Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 04:51 AM

43,748 posts, read 44,512,487 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if an individual r.s. tenant is allowed to install their own private security camera above their apartment's front door. I saw this recently above a neighbor's apt and being that this is on a wall that within a common area corridor/hallway. Would tenant technically have needed the landlord/management company's permission to install this (as it isn't within the apt. itself)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 04:54 AM

106,872 posts, read 109,133,761 times
Outside the apartment in common areas can be a privacy issue …

Hypothetically You can learn the coming and goings of other tenants to plan a break in , or attack a single woman or provide that info to others.

Other tenants may not want who passes by to visit them being documented .

So I would not do it out side the apartment..

Common areas can be frowned upon.

Even our building management won’t put up cameras and we have a guard house and guards who could monitor things.

A few years ago we had some vandalism in the garage to cars ..

The mgmt company said that they checked with their legal dept and they said doing so could make them liable for security and your property in the garage which they claim no responsibility for . nor do they want the guards reacting and put at risk .

My son who is an attorney confirmed that is correct ….by them monitoring it could be construed that they are assuming security responsibility

So cameras are a dangerous subject in common areas .

Nothing is a problem until it’s a problem and your neighbors don’t want it.

Legal firms have entire departments devoted to privacy issues

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-24-2022 at 05:59 AM..

Old 04-24-2022, 06:09 AM

1,075 posts, read 554,652 times
"My Neighbor’s Door Camera Faces My Apartment. Is That Legal?"

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/28/r...smid=url-share

Short answer is the tenant can't but the LL could consent (unlikely) and allow the tenant to do it , or the LL can put a camera himself.

Old 04-24-2022, 06:17 AM

It is never a good idea for the landlord to do it because it could make him liable for security issues

When a landlord installs security cameras it is like trying to be a little bit pregnant

Old 04-24-2022, 08:01 AM

43,748 posts, read 44,512,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
"My Neighbor’s Door Camera Faces My Apartment. Is That Legal?"

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/28/r...smid=url-share

Short answer is the tenant can't but the LL could consent (unlikely) and allow the tenant to do it , or the LL can put a camera himself.
Thanks for sharing the article. This isn't on my floor but definitely prevents privacy for tenant who lives next door to the neighbor that installed the camera as they are 2 corner apartments.

In any case it is good to know for future reference.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:01 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,158,785 times
I own a 1-family house and haven't installed cameras yet because I don't see the need to. But now I'm wondering if I ever do install cameras would there a be a problem with cameras installed on the sides of my home, because those cameras would of course enable me to see part of one neighbor's driveway and part of the side of another neighbor's house.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:51 AM

18,483 posts, read 31,684,723 times
One of the tenants in my co-op building has installed a camera on her door, she said packages have been stolen from her, and gets notices when someone is near her door, she asked me if I minded she had one, I said, not at all, it doesn't affect me and all and I think it is a good idea.

I think all floors of all buildings should have cameras. A few times we have had "wanderers" in our building and that does not make me happy.

I don't mind cameras at all. I think they are a good idea, especially in apartment buildings.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
One of the tenants in my co-op building has installed a camera on her door, she said packages have been stolen from her, and gets notices when someone is near her door, she asked me if I minded she had one, I said, not at all, it doesn't affect me and all and I think it is a good idea.

I think all floors of all buildings should have cameras. A few times we have had "wanderers" in our building and that does not make me happy.

I don't mind cameras at all. I think they are a good idea, especially in apartment buildings.
There are implied legalities that go with installing cameras when done by the building

They can find themselves in law suit after law suit as tenants have an expectation of monitored security

Old 04-24-2022, 12:47 PM

5,719 posts, read 2,634,347 times
A lot of people in my building have the ring camera on their door. I don't mind at all.

Old 04-24-2022, 01:16 PM

1,075 posts, read 554,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
There are implied legalities that go with installing cameras when done by the building

They can find themselves in law suit after law suit as tenants have an expectation of monitored security
In that case it seems like if the tenant puts one up, the LL should just ignore it and pretend they have no knowledge of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City