Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 05:54 PM

1,052 posts, read 452,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
You think if you get infected while wearing a KN-95 mask it would reduce the severity of the illness? I’ve never heard that claim. I’ve heard that vaccinated people get less severe illnesses if they get infected but not that a mask would make infections less severe.
Yeah wearing a mask does absolutely nothing to change the "severity" of any viral illness. If you're exposed, you're exposed. And unless your body stops it immediately, the virus will replicate into trillions of viral particles using your cells soon. Regardless of whether you were exposed to 100 virus particles or 1,000,000 initially.

Only thing is, with 100 your body has a fighting chance of getting rid of them before they take over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 05:32 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
I was just going to post the same thing. Your covid wouldn't have been anymore severe without a mask.

What your masks did was reduce your chances of getting covid, and possibly have prevented you from getting it a different time. But if you do manage to catch it , it's not going to be less severe bc of the mask.
People need to research. But also use logic and common sense.

Masks reduce total partical inhalation. Initial viral load determines clinical outcomes. It is one of the single biggest determinants in case severity. The mask reduces your initial viral load ingested which gives your immune system more time to act.

And If masks don't work beyond preventing infection then why do medical professionals still wear them? The BA2 variant just requires fewer particles to infect. That is why even an N95 wouldn't be fool proof. But it would be foolish not to wear a mask just because it doesn't guarantee you don't get infected completely. It's the same logic as the vaccine. The vaccines don't prevent infection but they certainly prevent death and severe outcomes by allowing your immune system to respond quickly.

Have people not considered the reason death rates have plummeted: is because people such as myself are still wearing masks indoors and the risk taking people are already dead? It's morbid but 100% true and most ER physicians acknowledge this effect.

It's over 2 years into a pandemic that has killed 1M Americans but people still don't understand how viral pathology works. I get all my information from licensed medical Doctors. Look up Dr. Roger Sehelut and watch all of his videos.

Old 04-11-2022, 05:37 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
To an answer the OP, I don’t know, but I’m sure this forum will re-hash the same tired discussions about it long after.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-11-2022, 08:13 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Once it gets warm enough outside a lot more people will drop masks.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:51 AM

2,624 posts, read 1,219,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Will Covid obsessiveness ever end here, or is it just a part of the local culture now?
NYC has always fostered a culture of self-centeredness and self-absorption. Anything that could enable people here to prattle about their hardships or about themselves endlessly (e.g. "OMG I could've gotten covid from that toddler not wearing a mask at the park!") will be embraced and employed by a large number of self-obsessed people who live here.

Covid-obsession is not new to the culture, it is just another symptom of the self-obsessed culture that NYC promotes to the types of shallow, insecure narcissists who are drawn to here.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:53 AM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
NYC has always fostered a culture of self-centeredness and self-absorption. Anything that could enable people here to prattle about their hardships or about themselves endlessly (e.g. "OMG I could've gotten covid from that toddler not wearing a mask at the park!") will be embraced and employed by a large number of self-obsessed people who live here.

Covid-obsession is not new to the culture, it is just another symptom of the self-obsessed culture that NYC promotes to the types of shallow, insecure narcissists who are drawn to here.
As a born and raised Native New Yorker, I completely agree.

Old 04-11-2022, 12:55 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Covid is over. Been so for some time.

I don’t see anyone talking about. Most are sick of it and are too busy living life.
Denial must be bliss.

Old 04-11-2022, 12:56 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,219,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Denial must be bliss.
Covid is not over (probably never will be)

But the Pandemic is over.

Old 04-12-2022, 12:50 AM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
You think if you get infected while wearing a KN-95 mask it would reduce the severity of the illness? I’ve never heard that claim. I’ve heard that vaccinated people get less severe illnesses if they get infected but not that a mask would make infections less severe.
MASK COVIDIANS

Their mask is their virtue signal- a sort of MAGA hat, if you will. They signal to each other without having to speak a word, and see big daddy government as their savior

Old 04-12-2022, 05:36 AM

11,788 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
People need to research. But also use logic and common sense.

Masks reduce total partical inhalation. Initial viral load determines clinical outcomes. It is one of the single biggest determinants in case severity. The mask reduces your initial viral load ingested which gives your immune system more time to act.

And If masks don't work beyond preventing infection then why do medical professionals still wear them? The BA2 variant just requires fewer particles to infect. That is why even an N95 wouldn't be fool proof. But it would be foolish not to wear a mask just because it doesn't guarantee you don't get infected completely. It's the same logic as the vaccine. The vaccines don't prevent infection but they certainly prevent death and severe outcomes by allowing your immune system to respond quickly.

Have people not considered the reason death rates have plummeted: is because people such as myself are still wearing masks indoors and the risk taking people are already dead? It's morbid but 100% true and most ER physicians acknowledge this effect.

It's over 2 years into a pandemic that has killed 1M Americans but people still don't understand how viral pathology works. I get all my information from licensed medical Doctors. Look up Dr. Roger Sehelut and watch all of his videos.
You're the one that needs to research. You most likely caught the viruses outside - touching something and then touching your face. You are also lowering your immune system by constantly wearing masks. And all those numbers mean little as the numbers were inflated. More people died with a Covid diagnosis that had no impact on their actual death. In fact, those that died due to Covid would have died from the flu had it developed into pneumonia.

To answer the Op's question - Covid will last until the midterms - Hochul wants to be re-elected. TG - I hope to be out of this state before then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City