Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 12:48 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,081,666 times

Advertisements

Not a criticism of NYC. It’s fantastic! I lived in Chicago a few years and love the city life.

I browse real estate and find apartments or condos with no view. Some nice ones too. How do you deal with it? Does it get depressing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 01:02 PM

6,697 posts, read 6,066,325 times
Funny cause I viewed an apartment in a luxury building last week but rejected it cause it had no views except to a brick wall. I think people need to take what they really want (and can afford). A view may not be important to some people but living in a dark space is not healthy.
So the way that I deal with that is simply to reject the apartment.

Old 03-26-2022, 01:11 PM

I once briefly lived in a basement apartment in Chicago. But I had a full time job and a motivation to get out of the apartment.

Old 03-26-2022, 02:38 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,306,475 times
Large beautiful art on the wall. Large plants next to the window. Keep the windows/curtain open as much as you can to let in natural lights. IKEA and Fortunoff always has large beautiful landscape/seascape artwork.

Old 03-26-2022, 02:40 PM

5,525 posts, read 8,796,099 times
I think “Rear Window” apartments can be interesting. I lived in one like that years ago and I didn’t see any murders, but I did have decent light and it wasn’t overly noisy at night. But I had to remember when to pull the curtains. Across the way some people forgot—and probably wished the hadn’t!

Old 03-26-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I think “Rear Window” apartments can be interesting. I lived in one like that years ago and I didn’t see any murders, but I did have decent light and it wasn’t overly noisy at night. But I had to remember when to pull the curtains. Across the way some people forgot—and probably wished the hadn’t!

Were there actual murders that happened while you were there? Lol. I guess that is a good selling point in NYC. No views guarantees that you won't see any murders or crime which is currently a plague in NYC.

Old 03-26-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Large beautiful art on the wall. Large plants next to the window. Keep the windows/curtain open as much as you can to let in natural lights. IKEA and Fortunoff always has large beautiful landscape/seascape artwork.
When your view is a wall it doesn’t seem you’ll get much natural light.

Old 03-26-2022, 03:13 PM

If the walls are painted a light color and the windows are open, the effect of the smell of fresh air and the breeze will give a sense of outdoors and 'natural light'

Old 03-26-2022, 04:37 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,444,099 times
I would love a bedroom that faced a wall with nothing else near me. Those are worth gold IMO. I would need at least one view of the street in the living room.

Old 03-26-2022, 05:00 PM

1,081 posts, read 559,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Were there actual murders that happened while you were there? Lol. I guess that is a good selling point in NYC. No views guarantees that you won't see any murders or crime which is currently a plague in NYC.
I think the murders refers to the "Rear Window" film reference.

Recuperating from a broken leg, professional photographer L. B. "Jeff" Jefferies is confined to a wheelchair in his apartment in Greenwich Village, Manhattan. His rear window looks out onto a courtyard and other apartments. During an intense heat wave, he watches his neighbors, who keep their windows open to stay cool. They are a lonely woman whom Jeff nicknames 'Miss Lonelyhearts', a newlywed couple, a pianist, a pretty dancer nicknamed 'Miss Torso', a middle-aged couple whose small dog likes digging in the flower garden, and Lars Thorwald, a traveling costume jewelry salesman with a bedridden wife.

Jeff is visited regularly by his socialite girlfriend, Lisa Fremont, and a nurse named Stella. One night after an argument with Lisa, Jeff is alone in his apartment and hears a woman scream, "Don't!" and the sound of breaking glass. Later that night, during a thunderstorm, he observes Thorwald making repeated late-night trips carrying a suitcase. The next morning, Jeff notices that Thorwald's wife is gone, and sees him cleaning a large knife and handsaw. Thorwald also has moving men haul away a large trunk. Jeff becomes convinced that Thorwald has murdered his wife, and shares this with Lisa and Stella, who believe him when they observe Thorwald acting suspiciously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: