Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 06:18 PM

34,218 posts, read 47,539,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that nothing has changed in terms of cost of living and crime levels from pre-Covid days?
That's called putting words in my mouth, feel free to quote where I said the bolded

What I did say, is that it doesn't seem like you were concerned about commuting costs and crime pre-Covid (seems odd that you would not be). If that's not true, and you were concered about crime/commuting costs pre-Covid, I will stand corrected.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 06:18 PM

1,107 posts, read 557,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I think you're misunderstanding. So I'll say it like this. Grocer by your house, grocer in Midtown. If you want to support the grocer by your house, why not buy the sandwich there and take it to work the next day instead of patronizing the Midtown grocer?
Again, more assumptions. I never said I bought lunch in NYC at all. Fact is, I always brown-bagged it. Your concern for the Midtown deli owner came out of left field, not in response to anything I said.

Old 04-09-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Again, more assumptions. I never said I bought lunch in NYC at all. Fact is, I always brown-bagged it. Your concern for the Midtown deli owner came out of left field, not in response to anything I said.
Quote:
The only difference is that I'm now supporting businesses in my own neighborhood. Is that a problem?
This quote was vague. If you brought your lunch to work every day you were supporting your local business all along. No need to even comment on the plight of the Midtown deli owner then...either way, it's insignificant.

Old 04-09-2022, 06:27 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,283,557 times
Quote:
Suppose someone else was reading this conversation and was just as curious as me about the bolded. Wanted to learn more about the situation, even. At least provide some examples that support what you're saying. Otherwise who's going to take what you're saying seriously?
That's not the situation here. See what I mean by bad faith argument?

Old 04-09-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
That's called putting words in my mouth, feel free to quote where I said the bolded

What I did say, is that it doesn't seem like you were concerned about commuting costs and crime pre-Covid (seems odd that you would not be). If that's not true, and you were concered about crime/commuting costs pre-Covid, I will stand corrected.
I didn't put words in your mouth. Hence, the "are you suggesting...." I know you know what that means.

And if cost of living and crime levels are significantly higher now than they were two years ago pre-Covid, why wouldn't there be an increase in concern about them now?

How much money do I make? Did I get a cost of living salary increase the past two years to keep up with inflation? How old am I? Do I have children or elderly parents who are dependent on me?

You're pretty judgmental for someone who doesn't know anything about me.

Old 04-09-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
That's not the situation here. See what I mean by bad faith argument?
Ok, so you get to claim whatever, and not provide any type of proof/substance. Clearly you've never been on any debate team. It's cool, make whatever claims you want. I'll believe it just because you say it, and others should too. Viva La Internet

Old 04-09-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
This quote was vague. If you brought your lunch to work every day you were supporting your local business all along. No need to even comment on the plight of the Midtown deli owner then...either way, it's insignificant.
If my post was vague, then yours was irrelevant.

Old 04-09-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I didn't put words in your mouth. Hence, the "are you suggesting...." I know you know what that means.

And if cost of living and crime levels are significantly higher now than they were two years ago pre-Covid, why wouldn't there be an increase in concern about them now?

How much money do I make? Did I get a cost of living salary increase the past two years to keep up with inflation? How old am I? Do I have children or elderly parents who are dependent on me?

You're pretty judgmental for someone who doesn't know anything about me.
I think I've been pretty clear this whole time, so no need to ask if I'm suggesting anything

I'm not judging you, I'm just asking questions for the most part

Old 04-09-2022, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Hmm so when the Midtown deli owner is forced to close because we want to work in pajamas, then its ok

Man us human beings are a selfish hypocritical bunch

When it benefits us, cool, when it screws us, not cool

I thought we were all pro-business on here, pro mom-n-pop, n such

Truth be told can't even call it a society anymore when everyone's only thinking for themselves and not for the common good, lol

If it wasn't for Covid, most of you would still be on the train Mon-Fri, still buying $15 sandwiches, how crazy is that...
Quote:
I think I've been pretty clear this whole time, so no need to ask if I'm suggesting anything

I'm not judging you, I'm just asking questions for the most part
Not judging me?

Old 04-09-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Not judging me?
I used pluralities my whole time in the response. If what I said does not apply to you, then it should be of no consequence.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City