Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 02:56 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,725,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Working in an office (unless the job demands a physical presence to accomplish the work) is the new second and third tier work. It's a white collar McDonald's job.
Thats what I feel like.
We are back to office full time for like half a year now, even though my job is on the computer and can 100% be done from home. Its definitely second tier work. WFH is just soo much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 03:00 PM

2,645 posts, read 1,245,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
While I agree with you to some degree, if financial institutions left, where do you think the money will come from? The state would collapse.
I do agree. It's a double edged sword. Those institutions are not inherently bad themselves. They can, and have, done many important and good things too. But people (mostly in NYC) have misused them to gratuitously enrich themselves to the detriment of others.

I was not clear when I said "Wall St" I was not speaking literally, but using it as a general blanket term for the greed of a certain breed of New Yorkers whose greed have caused a lot of damage and drained the national economy. Not literally financial institutions themselves necessarily, though some of those institutions have been used to enable those individuals to operate.

Old 04-08-2022, 03:06 PM

5,862 posts, read 2,983,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
I do agree. It's a double edged sword. Those institutions are not inherently bad themselves. They can, and have, done many important and good things too. But people (mostly in NYC) have misused them to gratuitously enrich themselves to the detriment of others.
Are you saying Jamie Dimon doesn't deserve his 55 million bonus this year?
Problem is open borders and wage stagnation thats been going on for decades. When you flood the market with all sorts of people, wages go down. Gate keepers know this. It makes them money.

Old 04-08-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Are you saying Jamie Dimon doesn't deserve his 55 million bonus this year?
Well, Mr. Dimon has taken a step back from his campaign to get workers to return to the office, so Mayor Adams may not think so at the moment

Old 04-08-2022, 03:14 PM

5,862 posts, read 2,983,107 times
Quote:
Well, Mr. Dimon has taken a step back from his campaign to get workers to return to the office, so Mayor Adams may not think so at the moment
I was at a conference few days ago where the big wigs were discussing how they are afraid to force people to come in, fearing that they would jump ship and many did. Finding good people with smarts and experience has become very difficult apparently. Many choosing quality of life over never ending work. I am very happy for those who found a better life style.
There is more to life then slaving away 60 hours a week and money is not everything. Decrease consumerism and you all of the sudden need less money.

Ive seen Dimon in person a bunch of times. Very likable and down to earth person. Good for him for knowing how to make millions.

Old 04-08-2022, 05:51 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,140,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
So people should sacrifice their happiness and well being so nyc can have more revenue and tax sources? To obtain money that the politicians will no doubt squander?
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to LOVEROFNYC again

Quote:
This is why they want to end WFH.

There's no other reason. The only people who want to go back are people who live in a boring place and/or can't stand their family.

If I could get out of NYC, I'd never go back again.
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Working in an office (unless the job demands a physical presence to accomplish the work) is the new second and third tier work. It's a white collar McDonald's job.
Pretty much.

Old 04-08-2022, 06:14 PM

1,107 posts, read 555,010 times
When it comes to going back to the office, I'm like Jack and Rose hanging onto the hull of the Titanic until the last possible moment when I have no choice but to jump. I went back for 2 days and hated it. The gossip started immediately, the drama Queens were in full force, people stopping by to chat was more disruptive than anything I have at home. All this for the pleasure of spending over $20/day train fare, getting up 3-1/2 hours earlier, spending 3 hours/day commuting, and risking my well-being navigating around and between the homeless, the druggie, and the loonies for the 8 blocks between Penn Station and my office. But we should all be eager to do this to make the Mayor look good. Um, okay. I'm back WFH full time.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:33 PM

34,156 posts, read 47,390,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
When it comes to going back to the office, I'm like Jack and Rose hanging onto the hull of the Titanic until the last possible moment when I have no choice but to jump. I went back for 2 days and hated it. The gossip started immediately, the drama Queens were in full force, people stopping by to chat was more disruptive than anything I have at home. All this for the pleasure of spending over $20/day train fare, getting up 3-1/2 hours earlier, spending 3 hours/day commuting, and risking my well-being navigating around and between the homeless, the druggie, and the loonies for the 8 blocks between Penn Station and my office. But we should all be eager to do this to make the Mayor look good. Um, okay. I'm back WFH full time.
Yeah but if you WFH who's going to buy that $15 sandwich for lunch and keep that deli in business

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-08-2022, 11:16 PM

Quote:

Ive seen Dimon in person a bunch of times. Very likable and down to earth person. Good for him for knowing how to make millions.
I'm sure he's a good guy. I don't have too strong of an opinion on him either way as I don't know a whole lot about him really.

My comment about "Wall Street" was a bit broad and figurative. Many of the people I meant to say (which I lazily addressed by simply saying "wall street") are the types of people who the public don't usually hear about until their house of cards collapse (The Epsteins, Madoff, Shekreli's). Those types of "financiers" and racketeers were who I was referring to when I said "Wall Street". The ones who get caught are the ones we know about, but there's plenty who have gotten away, and continue to get away, with things all the time. (Silicon Valley has a lot of these types too, but that's a discussion best suited for the California forum).

However, I also know plenty of guys and gals who get up for the Morning Call who have done great work in that industry.

Old 04-09-2022, 11:10 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,961,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yeah but if you WFH who's going to buy that $15 sandwich for lunch and keep that deli in business
Those dollars will go to the local deli in his/her hometown or the grocery store should he/she decide to make lunch at home.

If this ends up being a structural change then NYC will continue to take a hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City