Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2022, 05:15 PM

15,638 posts, read 15,771,746 times

Advertisements

PBS was showing women-themed documentaries Women's History Month, and I was watching a bit of the ticker tape parade for Amelia Earhart. And I was thinking about how they declined.

If you've ever walked along Broadway, where the list of honorees is embedded in the sidewalk, it ends up being rather sad. Once, we often celebrated either the great achievements of individuals who contributed something to the world (Charles Lindbergh, Winston Churchill) or honored a head of state (Jawaharlal Nehru, David Ben-Gurion). But now it's most for groups, and mostly just for sports, with the recent exception of the self-congratulatory pandering to health-care people who probably would much rather have had a 20% salary bump.

Hey, maybe there'll be one for Zelensky?

Here's the list, if you're curious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._New_York_City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 11:01 PM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
Great post. I worked in lower Manhattan, noted those markers on Broadway many a time.

And from your list:

1926: August 27 – Gertrude Ederle, first woman to swim the English Channel

From about mid-1999 until her death at 94 in late 2001, my grandmother lived in a health care facility in Wyckoff, NJ. Her roommate was Trudy Ederle, who was a few years older. Trudy had not only been the first woman to swim the English Channel (and broke the previous record), she was part of the 1924 Gold Medalist US Olympic Relay Team. She had the photos of her ticker-tape parade and a display of her gold medals on the wall of the room. She'd spent most of her life in Queens as a swimming teacher, and in her old age she fell down some stairs and needed full-time care. She'd never married or had children, so a niece in the area made arrangements for her care.

In 2000, Sports Illustrated came to interview her at the home as part of their 20th-century sports stories. As I was a Girl Scout leader at the time for my daughter's troop, I brought the girls to meet her and see her ticker-tape picture and her medals and to let them know they'd met a woman who had broken a man's sports record.

She died a few years after my grandmother, around 98 years of age, IIRC.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City