Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 03:37 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,511,318 times

Advertisements

serving on hand and foot is included in his pay.
They just come over and take away the dishes ,they did not cook the food nor do they have to clean up afterwards like scrubbing the pots and mopping the floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2022, 03:39 PM

34,134 posts, read 47,363,401 times
What level of restaurant are we discussing here?

$
$$
$$$
$$$$

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-11-2022, 06:08 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,749,767 times
If I couldn't afford to tip properly (and that's 20% for places with service, unless the service is terrible), I wouldn't eat out. The tip is part of the equation of whether you can afford to go out.

I don't believe in karma per se, but people who stiff waitstaff are asking for it.

Old 06-11-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
If I couldn't afford to tip properly (and that's 20% for places with service, unless the service is terrible), I wouldn't eat out. The tip is part of the equation of whether you can afford to go out.

I don't believe in karma per se, but people who stiff waitstaff are asking for it.
Seriously, stay home if you can't afford to tip. Or take it to go. Wash your own dishes at home and clean up after yourself.

Old 06-11-2022, 06:29 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,316,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Tip is based on level of service, what difference does it matter what the server makes

If you can't afford to tip well then you should eat out less

I don't eat out much because I can't afford to eat out all the time, but when I do, I can afford to show my appreciation to my server by leaving a generous tip (if the service warrants it)

Imagine somebody waiting on you hand and foot for your meal and you can't show your gratitude, that's pretty unclassy...just stay home then
If everyone stayed home when they couldn't afford a 20% tip, restaurants would be a lot emptier. lol Everyone is different. I often times even tip for counter service (I look when I'm in line at my coffee spots and such). Very few people tip and they're in places like Blue Bottle where some coffee drinks run north of $6.00.

Tips are not mandatory, so if someone decides to tip less than 20%, at least they are tipping. I get the impression that many people just want to treat themselves to something and can't afford say $40-50 to eat out. Let's be honest. To have a decent meal at most places (and I don't mean places like Per Se either where you're paying $200-300 a head), plus a tip, that is what you are spending.

Lots of people say support your local restaurants, and when people do, then they are bashed for not tipping 20%. lol No win situation. My routine is for delivery, I will do 15-20%. If I just happen to order an expensive item that inflates the bill, I'm not over tipping for that when there is nothing laborious about the delivery (I usually go down and wait to get my food, so the delivery people don't have to even come up). At some point it's like the customer is kissing *** and bending over backwards and they are ones spending the money.

For sit-down places, I tip 20%. If you're spending over $100, I am often times given a glass of wine on the house that is comparable to what the tip would be (assuming of course that I didn't order a bottle already and am just in the mood for jumping around with different wines). Knowing this, I make sure to tip that amount to show my appreciation, but again, with everything going up, I think those waiters should be thankful people are still eating out and tipping, even if it isn't 20%.

I went to pick-up my Japanese food and the place was quiet. They were thankful to get my $32.

Old 06-11-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
If everyone stayed home when they couldn't afford a 20% tip, restaurants would be a lot emptier. lol Everyone is different. I often times even tip for counter service (I look when I'm in line at my coffee spots and such). Very few people tip and they're in places like Blue Bottle where some coffee drinks run north of $6.00.

Tips are not mandatory, so if someone decides to tip less than 20%, at least they are tipping. I get the impression that many people just want to treat themselves to something and can't afford say $40-50 to eat out. Let's be honest. To have a decent meal at most places (and I don't mean places like Per Se either where you're paying $200-300 a head), plus a tip, that is what you are spending.

Lots of people say support your local restaurants, and when people do, then they are bashed for not tipping 20%. lol No win situation. My routine is for delivery, I will do 15-20%. If I just happen to order an expensive item that inflates the bill, I'm not over tipping for that when there is nothing laborious about the delivery (I usually go down and wait to get my food, so the delivery people don't have to even come up). At some point it's like the customer is kissing *** and bending over backwards and they are ones spending the money.

For sit-down places, I tip 20%. If you're spending over $100, I am often times given a glass of wine on the house that is comparable to what the tip would be (assuming of course that I didn't order a bottle already and am just in the mood for jumping around with different wines). Knowing this, I make sure to tip that amount to show my appreciation, but again, with everything going up, I think those waiters should be thankful people are still eating out and tipping, even if it isn't 20%.

I went to pick-up my Japanese food and the place was quiet. They were thankful to get my $32.
This is really not the complicated situation you're making it out to be

If you go out to eat you should tip well based on the service received

If you dont get good service, don't tip well

If you don't have enough money to tip well and eat out at the same time, then order it to go or stay home

Old 06-11-2022, 06:59 PM

8,700 posts, read 11,099,735 times
problem is service is usually subpar. This is true especially in nyc.

I went to various cities in Europe where tipping wasn’t the norm. Service was a few folds better than here. There are small restaurants where sometimes owner or chef will come out to chat with guests.

I think USA should scrap the whole tipping culture. It’s out of control.

Old 06-12-2022, 08:16 AM

25,382 posts, read 37,122,674 times
Quote:
Except then they're really not making more in actual purchasing power

Then the complaint for redress should go to the FED, not to another victim of inflation, the customer.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
problem is service is usually subpar. This is true especially in nyc.

I went to various cities in Europe where tipping wasn’t the norm. Service was a few folds better than here. There are small restaurants where sometimes owner or chef will come out to chat with guests.

I think USA should scrap the whole tipping culture. It’s out of control.
How much are waiters paid in Europe?

Context matters

Old 06-12-2022, 01:12 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,749,767 times
Interestingly, a small group of prominent NYC restaurants have tried going service-inclusive. There's been a lot of resistance. Everyone wants to feel like the petty dictator of their waiter, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City