Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 02:24 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,283,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Unfortunately low-skilled warehouse workers are not in a good bargaining position. I wonder how many didn't even finish high school? They are not like electricians, carpenters, operating engineers. Amazon will either automate as close to 100% of operations as is possible, or pay whatever the union severance amount is to the employees and close the SI warehouse. Amazon does not own the warehouses but rents from Matrix Development. Also cheaper in the long run to also pay off Matrix, and remove their equipment which can be done very quickly. The Amazon workers out on Gulf Avenue are in for a shock. Amazon is a lousy employer and they should have known that.

This will push Amazon to do the same with their other NYC warehouses, meaning fewer jobs in the long run. I bet Bezos is very happy that he ended up walking away from that Queens 'HQ2' deal too.

Not so easy. If Amazon wants to push 1 and 2 day delivery, proximity to their customers plays a big role. Especially grocery delivery.

I was surprised when Amazon opened a warehouse in NYC because it was a risky move. High cost of living area with a very high level of union participation (relative to the rest of the US). They did it, most likely, because they had to in order to service the NYC area.

The drive is toward more automation and less labor and the SI warehouse was one of the most automated in their holdings.

I'm not sure Amazon has a way out beyond pushing for more automation and less human labor. They wouldn't have opened the SI warehouse if they didn't need it. They can't just relocate it outside of NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2022, 02:34 PM

2,324 posts, read 1,172,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh this is so going to good watching how this rolls out. Because you know just as with Starbucks it is only start.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/01/t...en-island.html

A Starbucks union is laughable. Starbucks is over-priced as it is and even SJW/progressives have a limit on how much they'll spend on burnt-tasting coffee. LOL! Starbucks will close up unionized stores.

Old 04-03-2022, 05:01 PM

32,040 posts, read 27,275,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
A Starbucks union is laughable. Starbucks is over-priced as it is and even SJW/progressives have a limit on how much they'll spend on burnt-tasting coffee. LOL! Starbucks will close up unionized stores.
Yeah! Now if WaWa goes union, then I'll have something to worry about.

Old 04-03-2022, 05:45 PM

2,324 posts, read 1,172,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yeah! Now if WaWa goes union, then I'll have something to worry about.

The WWWW.

WaWa Workers of the World!

Old 04-03-2022, 06:15 PM

15,883 posts, read 14,573,038 times
They may try. But there's a little thing called the National Labor Relations Act (and the NLRB that's at least supposed to enforce it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
If I was Bezos I'd shut down this facility and relocate it to another state where they wouldn't dare do this. Productivity will decline dramatically and the people that will benefit the most from unionizing will be the lazy and incompetent.

Old 04-03-2022, 10:38 PM

2,335 posts, read 1,051,633 times
NYC is too lucrative a market for AMZN to ignore. It's impossible to keep the 2-3 day delivery - or even same day if Prime - to NYC customers if they relocate out of the city. Trucks, pickers, laborers, and delivery drivers still need to physically handle the boxes. Robot driven trucks and walking androids are not going to appear magically anytime soon. My prediction is that Bezos will begrudgingly do a deal w/the union.

Old 04-03-2022, 11:36 PM

15,883 posts, read 14,573,038 times
Much of the city is closer to NJ and even CT than SI. And if Westchester is in play, that's even closer. There's nothing magical about being in the city itself. This is especially true about SI, which is really not particularly close to anything but souther Brooklyn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
NYC is too lucrative a market for AMZN to ignore. It's impossible to keep the 2-3 day delivery - or even same day if Prime - to NYC customers if they relocate out of the city. Trucks, pickers, laborers, and delivery drivers still need to physically handle the boxes. Robot driven trucks and walking androids are not going to appear magically anytime soon. My prediction is that Bezos will begrudgingly do a deal w/the union.

Old 04-04-2022, 05:32 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,283,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Much of the city is closer to NJ and even CT than SI. And if Westchester is in play, that's even closer. There's nothing magical about being in the city itself. This is especially true about SI, which is really not particularly close to anything but souther Brooklyn.
If Amazon chose that particular location, you can bet there's a very good reason. It's not because they could've opened up another in NJ or CT but chose SI.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:21 AM

2,476 posts, read 1,249,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Jeff Bezos spent years using his mouthpiece, the Washington Post, to bash conservatives and pretend to be a friend of liberals. Now, he's just revealed himself to be the hypocrite he has been all along.
The Left loves the working class, until they don't.

Old 04-04-2022, 06:22 AM

3,957 posts, read 5,101,725 times
With NYPD ticketing prime trucks for delivery, and shoddy USPS handoffs- with higher cost of business, I wonder how Amazon does not surcharge NYC delivery zones (outside of SI).

I guess there's an offset with volume and less gas, but getting $500 in tickets a day seems to make gas price moot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City