Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 12:05 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Those dollars will go to the local deli in his/her hometown or the grocery store should he/she decide to make lunch at home.

If this ends up being a structural change then NYC will continue to take a hit.
Ok, but what about the Midtown deli

What do we tell the owner of the Midtown deli

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 12:42 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,154,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Those dollars will go to the local deli in his/her hometown or the grocery store should he/she decide to make lunch at home.

If this ends up being a structural change then NYC will continue to take a hit.

That's what happened during the pandemic restrictions. Many Outer-Boro restaurants/cafes did a little better than a lot of their Manhattan counterparts. Local neighborhood residents kept them going. My local coffee shop on S.I. had many customers who'd stop buy before and during their WFH days to pick up coffee/cakes, etc. Even when they were just doing take-out they had a decent amount of customers.

But many outer-borough restaurants/cafes were destroyed by the pandemic restrictions............

Old 04-09-2022, 01:20 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,263,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

lol, what?

Old 04-09-2022, 03:39 PM

1,107 posts, read 553,422 times
Quote:

Whatever you want.

Old 04-09-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
Whatever you want.
Hmm so when the Midtown deli owner is forced to close because we want to work in pajamas, then its ok

Man us human beings are a selfish hypocritical bunch

When it benefits us, cool, when it screws us, not cool

I thought we were all pro-business on here, pro mom-n-pop, n such

Truth be told can't even call it a society anymore when everyone's only thinking for themselves and not for the common good, lol

If it wasn't for Covid, most of you would still be on the train Mon-Fri, still buying $15 sandwiches, how crazy is that...

Old 04-09-2022, 05:25 PM

Perhaps you didn't fully read my post. If you did, I don't believe the word "pajamas" is given as a reason why I prefer to work from home. Instead, you'd see that I mentioned a commuting cost of over $20 a day, 4 unpaid hours a day spent getting ready for work and commuting, and the realistic risk of being a victim of a plethora of homeless, druggies and loonies. Without knowing my financial situation or my family responsibilities, you think I should be more concerned about someone else's well-being than my own, reducing my reasons to wanting to work in my pajamas. Says a helluva lot more about you than it does about me.

Edited to add: This may come as a surprise to you,, but wherever I am, I still have to eat. Since I'm not a farmer, I have to buy my food, so I'm always supporting a business. The only difference is that I'm now supporting businesses in my own neighborhood. Is that a problem?

Old 04-09-2022, 05:29 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,263,244 times
Quote:
Hmm so when the Midtown deli owner is forced to close because we want to work in pajamas, then its ok

Man us human beings are a selfish hypocritical bunch

When it benefits us, cool, when it screws us, not cool

I thought we were all pro-business on here, pro mom-n-pop, n such

Truth be told can't even call it a society anymore when everyone's only thinking for themselves and not for the common good, lol

If it wasn't for Covid, most of you would still be on the train Mon-Fri, still buying $15 sandwiches, how crazy is that...
This makes zero sense.

We don't live in a planned economy. When there are major changes in th macro-economy, old business models are replaced by new ones.

Do you know what's selfish? The millions of able bodied NYCers who take welfare and government subsidies. That's not selfish, right?

Your concept of "selfishness" is completely twisted. I'm not surprised because NYCs welfare state has completely corrupted many NYCers minds.

Old 04-09-2022, 05:39 PM

@Esacni, I tried to rep you for this post, but not surprisingly, it seems I've already done so recently.

Old 04-09-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
Perhaps you didn't fully read my post. If you did, I don't believe the word "pajamas" is given as a reason why I prefer to work from home. Instead, you'd see that I mentioned a commuting cost of over $20 a day, 4 unpaid hours a day spent getting ready for work and commuting, and the realistic risk of being a victim of a plethora of homeless, druggies and loonies. Without knowing my financial situation or my family responsibilities, you think I should be more concerned about someone else's well-being than my own, reducing my reasons to wanting to work in my pajamas. Says a helluva lot more about you than it does about me.

Edited to add: This may come as a surprise to you,, but wherever I am, I still have to eat. Since I'm not a farmer, I have to buy my food, so I'm always supporting a business. The only difference is that I'm now supporting businesses in my own neighborhood. Is that a problem?
No need to take the quote so literal. "Working in pajamas" at this point is simply a colloquialism for working from home.

Old 04-09-2022, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
This makes zero sense.

We don't live in a planned economy. When there are major changes in th macro-economy, old business models are replaced by new ones.

Do you know what's selfish? The millions of able bodied NYCers who take welfare and government subsidies. That's not selfish, right?

Your concept of "selfishness" is completely twisted. I'm not surprised because NYCs welfare state has completely corrupted many NYCers minds.
One can only take what has been given to them

So maybe you should take up your issues with the government

Or vote with your feet

You anti-welfare people are all talk and no action

You work from home, don't have to commute, and you hate the politics here. So what's keeping you? Why are you not running for office under the party of your choice? Is it easier to just perch yourself on the proverbial window ledge, and warble your political beliefs from sun-up to sundown, at anyone who bothers reading? Sounds like self-inflicted torture to me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City