Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 04:26 PM

15,883 posts, read 14,573,038 times

Advertisements

Or the NYPD could eschew political correctness, and just keep buying the ICE cars they been using successfully for generations.

Note, I bet the cops are using the AC/Heat in the cars when they're not rolling, so they will be draining them when they're stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The choices are either do slower level 2 charging while parked which would likely save quite a bit of money and adds over 20 miles of city driving range an hour or do faster CCS level 3 charging which adds range at a much faster rate supposedly 45 minutes from 10% to 80% range for the Mach E GT. I doubt, but maybe someone can confirm, the department's going to be installing level 3 chargers themselves but more likely they'd be using third party ones in which case the cost savings are going to be far lower. The thing with charging though is that the idea is to charge while parked--something that you do with vehicles anyways. This is in lieu of making dedicated stops just for refueling though that's also an option. I don't know how the usage pattern of these cruisers are going to be and whether or not these are a good fit for this use case.

Two other factors to consider are there's a lot of traffic so little of that driving is particularly fast, and there's a lot of start/stop. EVs use very little power when stopped as there isn't the kind of idling loss that internal combustion engine vehicles have. They also use very little power at low speeds and recuperate some of the energy that went into moving the vehicle back when braking rather than ablating that as just frictional waste heat from the brakes. This means that time needed between charging sessions will probably be quite long. It'll be an interesting trial--hope they make some of the data public. One thing I find a bit questionable about this choice is that the Mach E doesn't have a heat pump and so it has a notable dip in range when it comes to NYC's level of cold weather. Its battery pack is pretty sizable though so that gets mitigated somewhat, but still not great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 09:08 PM

37,309 posts, read 39,719,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Or the NYPD could eschew political correctness, and just keep buying the ICE cars they been using successfully for generations.

Note, I bet the cops are using the AC/Heat in the cars when they're not rolling, so they will be draining them when they're stopped.
Or people could consider not commenting with such confidence when they're pretty much incompetent when it comes to the subject matter.

EVs growing in new vehicle market share isn't really due to political correctness--people don't put their money where their mouths are for the most part especially not for purchases this large. These purchases generally have other advantages in terms of "refueling" costs due to electric powertrains being extremely efficient compared to internal combustion engines and the simplicity of electric powertrains and the very small number of moving parts generally means far less in maintenance costs and downtime. The problem with them right now is generally the initial purchase price is higher for EVs in most segments, so you need to have that capital upfront to "save" money on the equivalent vehicle which is not something most households really have. Even then, when it comes to basic logic, saying something having been around successfully for generations as rationale against adoption of new technologies is pretty stupid, right? It's not like police officers didn't exist before ICE vehicles and yet somehow police departments all around the world adopted them.

Note, I bet they do which is part of why EVs are generally better. That basic idling in order to run the AC or heat in cars when not rolling or when parked curbside or some such is a large part of why it's possible that the EV will end up running longer between fillups. There's only so much heat exchanging or waste heat transfer that is needed in order to cool or to heat up the cabin and idling generally burns fuel to run compressors and auxiliaries with potential far in excess of what is actually needed. EVs on the other hand generally use up as much power as needed so being parked on the curbside, stopped in traffic, or the like so far less energy is consumed than with their ICE equivalents. People go car camping in EVs with climate control on with several EVs having dedicated "camp" modes. As mentioned earlier though, I do think the Mach E GT might not be the best choice given the lack of a heat pump and NYC's winters. However, they probably had been vetting earlier before making this decision and the selection of vehicles at the time that would have worked was probably pretty limited compared to right now. I reckon someone's ran the numbers on it though so maybe it all still works out. I hope they release data on fleet performance as that'd be interesting. It's too bad Revel isn't public as there'd probably be a wealth of data there that they'd be more compelled to make available.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-19-2022 at 09:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: