here.

I don't know who is advising you but your energies are better served finding a job, finding an apartment, moving on with your life and improving your situation for you and your family.

Many waste their younger years trying to get over incurring evictions, bad credit etc. It makes your life 1000 times harder

2020 to 2022 is a long time. Apply for Medicaire and go see a therapist if you are still depressed.

You are going down a rabbit hole that is going to set you back years if not for the rest of your adult life.

Trying to extort your landlord is also illegal. You can request a return of your rent. You can't demand that the landlord pays you more than your back rent. He does not have to.

Your landlord can also decide to incur the fine and have DOB issue a "hazardous immediate" vacate for your apartment. All your landlord would need to do is remove the bathroom and kitchen when you leave and apply to mitigate the fine.

Now you are in a shelter and you had to uproot your life instead of finding an apartment in a less stressfull situation. I have seen this happen to tenants.

Getting an apartment after being in a shelter (plus having an eviction on your record) would make it 10 times harder.

Apartments.com zillow, realtor There are tons of website with available apartments. You are not looking if you haven't been able to find an apartment in 5 month much less 2 years!

Old 03-08-2022, 05:37 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,306,735 times
Quote:

So the reason why I did not move out sooner - because LL started the case and I had to answer it.
And this is what I am doing now. I am looking for a place to move now, but it will take some time, Maybe 2-3 months and that is all I need. We were trying talking to LL and asked her to give us time to move out, but she wants to go through court, that was her choice. She did not want to make any agreements with us.

If the landlord gave you a 90 day notice to vacate and you vacated your response in court is "I no longer live in the apartment. I don't owe back rent" request the case to be dismissed.

You staying in the apartment just so you can go to court and go back and forth with a landlord for an apartment that you claim that you don't want to live in makes no sense.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:53 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,539,003 times
it makes a lot of sense to me,she is looking for support that she is entitled to live in the attic free.
I doubt she can afford a non attic larger apt in the city,she wants us to tell her she could stay as long as she wants to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: