Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 10:30 AM

912 posts, read 1,136,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Who says the NYPD is under no obligation to work or that it is unlike the Ukrainian military?

Second, where did I defended the NYPD’s budget at all costs? I am just showing Caban’s idiotic comparison of the NYPD with the Ukrainian military. It is as perfect of an example of an apples to oranges comparison as there is.

And for your information, I am just as much of a critic of the city’s wasteful spending as anyone, including the NYPD but unlike silly Leftists who hate on the NYPD, I realize that since the city’s wasteful spending ways aren’t going to change then taking money from something as necessary as the NYPD to divert to more nonsense social welfare programs aren’t the solution either. In fact, it would be highly destructive.

We are already seeing that played out right now. 8 years of deBlasio spending money on homeless, poor, mental illness, free this, free that etc. and not only have these things not gotten better but a lot worse.
The NYPD is under no obligation to work, so says the United States Supreme Court. In Castle Rock vs Gonzales. The NYPD, not any police department in the country, is not under any obligation to protect citizens. Sure, it’s in their job description, but they no duty to actually to do their Job.

That being said, I don’t hate the NYPD, nor do I wish to abolish the NYPD. But it is a corrupt, and bloated organization, like much of the city (DoE, I am looking at you) government that needs a drastic overhaul. Maybe even a clean house, since “good” cops will fight tooth and nail to protect bad cops. The difference is that to you only pay attention to the loudness on the issue of police brutality while discounting the lefts agenda to reform other institutions of corruption.

Note, this isn’t to say that I am in total agreement with every progressive everywhere. By lumping all of us into a single category and dismissing any slightly “left leaning” policy or politician as far left lunacy, you close the door on any rational discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2022, 10:34 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,273,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
You’re using nominal GDP. When adjusting for purchasing power parity, or in other words, taking into account salaries, cost of living, etc, it’s more like 584 Billion for Ukraine. So yes, Ukraine is not as rich as the United States, very few countries are, BUT it was a solidly middle income country.

That being said, the NYPD does not have to contend with a nuclear power waging war at its borders. It does not have to contend with buying and maintaining fighter Jets, submarines, tanks, anti aircraft systems, etc. And it does not have to fight an active war. There is no reason for the NYPD budget to be higher than the Ukrainian military other than bureaucratic bloat. Especially considering that given our wealth, we are a COMPARATIVELY safe country.
I am also using nominal GDP for NYC’s GDP. I am using equivalent measuring sticks.

Also, even using the $584 B number, that is still 51% less than NYC. Let that sink in for a moment. Ukraine is a country and is still more than 50% poorer than an American city.

No matter how you try to spin it, Ukraine is a relatively poor country. It may not be Haiti level poor but that’s not saying much.

The NYPD is in NYC and NYS, where everything costs more. This is not the fault of the NYPD. Blame this on your dear Democrats. If you want to talk about bureaucratic bloat, then start with the city and state first.

As for Ukraine, have you thought maybe it’s their budget that is the problem? Clearly, they could definitely use more funding. Again, apples to oranges comparison between a police department and a separate country. On,y fools like Caban would make that comparison and bigger fools would defend him.

Old 03-20-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
The NYPD is under no obligation to work, so says the United States Supreme Court. In Castle Rock vs Gonzales. The NYPD, not any police department in the country, is not under any obligation to protect citizens. Sure, it’s in their job description, but they no duty to actually to do their Job.

That being said, I don’t hate the NYPD, nor do I wish to abolish the NYPD. But it is a corrupt, and bloated organization, like much of the city (DoE, I am looking at you) government that needs a drastic overhaul. Maybe even a clean house, since “good” cops will fight tooth and nail to protect bad cops. The difference is that to you only pay attention to the loudness on the issue of police brutality while discounting the lefts agenda to reform other institutions of corruption.

Note, this isn’t to say that I am in total agreement with every progressive everywhere. By lumping all of us into a single category and dismissing any slightly “left leaning” policy or politician as far left lunacy, you close the door on any rational discussion.
That’s just silly. The NYPD is literally the busiest police department in the country. It’s whole purpose is to provide policing, security and detective work for the public.

I love it when Leftists want everyone to understand their pluralism but they are quick to label GOP’s as racist, rednecks, fascists, etc. Pretty funny.

Old 03-20-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I am also using nominal GDP for NYC’s GDP. I am using equivalent measuring sticks.

Also, even using the $584 B number, that is still 51% less than NYC. Let that sink in for a moment. Ukraine is a country and is still more than 50% poorer than an American city.

No matter how you try to spin it, Ukraine is a relatively poor country. It may not be Haiti level poor but that’s not saying much.

The NYPD is in NYC and NYS, where everything costs more. This is not the fault of the NYPD. Blame this on your dear Democrats. If you want to talk about bureaucratic bloat, then start with the city and state first.

As for Ukraine, have you thought maybe it’s their budget that is the problem? Clearly, they could definitely use more funding. Again, apples to oranges comparison between a police department and a separate country. On,y fools like Caban would make that comparison and bigger fools would defend him.
It is not an equivalent measuring stick because nominal GDP doesn’t take into account cost of living, purchasing power, etc. It’s almost as foolish as saying a 80k salary in NYC is exactly the same as a 80k salary in rural Texas.

The point is, if Ukraine with it budget can manage to stall the second strongest military in the world, there is absolutely no need for the NYPD to have a higher budget. It is not fighting a war against a nuclear power.

The NYPD is responsible for its own budget. There have been numerous documents lent instances of waste and fraud by the NYPD. From officer claiming to be on the clock while gambling to unnecessary purchase orders, to an oversized administrative staff force. These are not problems unique to the NYPD. All city agencies suffer from the same problems. But you seem to be sensitive against any criticism of the NYPD. And that is a problem. “Bad apples” in the NYPD behave with impunity because they have apologists like you on their side.

Old 03-20-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
That’s just silly. The NYPD is literally the busiest police department in the country. It’s whole purpose is to provide policing, security and detective work for the public.

I love it when Leftists want everyone to understand their pluralism but they are quick to label GOP’s as racist, rednecks, fascists, etc. Pretty funny.
When did I ever mention racism, rednecks or fascists? Certainly there are aspects of the GOP that caters to those sections of population, just like there are aspects of the left that caters to an ignorant authoritarian woke mob,but that is not what we are discussing right now. Your whataboutism has no place in this discussion

Old 03-20-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
When did I ever mention racism, rednecks or fascists? Certainly there are aspects of the GOP that caters to those sections of population, just like there are aspects of the left that caters to an ignorant authoritarian woke mob,but that is not what we are discussing right now. Your whataboutism has no place in this discussion
Hello? Whataboutism is exactly the very topic of this thread. It’s Caban’s use of whataboutism of Ukraine’s military is what got you here in this thread.

Old 03-20-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
It is not an equivalent measuring stick because nominal GDP doesn’t take into account cost of living, purchasing power, etc. It’s almost as foolish as saying a 80k salary in NYC is exactly the same as a 80k salary in rural Texas.

The point is, if Ukraine with it budget can manage to stall the second strongest military in the world, there is absolutely no need for the NYPD to have a higher budget. It is not fighting a war against a nuclear power.

The NYPD is responsible for its own budget. There have been numerous documents lent instances of waste and fraud by the NYPD. From officer claiming to be on the clock while gambling to unnecessary purchase orders, to an oversized administrative staff force. These are not problems unique to the NYPD. All city agencies suffer from the same problems. But you seem to be sensitive against any criticism of the NYPD. And that is a problem. “Bad apples” in the NYPD behave with impunity because they have apologists like you on their side.
Stop trying to make excuses for you being wrong. No amount of PPP number tweeking will make Ukraine a country look prosperous compared to a city especially when that city out-grosses it by 50%.

And if you are going to use the cost of living/purchasing power argument, then you will have to figure that into the NYPD budget as well.

Like I said, show me anything in NYC that is not bloated or inefficient. If you are going to target the NYPD while ignoring everything else, then don’t complain when crime gets of control, more so than it is even now.

Let me guess, you were many of the Leftist naysayers that were for all the decriminalization efforts the last few years when many of us conservatives warned that it would bring crime back. Of course now that has come true, you come back to argue against the NYPD again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City