Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 02:24 PM

1,428 posts, read 728,399 times

Advertisements

Well thankfully for NYC his mayoralship is over and hopefully they won't hear from him in a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 06:32 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,690,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
The guy was a corrupt idiot. We got the worst of both worlds.
Your reply typifies what I'd seen here - insults, without anything to support them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Whoever wrote that article has too much time on their hands.
I don't know how much you read, but that's one of the jobs of journalists, to do overviews, to look back and assess. And not everyone limits themselves to Twitter sound-bites.

Old 03-11-2022, 06:41 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,690,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
hhaha he increased crime, somehow did a great thing with pre k then ruined the next 13 years of school, couldn't balance a budget in a great economy for six years PRE COVID then went crying to the federal gov't to bail him out.

His handling of covid was a joke as well. He ENCOURAGED people to go out when covid first hit, refused to close down the schools for weeks when we didn't know how bad it was, but then by September 2020 when it was clear covid barely impacted children basically left the schools closed for another year, had absurd vaccine mandates hurting restaurants even further. He closed parks and took down basketball hoops in the spring and summer of 2020 to "stop the spread" but encouraged groups of thousands to protest in the street. Apparently a park with 10 kids playing is a covid super spreader but not large groups protesting screaming at the top of their lungs.
It's hard to find crime rates going right up to the present, but here's one showing the drop in murder rate during BdB's tenure, except at the end, around 2020, when everything was screwy due to a combination of covid and the accompanying economic problems.

https://criminaljustice.cityofnewyor...nuary-2021.pdf

As to your blaming him for covid missteps, that's absurd. No one knew for certain what the answers were, and everyone, even medical experts, made wrong guesses, gave advice that turned out to be wrong, tried things that turned out not to work.

Old 03-11-2022, 06:47 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
What role did you have in his administration?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-11-2022, 07:15 PM

3,351 posts, read 1,240,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
It's hard to find crime rates going right up to the present, but here's one showing the drop in murder rate during BdB's tenure, except at the end, around 2020, when everything was screwy due to a combination of covid and the accompanying economic problems.

https://criminaljustice.cityofnewyor...nuary-2021.pdf

As to your blaming him for covid missteps, that's absurd. No one knew for certain what the answers were, and everyone, even medical experts, made wrong guesses, gave advice that turned out to be wrong, tried things that turned out not to work.
Agreed there was guess work which is why he should have initially closed the schools. This could have been Spanish flu bad where it was impacting young people at a high rate. Fortunately it wasn't that. By September 2020 we knew that and schools were still closed for the most part for no reason whatsoever. Even this year he still had kids wearing masks for no reason, even in pre school. There was no logic or science to any of this. I mean think of the logical disconnect- "this could be really awful for children" leave the schools open. Then" this isn't that bad for children, especially really young ones". Oh in that case close the schools, leave everyone muzzled for 2 years, cut down basketball hoops etc.

Just mind boggling stupidity.

Old 03-13-2022, 04:31 PM

276 posts, read 231,474 times
my personal fav is his 'vision zero' to end all traffic deaths. rearranged streets for bike lanes, city wide speed limits, added cameras everywhere- and I believe his last year in office traffic deaths were at an 8+ year high.
with a honorable mention to his wife's billion dollar slush fund 'ThriveNYC'. much like her husbands tenure as mayor- lots and lots of money spent, but nothing to show for it.

Old 03-13-2022, 04:37 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,182,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Not only DeBlasio, but this was the idiotic mindset among most liberals
Wait. Are we talking about Warren Wilhelm Jr.?

Old 03-14-2022, 08:43 AM

3,504 posts, read 1,415,131 times
As much as I hate de Blasio, he’s wayyy better than Eric Adams.

Old 03-14-2022, 01:56 PM

5,833 posts, read 2,955,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Still too early to tell, but Im not too hopeful, I do with him and NYC well and hope he can make a good dent.

In retrospect, Bloomberg was the man, who knew. Did not need money, wasn't chasing money, did things right for the city.
Giuliani was also a beast, went after the whole Italian mob in 80s and 90s. That takes some balls.

Old 03-14-2022, 02:41 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Too early to tell, but de Blasio was inept. Even if Sliwa was in office, I don't think things would be that much better simply because we're barely three months into this. It's going to take a long time to reverse the mess that de Blasio created. I'm going to try to give Adams the benefit of the doubt, because quite frankly, that's all we can do and hope that this mess gets turned around, but I don't see anything improving until perhaps the next year or so if that.

You have to remember that one the main obstacles was repealing Bail Reform, which Adams lobbied for but has not been able to get any traction on with the "woke" politicians. All he can do is control what he can here in the City as best as he can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City