Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 01:56 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
You're thinking of a nuclear bomb. I think missiles are basically flying regular bombs.
ICBM's can carry conventional warheads and at highest trajectory (space) are doing 15,000 mph or that ballpark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 02:06 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
If you think you can get in your car and drive off you are insane. Traffic would be so bad you wouldn't be able to even get on the highway.
Unless you get a 24 hr head start, better stock up in booze.
People in NJ might get a better chance, Westchester too.
Anyone in NYC and LI is toast.
The blast radius of even the worst nuclear warheads is not as massive as people tend to think.

Centered on Manhattan, the actual fireball wouldn’t even reach the north shore of SI.

It’s the roads that will get lots of people killed because they won’t be able to escape the radiation. That’s where boats and jetskis come in.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-13-2022, 02:09 PM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The blast radius of even the worst nuclear warheads is not as massive as people tend to think.

Centered on Manhattan, the actual fireball wouldn’t even reach the north shore of SI.

It’s the roads that will get lots of people killed because they won’t be able to escape the radiation. That’s where boats and jetskis come in.
So you gonna escape the radiation on your Jet ski with kids the dog and a laptop? Or do you think your Tesla will get you out.
Again, unless you got a head start, once chaos hits, its total paralysis.

Old 04-13-2022, 02:32 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,944,967 times
My kids are no where near the north shore of SI. I’ll get them out of the hell hole of the city on the ski, blasting whoever needs to be blasted in my way, then hunker down in NJ until further movement becomes possible.

The vast majority of people are lemmings who’d run around like fools immediately, dooming themselves and others. Alternative transportation is a must in the event of a true disaster. Without it, you are always better off sheltering in place.

Oh and weapons. Lots of weapons and ammo.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-13-2022, 03:24 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
I saw this an urban prepper channel. It had a scenario where the person looked at their phone and the Citizen and Notify New York apps warned about "incoming nuclear missiles that should reach Manhattan within three hours" or something like that.

I don't think there is a solution for that problem unless you have access to fast watercraft.

Old 04-13-2022, 03:42 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
I would hope the US govt didn't squander our money and had some type of missile defense system.

I would go to my basement (The deeper you are, the greater the chance of survival). I always have enough food that can last me for one month.

If I survived after the month , I would done my hazmat suite (I need to buy a proper gas mask) and go out into the wild and hope that I can fight off other people who are out there scavenging zombie style.

Maybe I need to buy some food seeds and research hydro farming.

This is what the U.S gov't recommends in order to increase your chance of survival: https://www.ready.gov/nuclear-explosion. HOW TO SURVIVE A NUCLEAR EXPLOSION.

I can grow food indoors. I would have to find a home depot to get some soil. I don't think soil would be high on everyone's list so there would be less competition for it.

But if I died in a nuclear attack it would also be ok because I lived a full life.
You are about to turn us all into dooms day preppers.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:54 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,050 times
Quote:
My kids are no where near the north shore of SI. I’ll get them out of the hell hole of the city on the ski, blasting whoever needs to be blasted in my way, then hunker down in NJ until further movement becomes possible.

The vast majority of people are lemmings who’d run around like fools immediately, dooming themselves and others. Alternative transportation is a must in the event of a true disaster. Without it, you are always better off sheltering in place.

Oh and weapons. Lots of weapons and ammo.
You need a plan ahead of time. A way to get to a remote place literally off the radar if you will. Go bags ready packed, weapons, ammo, green thumb, seeds, hunting survival skills. Also a little luck would help.

Old 04-15-2022, 05:17 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
I'll head for the deepest forests near the base of any mountain.

Food, Water,Shelter.............

Old 04-15-2022, 05:26 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:
I’d hope not, but I’d still want them out of the city so we could start moving south as soon as necessary.
Well put, lol. That is when things start going South, right?

Old 04-15-2022, 05:33 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
ICBM's can carry conventional warheads and at highest trajectory (space) are doing 15,000 mph or that ballpark.
I wonder if Putin is stoopid enough to waste a perfectly good ICBM by sticking a dumb conventional bomb at the end of it, but OTH, the Russians ain’t looking too good right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City